I'm on a mission....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I was doing some planting and my dog was tagging along to be sure my rows were straight. While planting I found one of my bulls down with a broke leg. As I walked over to the bull a big coyote or a coy dog (I think its a coy) came out of the woods and stared at us. The coy looked at us and made some funny movements almost as if he was trying to lure Eli into the woods. Of course Eli gives chase and I call him back but the coy comes back and makes the same movements again. Again, Eli gives chase and I call him back again and thankfully he obeys. But the coy comes back again. Knowing I have to dispatch the bull I go to my truck and get a pistol and go back to the area and the coy comes out again and again tries to tempt Eli. I make my way toward the coy with the pistol but can't get any closer than about 100 yards so I take a shot at him but miss.(should've held the pistol sideways I guess) Anyhow, I dispatch the bull and go on about my business figuring the coy is in the next county.

Today, I was walking down a woods road near there and Eli was chasing butterflies and whatnots about 100 yards in front of me when this same coy dog charges out of the bushes and attacks him. Eli's first instinct was to fight him but after he got his butt wooped yesterday by a 140 lb yella lab he decides to obey me and he makes a b-line toward me with the dang coy dead on his heels. I yell and the thing keeps coming but finally turns about 20 yards from me.

Never had any dealings with these coy dogs and I don't know this for certain but it seems the coy was baiting Eli up for an ambush the first time and it seems he did a pretty fair job of ambushing him the second time. I'm now on a mission. Next time I'll be holding it sideways a using something with a little more reach. Ever seen anything like this?

Jogeephus":1psgzzip said:
About two weeks ago I was doing some planting and my dog was tagging along to be sure my rows were straight. While planting I found one of my bulls down with a broke leg. As I walked over to the bull a big coyote or a coy dog (I think its a coy) came out of the woods and stared at us. The coy looked at us and made some funny movements almost as if he was trying to lure Eli into the woods. Of course Eli gives chase and I call him back but the coy comes back and makes the same movements again. Again, Eli gives chase and I call him back again and thankfully he obeys. But the coy comes back again. Knowing I have to dispatch the bull I go to my truck and get a pistol and go back to the area and the coy comes out again and again tries to tempt Eli. I make my way toward the coy with the pistol but can't get any closer than about 100 yards so I take a shot at him but miss.(should've held the pistol sideways I guess) Anyhow, I dispatch the bull and go on about my business figuring the coy is in the next county.

Today, I was walking down a woods road near there and Eli was chasing butterflies and whatnots about 100 yards in front of me when this same coy dog charges out of the bushes and attacks him. Eli's first instinct was to fight him but after he got his butt wooped yesterday by a 140 lb yella lab he decides to obey me and he makes a b-line toward me with the dang coy dead on his heels. I yell and the thing keeps coming but finally turns about 20 yards from me.

Never had any dealings with these coy dogs and I don't know this for certain but it seems the coy was baiting Eli up for an ambush the first time and it seems he did a pretty fair job of ambushing him the second time. I'm now on a mission. Next time I'll be holding it sideways a using something with a little more reach. Ever seen anything like this?

Coyotes do it all the time around here. Almost cost my buddies Husky her life more than once. She caught a yearling though the other day and tore it a new one.

I can't say I've seen a lone coyote, wolf or feral dog do it, but I have seen pairs try to lure a dog something like that.

What's a coy dog?

MistyMorning":daaevtk2 said:
I can't say I've seen a lone coyote, wolf or feral dog do it, but I have seen pairs try to lure a dog something like that.

What's a coy dog?

A coy is a cross between a male coyote and a dog. I'm guessing coy due to its size. edit I hope I get a closer look shortly. ;-)

Jogeephus":36mv2xlf said:
MistyMorning":36mv2xlf said:

What's a coy dog?

A coy is a cross between a male coyote and a dog. I'm guessing coy due to its size. edit I hope I get a closer look shortly. ;-)

We had a group that was colored up like a bluetick and they were big. Joe there is a reason I have a 22 mag rifle on everything that moves around here.

Caustic Burno":31bskpia said:
Joe there is a reason I have a 22 mag rifle on everything that moves around here.

I agree. Normally I have a good selection in the truck but lately I've been going to the base and they frown on firearms at the gate. I'm at the house now re-arming. You can only go naked so long.

Geez, Jo, good thing your dog minds or you mighta lost him. Yep, sounds like that is one canine that needs to be dispatched.

But about the coy dog thing, it seems more likely to me that they would be offspring of a male dog and female coyote, and have been raised by momma coyote. Does it matter which parent is of which species to call them a coy dog? Or is it like the mule thing where a donkey stallion and a horse/pony mare produce a mule while a mating the other way around produces a jennet I think they are called??

I don't know anything about them but I agree with you that it shouldn't really matter but I don't know. The male thing came from wickipedia so it may be questionable. Based on what happened with some yellowjackets I think Eli would have brought the animal within my reach had it kept on.

Guys around here are using dogs as bait dogs- they send them out and they let the yote chase them back into firing range before they realize there are people close.
You can even sell a good bait dog for some nice money.

Training seems to be that the dogs that live-- learn how to play the game :)

other way around would be a "henny"
Mama must have been coyote,too tricky to be raised by a dog no matter how feral she was.
Folks we knew had a female SharPi..She would go hunting coyotes..She'd come in with a couple of small slashes on her hind legs and they'd find a couple dead coyotes in the pasture..
How big is Eli? You need to keep a sharp eye on him. :shock:

Does Georgia allow electronic calls? This time of year may be about right for some coyote pup distress sounds.
Bear

Joe get yourself an Airedale pound for pound toughest creature the good Lord made. When we used to run the yotes with hounds had Airedales as catch dogs.

take your deer rife yote hunting.an use the heavyload hollow point bullets.an that will blast a coy or yote apart.

peg4x4":1hppqnns said:
How big is Eli? You need to keep a sharp eye on him.

He's not but around 27 lbs. perfect snack for an alligator. His love for water has got me paranoid about this happening. Now I got these darn coyotes things to worry about.

bear":1hppqnns said:
Does Georgia allow electronic calls? This time of year may be about right for some coyote pup distress sounds.
Bear

I think so but I'm not sure. Don't really care. I bought a digital call today. I was too busy planting so I let a friend of mine use it and set him up near where I think they are denning. Within 15 minutes he had two in the field. He said one was a big tabby looking thing and the other one was red looking but big. That's the one that attacked Eli. Unfortunately he missed both of them just like he missed the two that were dragging a newborn calf off earlier this year. Yote fever?

The game is still afoot. I'm fixing to reek havoc on these things. Bought a new box of 22-250's today. WTF is it with this green stuff? It better shoot straight.

Alot of times the calls bring them to close to quick. If you are hunting close quarters you may want to consider coyote loads in 12 ga. heavi shot. I have carried both shotgun and rifle to a stand.
Bear

I've had pretty good luck using one of those weasel toy things you can buy at the Toys R Us. Placed in a field this will make them drop their guard when they see it and come out into the open well. Unfortunately I live about 25 miles from the nearest store that would have these but I'm thinking of making a trip there if I can come up with a better excuse. Possibly shopping for Mother's Day. :idea:

I sat one of those motorized weasels on the washing machine one time when the wife was doing laundry. WOW.
They work pretty good on coyotes too.
Bear

Latest posts