I'm back

Help Support CattleToday:

Donna nearly all corn has some trash in it when it comes from the farm, BUT the better managed feed companies will clean any corn they buy especially what they plan to bag. There is no excuse for feed to have cockleburrs in it and even worse is that management knew it and used it "as is" anyway.

upfrombottom":3n7acv7e said:
I thought cockle burs were obsolete. I haven't seen one since the invention of Roundup.

I was serious when I made this statement. I live in the Delta where at one time you had to pick them out of your socks and hair about every day you worked in the field. I would have to pick them out of the paws on my hunting dogs several times while on one hunting trip. I remember the commercial fishermen having nets full of them. In the last 10 years I haven't seen over three or four plants anywhere, but haven't seen any anywhere close to a field.

I'm sure they are more prolific in some areas than others. We had a few 2-3 years ago but haven't seen any since. Would have to cut them out of the dogs fur.

This is all I would need to know to get my money back! This is all you would need legally. According to the article below, the cocklebur seed is fatal at .03 percent of an animal's body weight. A 1000 lb cow eating 30 lbs of cocklebur seed is not going to happen. A man that takes in small amounts of poison, that is not a lethal dose, it does affect him, and he is able to tell you how it is effecting him.

I would worry that a low daily consumption of this would be affecting my herd the opposite direction I was heading.
http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plan ... r/all.html

SEND IT BACK!!!

IMPORTANCE TO LIVESTOCK AND WILDLIFE :
Common cocklebur is considered a nuisance by livestock producers. The
plant grows in barnyards, pastures, and around farm ponds where it is
commonly encountered by livestock. The spine-covered burs become
entangled in the hides of farm animals. Wool value is decreased if
entangled with common cocklebur [32].

Common cocklebur seeds and cotyledon leaves are poisonous to all classes
of livestock. Beyond the cotyledon stage, plants are not poisonous.
Consumption of seeds is fatal at about 0.3 percent of an animal's body
weight; however, the seeds are rarely eaten.

Chuckie":1silvsfz said:
This is all I would need to know to get my money back! This is all you would need legally. According to the article below, the cocklebur seed is fatal at .03 percent of an animal's body weight. A 1000 lb cow eating 30 lbs of cocklebur seed is not going to happen. A man that takes in small amounts of poison, that is not a lethal dose, it does affect him, and he is able to tell you how it is effecting him.

Chuckie double check your math. You said .03%...now that is .0003 x 1000...not much is lethal if your article is correct. A man that takes in a non lethal dose of a poison may not die but he might be better off if he did. Don't say it doesn't affect him.

BUT it's a matter of principal. Especially coming from a nationwide supplier of feed. I can assure you that a state feed inspector would have forced them to not only pick up the feed but destroy it. But this same feed company has also feed ruminant meat and bone meal to cattle in the past as well so it seems to be the type thing the do.

TexasBred,
I can't BS anything past you and Lucky_P! Yes, my math was really bad there, and it is getting worse. :nod:
I do agree that it is the matter of principal, and a good business man would make it right.
But I have heard of people refusing to stand behind their dealings as business men with people for some of the lamest reasons.
We all know there will be a certain amount of trash in the feed. I do run across a cocklebur or two when I purchase a sweet type of feed (which I have not done in a while).

The feed store man would say that he was at the botton of a hopper when he mixed the feed if it was a mix.. Or he was cleaning out a bin.....etc..........

My thoughts would be as everyone else, if I wanted cockleburs to feed, I would have cut the corn down.

I was trying to think of a legal reason that would influence a judge if she had to go to court to win her case.
Chuckie

Chuck unless something bad happens to an animal I'm sure there's nothing you can do. BUT you would think you would be dealing with people who had enough knowledge about their business to make sure such things don't happen. Guess it's no worse than finding a dehydrated rate in a bag of feed or something like that. :lol2: I always figured when they come up with that "cleaning out the bin" and such they were lying and covering their behind. If it needs to be cleaned, anything that comes out of it should be trashed.

Latest posts