ICE ???

Help Support CattleToday:

What exactly is the difference between sleet and freezing rain? I always thought they were the same thing, but I keep hearing on TV they said there will be sleet AND freezing rain. That thick ice can be some dangerous stuff. I heard that 1/2 inch of ice can add 500 pounds to a power line, which can easily take the lines down.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":3i5ui4p6 said:
What exactly is the difference between sleet and freezing rain? I always thought they were the same thing, but I keep hearing on TV they said there will be sleet AND freezing rain. That thick ice can be some dangerous stuff. I heard that 1/2 inch of ice can add 500 pounds to a power line, which can easily take the lines down.

Sleet freezes on the way down when it passes through a sub-freezing parcel of air and lands as ice pellets. Freezing rain falls as a liquid and freezes on contact with a sub-freezing surface.

The results of freezing rain. Not a tree spared.
Been on the generator since Fri. night.
Having to drive 30 miles to find gas.
IcestormJan1220063.jpg

dj":32mg89uz said:
The results of freezing rain. Not a tree spared.
Been on the generator since Fri. night.
Having to drive 30 miles to find gas.
IcestormJan1220063.jpg

Yuck!

Alice

Pad Locks are all frozen as well as gates, Gate Latches ,Barn door Latches, everything had a thin sheet of ice encapsulating it. Put the Cattle in the Rye, put out some hay, worked on the spilway of a Tank that over the summer, we increased in size by about 100%. Spilway was approx one foot high. Fixed it with some Blade work. This was one COLD workday at the Ranch. Pretty out there though.

Today was the first day the ice hit here. We have just a little bit covering everything, but the sleet is supposed to keep falling all night and the temperature wont go above freezing for another day and a half. Classes are all cancelled for tomorrow, supposed to be the first day back for the semester, and I have a feeling they will still be cancelled Wednesday too.

After feeding the cattle earlier I tried to hop on the 4 wheeler to go check everything out but the keyhole was frozen shut. Plus the starter button and throttle were frozen too. Has a thin layer of ice covering both 4 wheelers, so I went by foot

How cold does it have to be for some of the big puddles of water to freeze over? We have lots of standing water and Ive never even experienced any ice storms or even a period of freezing temperatures this long.

Latest posts