ICE ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
Anybody on here getting Ice from the storms that have been talking about on the TV/radio for the last 24 hours or so?

Provide general location, amount of ice now, expected, damage to trees, buildings, etc.

I would rather have a foot of snow here in Alabama than 1" of ice. The young pines we have on our timber property don't like ice.

In a few years, you'll be able to remeber the ice storm in your pines by the forks they create. Ice will really set you back if poles are one of your goals.

We got some ice from this storm, not too much though. We still have electricity....so far. The rain stopped falling about dark yesterday and it started sleeting. That's better than freezing rain, I think. It's already frozen, so it doesn't seem to bother the powerlines as much. They say another storm will come in today. We're not expecting above freezing temps for several days. Cold weather isn't unusual here, but it generally only lasts a day or two, then the sun comes out and it warms up. This is going to be a longer spell.

Several years ago there was a really bad ice storm here. Some of the big pecan orchards looked like a war zone, broken trees and branches all over the place. Maybe this one won't be so bad.

The tempature has dropped from 67 to 45 since 9:30. We've gotten a little rain here but friends around Austin and to the north are talking about 5+ inches. A couple posted picture on our home board of water up to the bottom strand of their fences and running.Z

allenfarms":2qrrpg0z said:
Nothin But Rain! ;-)
its cold here 34 right now.it rained during the nite.but has stoped for now.will have to see if we get ice in the morning.supposed tobe in the 20s tonite.

We dodged another bullet here. Ice storm warning for last night and this morning has been cancelled. Lots of rain but temp stayed about 34-35 last night so no freezing. We're right on the edge 'cause folks less than an hour west and north have had quite a bit of ice and many have lost power again. Exact same thing happen about a month ago.

In our little "microclimate" nitch on US 83 between I-40 and US 287, we will be in 15 to 30 deg F range for several more days. About 1/4" sleet/ice on stuff. US 83 is open around here...traffic moving fairly well.

Expecting 2 more cold "waves" to pass thru here over next 2-3 days...

Where's summer!!! (In Antartica: This morning we in mid to upper 30's down there).... Moscow, Russia was about same temp...

It was 12 degrees above this morning and we had some freezing rain and some sleet last night. Roads werent all that bad this morning and we havent lost power yet so things seem ok for now but we are supposed to get 3-5 inches of sleet and snow combined tonight. Hope they are wrong. JHH

Sleet just started tonight, but expected to stick around until Wednesday. Until then the temp is supposed to be right around freezing or below. Have I ever mentioned I hate the cold?

Alice":2vjzl6c6 said:
VanC":2vjzl6c6 said:
We dodged another bullet here.

We didn't...

Alice

Alice I went down to the bend yesterday to pick up hay for the cows here at the house. A cedar tree that is probably 30 inch diameter at the base and 24 inches diameter 40 feet up, was laid down. I left some of these old growth cedars in the thicket. Ice is bringing some down.

I moved the cows to the other side of the road and they were in the wheat and turnip field, bedded down on the south side of the brush thicket.

The gate at the road was a solid sheet of ice. I wish I would have had a camara.

Here at the house we have some ice but not nearly as much as there is down there, just 20 miles away.

Ice can tear down more power lines in 5 hours than you put back up in 3 weeks. Been there done that many times in several different states.

We've had ice since Friday night. Everything is coated with it - fences, woodpile, gates ( and their latches), cattle, etc. So far no power outages but am prepared for it. This morning ( Sunday) there was snow falling instead of more freezing rain. The gravel drive way is slicker than snot on a doorknob - almost busted my a$$ going to bust ice on the heifers' water trough. Seemed odd not going to church this morning; but figured the Lord would understand this time. :) According to the weather liars, the wind is suppose to pick up later so it could get really ugly in a hurry.

The tempature has actually gone up here in the last three hours. We only got about 2 1/2 " here at the house but the main FM to get out of here is flooded and closed going toward Lockhart less then two miles away. It was still open to Luling when I went in this afternoon But the water was only about two feet from going over one of the lower bridges. They're talking snow here Wedsday morning.Z

It got 75 here today...probably 60 or so right now at 9:00pm...first time since I can remember that i've ever had a problem with flies in the middle of Jan.

We got lucky here this go 'round. Little snow or ice, just very cold. Hasn't been above freezing since Wednesday and always just a little breeze blowing. We kind of dodged the bullet two weeks ago also although we were out of power for five days. We were only 100 some miles away from the 30"-40" of snow.

3 to 4 inches of sleet 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice mixed in 24 degrees and wheather man talking about 2 degrees tonight and tommorow night, 0 tuesday night. Not warming any untill maybe wednesday. Sure hope he's wrong.