Ike

Help Support CattleToday:

I wasn't trying to stir the pot. Just meant that officials often sugar coat their words or at least weigh them very heavily before speaking rather than just putting it plain and simple. Leave or die doesn't leave much room for debate. Haven't heard about the SS numbers on their arms. This gives a visual picture some of the slower folks can understand.

spoon":1dxytzh7 said:
Alice":1dxytzh7 said:
Jogeephus":1dxytzh7 said:
Heard on the news the gov't told them to evacuate or die. Pretty stong words coming from people that are normally PC.

Huh? What's PC got to do with anything? The people were warned...they made their choices...I'm not understanding your point.

Alice

Most PC political, public figures don't say things like you're gonna die because their livelyhood depends on votes. I guess they figure dead people can't vote against them. Good call Jogeephus. At least that's my take on it.

Officials have history behind their statment this time. It is well known fact (around here anyway) that Galveston was almost wiped from the map in 1900. Some 8000 people died. So they are not just making some off the wall comment. Wasn't nearly as populated as it is now either.
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/galveston.htm

They've added Hispanic names and talked about adding African-American names. Like I said, they should have just left them with female names. My name has already been retired in 1979 with Frederic that hit Mobile Al. I'm afraid there will be loss of life down in Galveston. The storm surge is the big killer, not something to take lightly as some have.

There's lots to be gained heeding the advice of authorities in this case. Your life and those around you are most important.
I'm pleased we live in a very settled quiet and safe part of the world. Our biggest dangers are, a thunderstorm occasionally,snakes and bad drivers on the road. And the biggest mongrel of them all Cancer.
Batten down the hatches. its a nice warm day with just a gentle breeze here at our place in the mountains.
Colin

john250":1w9x1wix said:
If you choose to stay, get a sharpie and put your SS number on your arm==so we can identify your body.
That is a strong warning, and maybe a little over the top. But if it comes to pass as predicted, correct.
If you aren't out by now, may God's grace be with you.

I heard an official on the radio that said anyone who violated the mandatory evacuation order from GI faced certain death.

Someone told me they heard an advisory telling people that chose to stay to tie themselves to something that would float so the rescue teams would have an easier time finding the bodies.

perda04":1uemm071 said:
I heard an official on the radio that said anyone who violated the mandatory evacuation order from GI faced certain death.

Someone told me they heard an advisory telling people that chose to stay to tie themselves to something that would float so the rescue teams would have an easier time finding the bodies.

I heard the one about writing your SS# on your forearm...I think it was the Mayor of Freeport who said that, and seriously, if any of you have been down to Surfside, you know why. Right now, the entire town is under water and water has risen about half way up the one causeway over the canal into the town that truthfully ends right on the sand at the water's edge.

That being said, not a single drop of much, much needed rain here in CenTex.

The rescue crews and Nat'l Guard can't get the birds into the air during the storm what with the high wind and all, to go rescue ID 10-T's that chose to stay. By the time the storm has passed and the wind has died down, it may be too late for those folks, hence the "leave or die" statements. However, rest assured that our own Texas Nat'l Guard, who were first on the scene at that "other little storm" in LA 3 years ago ahead of their own Nat'l Guard, are in Brazoria ready to hit the air as soon as the winds die down. Other states have also sent in contingencies, so there are more than enough "helpers" to get out there to pick people off their roof tops. Frankly, there are so many Nat'l guard soldiers out there waiting for the storm to pass, I'm kinda worried about them running into each other! :)

its 915am here theres not much wind blowing nor is it raining here.i really thought we would get rain today.

TR, I can understand the no rain frustration. Finally started getting some rain about 9am. Raining pretty good right now, hope it keeps up. Was hoping we would get upwards of 5 or so inches, I've got cracks in the ground 2 inches wide and 3 feet deep.

I wonder, most everthing that was happening this weekend was cancelled or postponed. Are them Bohemians in Caldwell still having that Kolachie Festival? Haven't heard if it has been cancelled or not.

1982vett":3ckaxa8v said:
TR, I can understand the no rain frustration. Finally started getting some rain about 9am. Raining pretty good right now, hope it keeps up. Was hoping we would get upwards of 5 or so inches, I've got cracks in the ground 2 inches wide and 3 feet deep.

I wonder, most everthing that was happening this weekend was cancelled or postponed. Are them Bohemians in Caldwell still having that Kolachie Festival? Haven't heard if it has been cancelled or not.

I heard that as of yesterday afternoon, it was still on, but a lot of the vendors weren't showing up. That may have changed since then though. Looks like Washington county is getting hammered! :) Yay! (we have property in Washington County) But, No rain in CenTex yet...I'm gonna go out and count cows to make sure none of them have fallen into the cracks in this ground! :) Great to hear you're getting some relief!!

TR":3h92ykm7 said:
Looks like Washington county is getting hammered! :) Yay! (we have property in Washington County) But, No rain in CenTex yet...I'm gonna go out and count cows to make sure none of them have fallen into the cracks in this ground! :) Great to hear you're getting some relief!!

Them cracks are bad. Had a bull come up missing a couple weeks ago. Found him with a hurt hind leg. Only thing I can figure is he managed to step of in one of the big ones while trying to take care of business.

Latest posts