I'm FINE

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and emotional.

Aaargh, feeling a little stressed lately. I am coming to the end (four weeks away) of the final year of my degree. And I have no, absolutely no, idea what I want to do next year. I mean, there are a lot of things I wouldnt mind doing ... I have thought about doing a dip ed, honours, a grad program with the DPI, just going out finding a job to start a career, getting just a normal job for a year to take some time off, even transferring into the vet science course. I mean, all of these options seem fine to me ... but the thing that worries me, is that I'm not ... passionate ... about any of them. There is nothing that makes me want to go YEAH, THATS what I'm going to do. Shouldnt there be something I feel that way about?? See, the thing is, I always always thought I would be doing the vet science course right off, and I mean everybody, I mean everybody teachers, uni advisors, family, friends, everyone told me I would have no problems getting in ... and I didnt get in. So I ended up doing the Animal Production Science degree, and the thing is ... I enjoyed it. Whether I would have enjoyed vet more, I dont know. But the thing is, I always thought that at the end of uni, I'd be a vet. Simple as that. But now, I am at the end of my degree ... and I dont know what I am going to do.

I've always known where my life was going - school then uni. I guess I'm a little scared because well, school is what I am good at. And before, I didnt have so many choices. It was school then uni, naturally. Because it was what was expected of the 'smart kid'. Everything is very unpredictable and I guess I am learning something about myself, I dont like change I dont like decision making and I guess I am chicken and I dont want to leave my safety zone.

How do you choose a direction to take your life down, if not for the rest of your life then for a significant portion of it? And is it a problem that I am feeling ... eh ... about the different directions I could take. If someone picked one out of a hat right now, I probably wouldnt object. I dont have strong feelings for or against any of them. I dont know, it just doesnt seem right to me. I guess I just always figured that you have a yearning to do whatever it is you end up doing - a passion. I just dont know what I want to be 'when I grow up'. Everyone else in my year has next year all planned and set. Everyone keeps asking me what I am doing next year. I DONT KNOW.

I'm sorry to whinge here, but I really need some guidance.

I can definitely relate. I did not make it into vet school either. To top it off due to a shortage of funds I had to leave before graduation.
What I can tell you is that you have no clue where life is going to take you.
I personally think that this, do what you like, is a bunch if hog wash. Do what you are good at that will make you money and learn to like it. Anything you do for a living turns into work. What you think you like after it turns into work may end up turning into something you hate. (Been there, done that.)
My advice would be for you to find out what you have the best aptitude for. Then find out what the best paying job would be regarding your aptitude. Get the further education necessary and go for it. You will be able to support yourself, your family, and buy into what ever you enjoy.
Like and dislike is most times doing what you are good at and developing the proper attitude.

The advice I gave my daughters was after college don't go get a job and think that is your career thre is nothing saying you can't change your mind if you don't explore all oppurtunities you never know what is out there and what you want to do just because you have a degree in something doesn't mean that is what you haveto work at for the rest of your life I haev one daughter that has a teaching degree and she works for a Dr. loves her job and makes more money one daughter has a pharmacuetical degree and she has a degree in Animal science and she is a beautician so just because the paper says you are something doesn't mean that is what you got to do with your life
Don't stress it is a big world with lots of oppurtunities and you will figure out what you want to do this isn't a life or death decision Just remember to BREATH :) :)

I can't improve much on the advice that has been given but I will say that I know what you are feeling. Been there. Personally, I stayed away from my element and ventured into areas where I had no ties and no safety net. I had no master plan. I just followed the paths as they lent themselves to me. Some led to bad situations some to better but all molded my future into what it is now and molded me into the person I am now.

Personally, I'm glad I left my comfort zone and fended for myself as I did. (actually had little choice in this as this is the weaning system my family uses) Had I not done this, I'm sure I wouldn't be the person I am now or have what I do now. Life's a journey. See all you can while you can. Meet all the people you can meet cause these networks of friends and aquantances will mean more in the long run than any piece of paper. Just my two cents.

Lifes path has many curves and hills.Whatever you do, be the best,work the hardest and get the dirtiest. Your education is something NOone can ever take from you, however it is not the end of learning, only the beginning. Lifes events sometimes change our direction but there is nothing you cant do if you set your mind to it.

Yep, good advice in the posts. Get a job. Working for a paycheck tends to give new focus to your life. School is not a career, besides, starting at the top leaves no room for improvement. ;-)

Keren":mruj21gg said:
Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and emotional.

Aaargh, feeling a little stressed lately. I am coming to the end (four weeks away) of the final year of my degree. And I have no, absolutely no, idea what I want to do next year. I mean, there are a lot of things I wouldnt mind doing ... I have thought about doing a dip ed, honours, a grad program with the DPI, just going out finding a job to start a career, getting just a normal job for a year to take some time off, even transferring into the vet science course. I mean, all of these options seem fine to me ... but the thing that worries me, is that I'm not ... passionate ... about any of them. There is nothing that makes me want to go YEAH, THATS what I'm going to do. Shouldnt there be something I feel that way about?? See, the thing is, I always always thought I would be doing the vet science course right off, and I mean everybody, I mean everybody teachers, uni advisors, family, friends, everyone told me I would have no problems getting in ... and I didnt get in. So I ended up doing the Animal Production Science degree, and the thing is ... I enjoyed it. Whether I would have enjoyed vet more, I dont know. But the thing is, I always thought that at the end of uni, I'd be a vet. Simple as that. But now, I am at the end of my degree ... and I dont know what I am going to do.

I've always known where my life was going - school then uni. I guess I'm a little scared because well, school is what I am good at. And before, I didnt have so many choices. It was school then uni, naturally. Because it was what was expected of the 'smart kid'. Everything is very unpredictable and I guess I am learning something about myself, I dont like change I dont like decision making and I guess I am chicken and I dont want to leave my safety zone.

How do you choose a direction to take your life down, if not for the rest of your life then for a significant portion of it? And is it a problem that I am feeling ... eh ... about the different directions I could take. If someone picked one out of a hat right now, I probably wouldnt object. I dont have strong feelings for or against any of them. I dont know, it just doesnt seem right to me. I guess I just always figured that you have a yearning to do whatever it is you end up doing - a passion. I just dont know what I want to be 'when I grow up'. Everyone else in my year has next year all planned and set. Everyone keeps asking me what I am doing next year. I DONT KNOW.

I'm sorry to whinge here, but I really need some guidance.

Keren

I read all your writing and started to laugh.

Guess what kiddo - you are normal. Hope that does not disappoint you.

I am old enough to be your Dad - so let me tell you what I have done in my life - you may be surprised:

I started out on a farm, went to school, worked in a slaughter house and pumped gas as well, quit school - ran away to sea for a while, went back to school, worked as a janior, quit school, went to work in a mine, went back to school, quit school, worked in the logging industry, went back to school - graduated - finally!

Went to Central America and participated in a fresh water pipeline build, got involved in a civil war, went back to sea, went back to the mines, joined the military, farmed at the same time, quit the military, went to work as a test pilot, got fired, went to work as an airline pilot in France - got fired (Anglo Franco thing), joined the military, quit the military, worked as a contractor for the military, sold financial securities, farmed, worked for the US Army Special Forces as a UAV instructor, joined the military - am now in the middle east on a 12 - 24 month tour of duty.

I left out a few things - but I just wanted to let you know life is an adventure. You can sit on your @ss and let it pass you by or you can grab on and go for it.

I have lived on all the continents except Australia and the Antarctic. I have been shot, stabbed and beaten up as well as jailed in a third world country. I have eaten on some great places and some crappy places - even dined with a couple of royals one time - my Rolodex has some serious names in it - all of who I am fortunate to have met because I have more nerve than Penny's pet pig when it comes to meeting folks.

Along the way I met a wonderful gal and married her - nearly tossed it all away a few years ago - slapped myself in the side of the head and realized what I had was definitely NOT worth tossing - it is now better than ever - and a lady from these boards (who I have never met face to face) set me on the right track - she knows who she is and no one else needs to.

You seem to think you are abnormal because you have no clue about what to do.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I think if people were honest, you might be surprized at how many folks you know feel exactly the same as you do.

When you are an old lady - many, many years from now, I hope that when you are laying on your death bed that you will be saying "Life was a blast. I lived it to the fullest. I am ready for the next adventure!"

So, here is a great piece of advice and it is not from me it is from someone who gave it to me. I have feminized it for your benefit

Look in the mirror.

Who do you see?

She is wonderful - so stop your moaning and complaining and beaching and whining and self doubting. The world is an adventure - go out there and find it - what you do today may or may not be you - If it is you then enjoy - if it is not you can change it. You will meet people who you love, like, dislike and truly detest - all of this will make you stronger and wiser. Learn from it. Enjoy your life

I took this advice nearly 30 years ago - it is still in my wallet - you do the same please.

Over to you.

Bez+

:) Thanks everyone.

I had a talk with one of my lecturers today and I have decided to go the honours path for next year, so I am just waiting to go into another meeting to hash out some ideas for my project work. Feeling a little better, but still overwhelmed by it all.

Jogeephus":fwaxjarx said:
I can't improve much on the advice that has been given but I will say that I know what you are feeling. Been there. Personally, I stayed away from my element and ventured into areas where I had no ties and no safety net. I had no master plan. I just followed the paths as they lent themselves to me. Some led to bad situations some to better but all molded my future into what it is now and molded me into the person I am now.

Personally, I'm glad I left my comfort zone and fended for myself as I did. (actually had little choice in this as this is the weaning system my family uses) Had I not done this, I'm sure I wouldn't be the person I am now or have what I do now. Life's a journey. See all you can while you can. Meet all the people you can meet cause these networks of friends and aquantances will mean more in the long run than any piece of paper. Just my two cents.

I like the weaning system. I am using it on my son now.

Now, if someone would please start using it on my step daughter. I am convinced that when she gets her law degree she'll go into medicine. I think she rather likes the security of being in school. She's been enough times. :secret:

My son told me the other day that he wanted to be a teacher. I told him that after he finishes his degree in Spring, he can go to work and do that on his buck. I furnish one degree only. I have anothe son to consider and I don't want him getting the short end of the stick when his time comes along.

Lammie ... I rather like the security of being in school too :oops:

But, I guess the diff. is that I have to pay for it. My parents do not pay for fees, or books, anything. I do still live at home but I pay rent. Not totally weaned, but slightly.

Latest posts