Identify this weed?

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy-

Reaction score
Can you help me positively identify this weed? I tried several herbicides but it didn't kill them in my test pasture.

weed.jpg

What do the flowers look like or at least the color. If the stem is woody you may need to hit it with remedy. Neigbor has used roundup and 2,4-d on serecia for a ocuple of years and the most he gets is some wiliting. This year he finally used Remedy and the stuff is dead.

dun

I don't know what that is but I bet Remedy and Grazon will kill it.
A wiper bar and round up should also work.

How about some more pictures of that weed and where it is growing.

I used Prosecutor and I think it made them greener :lol: I used Remedy and they wilted a little and it killed the grass around them.

Dun, I am not sure what color the flowers are. I suspect they would be yellow but I keep cutting them off before they bloom.

Ala, they are growing in a very high and dry horse pasture and sandy soil. I suspect the heifers that were in there last year left them as a present. :lol:

I guess I need to make a wiper. Was going to spray but hate to risk anything if I don't know exactly what to use. I may try Roundup with a wiper.

That is some mean wead if Remedy won't kill it.
It is just a thought, but that weed looks somewhat large to kill this time of year. So you may have trouble killing such a large weed. I would try to keep them cut so that they don't seed out and spray for them next spring.
Take a look at "Surmount" Some of the guys around me are uesing it on pasture and like it a lot. It is killing some deep rotted weeds and it will stay with you a while.

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/surmount.htm

alabama":2w462dmw said:
That is some mean wead if Remedy won't kill it.
It is just a thought, but that weed looks somewhat large to kill this time of year. So you may have trouble killing such a large weed. I would try to keep them cut so that they don't seed out and spray for them next spring.
Take a look at "Surmount" Some of the guys around me are uesing it on pasture and like it a lot. It is killing some deep rotted weeds and it will stay with you a while.

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/surmount.htm

I actually started spot spraying these things when they were much smaller. I picked that one so I could get a decent picture. I will keep spot spraying or wipe until I find something that works. May try some Roundup on them tonight.

Beefy":e0btrt3i said:
if all else fails digging them up sometimes helps.

Take beefy's advice and buy a hoe. Better yet rent a hoer. Then try and explane it to your wife.

alabama":3u7p6j0g said:
Beefy":3u7p6j0g said:
if all else fails digging them up sometimes helps.

Take beefy's advice and buy a hoe. Better yet rent a hoer. Then try and explane it to your wife.

Ha, don't have a wife. Does that mean its ok to rent hoer?

Beefy":1ru81a4g said:
preferably rent a hoer that can pull weeds too.

do they have thoses kind of hoers,,,,,you guys are to much. thanks for the laugh, it was a bad day at the office.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2pzzz1f7 said:
Take it to your local NRCS office.They will ID it and tell you what to use to kill it. ;-) :cboy:

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Fortunatly it's only in my horse pastures right now.

I went out and wiped them with Roundup last night. Well a few. I have to find something to spray them with because there are just way too many to wipe especially since my Bahia is as high as they are.

MikeC, that was a good one. ;-)

Update. Ok, I made a hand wiper out of a piece of PVC pipe and some cotton rope. Went into the pasture one night with Roundup and wicked a bunch of those suckers. The next night I went to a different patch and wicked them with 2-4D. The round up just made the tops turn yellow and did NOT kill them. The 2-4D smoked em in about 3 days. I guess something in 2-4D is the trick. Now I just need a couple days of no rain so I spray them little devils.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3qy8x3e2 said:
Take it to your local NRCS office.They will ID it and tell you what to use to kill it. ;-) :cboy:

Looks like Poor Joe (Rough Buttonweed) to me. I'd take it to the county extension office. If they don't know they will contact the state university.

farmwife":28ph2vu2 said:
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":28ph2vu2 said:

Looks like Poor Joe (Rough Buttonweed) to me. I'd take it to the county extension office. If they don't know they will contact the state university.

Nope not Buttonweed. I know I am getting more and more of them and I haven't been able to spray as the rains have started here finally.