illegal steals from house, jury pays her fine.

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":2pol4s6y said:
There's a lot more to things,,,than just the replaceable part..a lot of memories those idiots don't see,and don't care attached to em...
Wedding rings and some rings in general for the ladies, and guns for the men, that are passed down from one generation to the next are unreplaceable. And really a family heirloom of any kind can't be replaced.

ddd75":2bnd5pc1 said:
The trial seemed utterly ordinary.
A 19-year-old maid....pregnant with her second child.... they convicted her of the felony.
"Justice had to be done," said juror, Janice Woolridge, explaining why
the panel imposed a felony conviction.
"But there's also got be some compassion somewhere.... We just couldn't pile on any more."

Mendez Ortega reportedly felt bad about the theft, admitted to her boss that she had the rings and turned them over to him. The police were contacted and Mendez Ortega confessed to them as well, saying she returned the rings after learning they were valuable. The police had her write an apology letter to Copeland, in Spanish, which said in part, "Sorry for grabbing the rings. I don't know what happened. I want you to forgive me."

At trial, the facts were not really in dispute. The jury did not hear from Mendez Ortega during the case....

Ortega's lawyer, said... I think the jury saw this case for what it was: a teenager who had never been in trouble before who made a really bad decision, but then tried to make it right when her conscience got the better of her."
To even suggest this case should be treated the same as a child molester is beyond outrageous.

The jury is, of course, free to do with their own money whatever they choose.
But, personally, my sympathies lie with the victim of the crime.

kenny thomas":h3389f1z said:
Son of Butch":h3389f1z said:
All material items... rings, jewelry are replaceable.... and were returned.
So if i steal your cows, get caught, they return them to you, you won't press charges? Plus you will pay my haul bill. I win either way. Cows are replaceable.
You skipped the part where you turned yourself in, confessed, asked me for forgiveness, were jailed and convicted
of a felony as though charges weren't pressed.

Not trying to condone stealing as it is definitely wrong, but I am of the mind set that showing some compassion to a young person, who is struggling may well be better in the long run than angrily throwing the book at them and imprisoning them with hardened criminals which could lead to a life of crime for her. Hopefully she can see the mercy shown, and make good choices going forward.
I see on a near daily basis folks who struggle to get by, probably most have not made good decisions as far as being responsible and trying to hold a job, then throw in addictions, and it's a vicious cycle. It really is hard to come out of a bad situation once a person is there.

talltimber":1imnglx0 said:
Then dont get there. No problem.

Good, sound advice, unfortunately many are born into situations that are already existing "there". The only examples they see are from family members and folks from the surrounding areas, that live in similar circumstances. Often times when they hear someone advise them not to do things that are bad for them, it's almost like a foriegn concept. It takes a lot of effort, to overcome, and sadly few do.

I wouldn't throw the book at her but I would definitely punish her. I sure as heck wouldn't pay her fine. If asked to give her money I would reply she ain't scratching my back so I ain't scratching hers but in a less polite way with words that would get me a vacation on here.

Ky hills":2jgh5xtc said:
Not trying to condone stealing as it is definitely wrong, but I am of the mind set that showing some compassion to a young person, who is struggling may well be better in the long run than angrily throwing the book at them and imprisoning them with hardened criminals which could lead to a life of crime for her. Hopefully she can see the mercy shown, and make good choices going forward.
I see on a near daily basis folks who struggle to get by, probably most have not made good decisions as far as being responsible and trying to hold a job, then throw in addictions, and it's a vicious cycle. It really is hard to come out of a bad situation once a person is there.

Around here its walk in hiring on the spot 15.00/hr +++ I do not feel sorry for anyone who steals or manipulates people.

The problem is.. everyone has shown mercy to these types of people. They do not care what they do, who they hurt, or if they get caught. They know they will either get rewarded or a very small punishment. So the cycle WILL repeat.. with them and the kids.

hopefully ICE visits her.

ddd75":r99ojd2e said:
Ky hills":r99ojd2e said:

Around here its walk in hiring on the spot 15.00/hr +++ I do not feel sorry for anyone who steals or manipulates people.

The problem is.. everyone has shown mercy to these types of people. They do not care what they do, who they hurt, or if they get caught. They know they will either get rewarded or a very small punishment. So the cycle WILL repeat.. with them and the kids.

Not arguing, because I agree with you that some may have been shown mercy at some point, and they still don't care, I see that behavior pattern quite a bit. It is my understanding of the story in the original post, that the individual did have second thoughts and turned over the stolen items. Therefore it is my interpretation that she was not a hardened careless criminal at that point. It does me no good to hope bad for anyone.

ddd75":29a9eehe said:
Ky hills":29a9eehe said:

Ever hear of the Ghost of Christmas Past.

ddd75":i5n56utr said:

The problem is.. everyone has shown mercy to these types of people. They do not care what they do, who they hurt, or if they get caught. They know they will either get rewarded or a very small punishment. So the cycle WILL repeat..
Virginia minimum wage is $7.25/hr she was working for $7.50/hr.... not $15/hr as if that mattered.
Unless you think a $15.00/hr minimum wage prevents theft.

So of the up to 20 years in prison what would you consider the right amount of time and fine for her?

IF you wish... you may consider the police questioned all 3 maids. All said they didn't do it.
The police could not prove any of them did it and all were free to go.

Later she became remorseful, (blowing your they don't care theory) she confessed to her boss and gave the rings to
him to return and she confessed to the police. She cooperated by writing an apology letter suggested by the police.
(Because the police wanted to sew up an airtight case with a written confession.)

Unknown to her, the police and the prosecutor never even bothered to inform the Copelands of the apology letter.
Just to address the possible, I can't believe she didn't even apologize, concern of some people.

Was she remorseful or did she get scared of being caught and thought maybe if she returned them they wouldn't press charges? And I don't accept a written note sent through a third party to be an actual apology

Latest posts