I'm new and she was new and we have baby

Help Support CattleToday:

presmudjo":2znwrdr9 said:
Well hus, I never got to ask pre weight at the slaughter house. And couldn't put the string around him to guess here either. I just wouldn't go in the pasture with him anymore. He looked healthy and we got 580 lbs out of him. Missed the liver, I don't know how it didn't get written down on the slaughter house ticket. Next year we will go with the hauler, just couldn't this year work intervened. A friend hauled him for us. So some info could have been missed. Yup we are glad we made the decision. Now I have a question. Can I milk some of her milk out to use myself? I don't want to take away from the calf. I wanted to see if she was kind enough to let me touch her and I squeezed some off of 2 of her teets. She seemed relieved. I know I have to wait a while, how long? before I even try this. Milk and a calf would be great. Oh real milk, how I would love that, been so long!! Like 30 years, oh how time flys and you don't even know it till ya calculate and think about it. I was surprised I actually made the things work. I was like 6 or less when Dad tried to teach me, but I always watched. Then the milking cows were gone and the farm was about done on that part. I wish he was still here to share with me, but somehow I think he still is watching over and helping out. Oh and the little bugger, if it really is a bull is Jethro, like NCIS, already educated so he won't act like Dad!!! Of course the band will be coming onto the little marbles.... Like at what age, week, 2 weeks, or.... Don't want to miss that opportunity. Artifical is the way to go here. Too small area for another Bull with attitude!!! Besides, don't want her and him making another either.

Oh and the Charlay... OK, however spelled, is probably mixed with something.

I don't know how the taste or quality of the milk would be because I have only had Jersey, Guernsey, or Holstein milk and never had any from beef cattle. Maybe someone else would know. But as far as my thoughts are; I would leave the calf with mama since she is a first timer and allow baby to get all necessary nutrients and not put a first timer through any more stress such as learning to stand for milking. I would let her main job be to raise the calf.

As for the jewels of the calf, the sooner the better for me. I would band him immediately and give him a tetanus shot to follow banding. Be sure to get both marbles before allowing the band to slip over them. (And move him temporarily away from Mama to do this).

How is the flavor of the other cuts of the beef. Have you had a chance to cook other parts yet?

:tiphat:
HUS

HUS":1uhbh1ej said:
I don't know how the taste or quality of the milk would be because I have only had Jersey, Guernsey, or Holstein milk and never had any from beef cattle. Maybe someone else would know.

:tiphat:
HUS

Depends on the cow, but there is no reason not to try it. We tried ours and it was delicious. We had limos, herfs, and crosses at the time so it was variable from cow to cow, and guess what? The cow that was raising the biggest calves had the richest yummiest milk.

Keren":22gs20p3 said:
angie":22gs20p3 said:
Here Keren, it is pronounced as presmudjo spells it. Sounds like "sharlay".

Huh, cool! They say you learn something new every day ...

Yes. You do learn. I thought that was a three syllable name.

Of course, I always thought OIL was one syllable too :D

Congratulations that everything went so well the first time. Smart move getting rid of the bull, too.

Your cow is in great condition but not too, too fat, and she seems to be focused on her baby, that's great. From the one picture, her ears and navel look like she has a little Brahman influence. Or Braymer if that's the lingo where you live.

MO_cows":3u36kkqu said:
Congratulations that everything went so well the first time. Smart move getting rid of the bull, too.

Your cow is in great condition but not too, too fat, and she seems to be focused on her baby, that's great. From the one picture, her ears and navel look like she has a little Brahman influence. Or Braymer if that's the lingo where you live.

Hey MO_cows,

Ha Ha ! You have it down pat as we say in NC.

Its all Braymer where we live. Most people in our area drag it out like this:

Braaa__muh

We still love the Brahman influence in NC. :clap: :clap:

HUS

2/B or not 2/B":1uhds4kv said:
Depends on the cow, but there is no reason not to try it. We tried ours and it was delicious. We had limos, herfs, and crosses at the time so it was variable from cow to cow, and guess what? The cow that was raising the biggest calves had the richest yummiest milk.
Yeah, for sure help yourself to some of that!! She will make enough ~ supply and demand. For your house hold you will not need so much. Used to milk our cows right into a cup!

I milk some of our beef cows once in a while when we're a little short and don't feel like going to town for the coffee whitener, there's really nothing wrong with it at all, the two cows I milk, one is half angus, the other is the daughter and half shorthorn...

angie":2swd0jzu said:
Used to milk our cows right into a cup!

YUCK !!!!!!!!! Even when we had a dairy I never drank raw milk, let alone warm straight from the cow...we had a lot of friends come and get raw milk all the time on the qt, plus Mr. HD drank it all the time ,and I would cook with it when it called for it. Also it is probably better for you but ,,,,,,,,nope still thinking about it>>>>>>>>>> NO WAY>>>>>>>>>> :???:

Really hills? :shock: :lol2: For some reason I find that really funny.

I think there is nothing better than warm milk fresh from the cow/goat.

We have been known to milk some of the quieter calves if we were running short on milk, same with my 'beef' goats before I had the dairy one.

Latest posts