Pull behind spreader?

Help Support CattleToday:

scheff

Reaction score
Hello, I have roughly 15 acres I'd like to spread some bermuda seed on this Spring - and another 30 acres next year if this goes well. I've disc'd the area and am looking for a good spreader to pull behind a 4 wheeler. Any advice? Also, once I've spread the seed, what's the best way to get it at the right depth in the soil - dragging again with some old tires or chain link fence? Thanks in advance - this will be my first attempt at this.

I was thinking 4 wheeler because I saw some pull behind 175 pound capacity spreaders out there, which I thought at ~10 lbs seed per acre would be sufficient. Also the cost of the spreader and ease of use made me think this might be a good way to go. But I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

I personally use a 3 pt hitch spreader to oversead and seed my stuff. it works fine for me. But hard to reach places that have size restrictions i can see why you want to use that though.

I would suggest an old cultipacker roller to cover the seeds, does a good job for me.

The pull behind spreaders should work ok as long as you have enough ATV muscle to pull it without overworking it.
The kind that mounts directly on to the ATV will allow you into tighter spots. I have a HERD ATV spreader that currently I have mounted to the front of my tractor that I unroll hay with....experimenting with seeding in front of the hay as I unroll it so the cows can tromp it in. I bought one of the 3 point hitch spreaders from Tractor Supply last year...it does a real good job if you have a lot to do.

Thanks for the input everyone - I appreciate it. And Cabo - I am also interested in the best way to get the seeds to the right depth in the soil... I'll check into a cultipacker roller. Thanks again!

Hydraulic chain drag with a 3 pt spreader does a good job.I seed as I drag the pasture each spring. The front of the drag creates a place for the seed. The spreader puts the seeds out about the middle of the drag and the back part of the drag covers most of the seed as well as leveling.

Latest posts