I'm behind

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I won't say it's the wettest spring I ever saw, but it's plenty wet. I haven't put down one grain of fertilizer. I haven't sprayed anything. My yard has even had to be neglected. It joins a hay field, and you can't tell one from the other. I'm about to the point of writing this year off. Anybody else far behind, where they should be?

I think a lot of folks are in the same boat. Am a month behind in getting Jiggs planted, 2 weeks behind in getting 23 acres fertilized, and a few weeks behind in getting hay equipment maintained. Like Caustic, I find other things to do indoors that have been put off for one reason or another. Normally mow the front ditch with the riding lawnmower; next cut will have to be with the Bushhog.

Wife and I are nearing the end of building a house so everything has been neglected. Did get my fertilizer spread a few weeks ago and bought a bigger rotary cutter. Maybe the new cutter will earn a little time back, yeah right.

I know in the grand scheme of life, my yard is small beans. It has me troubled the most. I'm pretty sure at this point, all I can do is is bushhog it (when it gets really dry), and use the hay rake to get it off.

Bigfoot":53k4d477 said:
I know in the grand scheme of life, my yard is small beans. It has me troubled the most. I'm pretty sure at this point, all I can do is is bushhog it (when it gets really dry), and use the hay rake to get it off.

Good thing about building my house in the woods, no yard to mow this year. :D

I agree with you about this being probably our wettest Spring in a while... I was fortunate enough to get all of the fertilizing done and about half of the spraying (all of the hay fields, and just started on the pastures). We should be done spraying by this weekend if the weather (wind and rain) hold off for a little bit. What I am behind in is my crop ground (vegetables and melons). Haven't even been able to start on it yet!

Behind some, but almost caught up now. It's taken me nearly 2 weeks to get the yard back in shape from the wet winter and early spring.

I'll start spraying next week.

I'm not too far behind . Did all the spraying at the house. Yard is cut . Live oaks trimmed. I don't put out fertilizer until the night time temp is above 70 . So I'm still good there. I need to patch some fence. But work is holding me up more than the rain .

Bigfoot,
It has been wet but probably not that far outside the normal range. I am pleased with this spring. Hay has the best prospects in many years. I have lots of grass. The temperatures have not fluctuated too low. Buds are in good shape. Love the red buds blooming.

Bowling Green news said last night 5th wettest April so far, if I remember right.

I actually hired a local fertilizer dealer to do mine with a Terra-Gator, real impressed with how wet of ground they get over without tracking it up. Got very little sprayed thought due to it being wet. Yard has been hard to keep mowed between the rains and it is always too tall.

On another note, it seems that I am always behind anymore.

With only one to two days per week that we can get anything done, it's been rough! Made some pretty nice tractor trenches with the last nice day. Stay on the drive!

I'm behind is a huge understatement for me. Not to far from really getting bent out of shape. For tobacco right now we normaly have all the ground plowed,and once over with disk. And start putting the first fertilizer down next week. I have half my ground plowed none disked. What I burned down for notill did not work, have to redo.
Cows all hay and pasture is fertilized, some pasture sprayed. New field of hay sowed, up and ditches washed in. 80% of calves on ground. One field of grass I sowed last fall should of been fescue and rye grass, some jack wagon put cereal rye in the mix. It is chest high and blowing over.
If it don't stop raining soon I will be in trouble on the tobacco. People keep telling me I will be wishing for this rain in a month. If this keeps up I won't have a crop out to worry about. The yard I would like to burn down one day when I go by with sprayer!

littletom":1aouyiyl said:
I'm behind is a huge understatement for me. Not to far from really getting bent out of shape. For tobacco right now we normaly have all the ground plowed,and once over with disk. And start putting the first fertilizer down next week. I have half my ground plowed none disked. What I burned down for notill did not work, have to redo.
Cows all hay and pasture is fertilized, some pasture sprayed. New field of hay sowed, up and ditches washed in. 80% of calves on ground. One field of grass I sowed last fall should of been fescue and rye grass, some jack wagon put cereal rye in the mix. It is chest high and blowing over.
If it don't stop raining soon I will be in trouble on the tobacco. People keep telling me I will be wishing for this rain in a month. If this keeps up I won't have a crop out to worry about. The yard I would like to burn down one day when I go by with sprayer!

Now thats a great thought. A nice green yard, what a waste of grass, gas, and time.

still have 3 ton of fertilizer to get out.. hoping i can get a lot of that out today and tomorrow.

I sprayed some yellow flowers last Sunday and was making ruts as I was spraying. Finally told the lady that I would wait a couple more days as I didn't want to rut the place up. I still haven't put out any fertilizer, but that should change next week. Was able to cut the yard yesterday and I should have tried to bale it.

Latest posts