ILL AFTER DEWORMING???

Help Support CattleToday:

countygirl

Reaction score
I dewormed my horse yesterday she is about 2 years old and did have worms. She was fine this morning when my father fed them but this evening she hardly touched her food and wants to lay down. I took her outside and walked her around and she wanted to eat grass and run around and seemed to be ok then but as soon as i put her back in the stall she did the same thing. Does anyone have any helpful advice it would be appreciated? thank you

If she had a heavy worm infestation, she could just not be feeling well due to the worming - it's not unusual. Is this her first time for being wormed? I would just keep a close eye on her for colic or other possible side-effects and let her get it worked out (no pun intended). If she still isn't eating within a day or two, I would consult with my vet. Is she drinking water? As long as her water intake remains level, a day or so without food isn't going to cause problems considering the circumstances. I wouldn't let it go much longer than 24 - 36 hours max without talking to my vet. When she does start eating again, give her several small feedings and gradually work her up to what she was eating before - don't just hit her with the usual amount of hay or whatever you are feeding her.

I know folks who've had horses colic - and die - after being wormed when they had a heavy parasite load. I've actually heard it recommended to split the worming dose, and give half on day 1, then the other half of the tube several days to a week later. That way you don't have ALL the worms die at once and create a blockage.

From the symptoms - not wanting to touch feed and laying down - I'm thinking she has a (mild?) case of colic. Depending on what she's worth to you, giving the vet a call tonight or having him/her come out might not be a bad idea.

Horses can get a blockage of worms. If the horse is loaded with worms and they all die then she tries to pass them all at once they will create a block in the intestine. I would call the vet. Treat it like a colic. Get some banamine to help her relax. And some mineral oil to get things moving. I hope she feels better.

I my opinion all the prior post are right on the money. Is she still passing pooop? Did you worm the proper dose for her weight and use a approved horse wormer? I agree with the statements of a big parasite infestation. It does sound like she is having a bit of colic and I would really get some Banimine to her, if you have a regular Vet they may sell you a couple of tubes to keep on hand.

Hows she doing this morning?

Good luck

Alan

Thank you everyone for your advice it was most appreciated. She is now doing fine and back to her normal self but she did pass a large amount of worms.

countygirl":1l88bq98 said:
Thank you everyone for your advice it was most appreciated. She is now doing fine and back to her normal self but she did pass a large amount of worms.

Great news! You should probably worm her again in about three months. You will want to use a different type of wormer (different active ingredient), to get any that the worms missed and any of the eggs that have hatched out.

Would be wise to put on a regular worming schedule.

Again great news!
Alan

Latest posts