jfont

Reaction score
100_1360.jpg

Rounding up loose cattle

100_1363.jpg

marsh cane washed up on road

100_1383.jpg

100_1385.jpg

Two of nine dead cows I seen from the road, many more out in the marsh.

I bet there will be some fat gators and buzzards. Guess they do a service cleaning up the land. Will the salt water make the grass bad for the cattle to graze? My thoughts are with the people that have lost property and livelyhood.
Fred

rounding up the loose cattle an cleaning up the dead cows will be rough.an then theres the fences to have tobe rebuilt.

Fred Belknap":1unm5k5x said:
I bet there will be some fat gators and buzzards. Guess they do a service cleaning up the land. Will the salt water make the grass bad for the cattle to graze? My thoughts are with the people that have lost property and livelyhood.
Fred
Yeah, between the gators and crabs, whatever is dead in the masrh wont be there long. About the grass, I'm not sure. I just have a camp down there, I'm farther north and don't have the saltwater. Good question though, I'll have to ask.

Jo, The smell isn't too terrible yet, but those balloons didn't pop yet either.

Just in case anyone would like to help those affected by Hurrican Ike. I'm sure there is an assistance program in LA too, but I'm not aware of it.

This article ran in one of the local papers this weekend......

Livestock also affected by Ike
Eddie Baggs: Livestock also affected by Ike

03:03 PM CDT on Saturday, September 20, 2008

Eddie Baggs When Hurricane Ike passed through Chambers and Jefferson counties, it also took fences with it. Leaving an estimated 20,000 head of displaced cattle and horses.

Those animals that survived the storm and floodwaters are now searching for fresh water and forage.

Most of the fresh water sources were taken over by seawater as a result of swells that reached 20 feet. Bales of hay are now being set alongside some farm-to-market roads in those counties where livestock are known to be roaming and searching for food.

Relief efforts are being coordinated by many state and local agencies as part of the Texas Department of Public Safety's Governor's Division of Emergency Management.

But, there is a great need for hay, water troughs, feed stocks such as range cubes, and cash contributions to help keep these animals alive.

Contact sites have been established for those who can help.

To make a tax-deductible cash or credit card donation, please call 979-845-2604 or visit http://agrilifeevents.tamu.edu and follow the prompts to "No Fences" Hurricane Ike Horse and Cattle Relief.

To make a donation of hay, feed, water troughs, transportation or other in-kind donations, call the Texas Department of Agriculture's Hay Hotline at 877-429-1998 or 1-800-835-5832 and press zero.

EDDIE BAGGS, county extension agent with the Texas AgriLife Extension Service in Denton County, can be reached at 940-349-2880.Texas Gal
Trail Boss

The first week or so it was just survival mode. Now they are penning cattle & sorting by brands. I know several big guys that have shipped 2000- 6000 hd out west. Some are having complete dispersals...1 guy is selling 2200 hd. & he lost 80 % of his 500 lb. average calf crop...I still got pairs showing up in my pastures & stray calves. Never seen so many texas rangers in my life!!!

[. Never seen so many texas rangers in my life!!![/quote] Are they out there to make sure the cattle go to the rightful owners ? In Cameron parish we had to go threw a check point to get in and one to get out. Mostly to keep looters out. If you didn't have a good reason to be in there you wern't going.

Yep, right now if you got cattle in a trailer here you better be able to prove you own them...the rangers (3) were there when he loaded the 2200 hd. & there when he unloaded in Sealy....

Latest posts