Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trap

• Cattle Pens

• Total voters

kaneranch

Reaction score
Just want to see how many of you use a specific pen to brake, ride, train, and/or warm up your horses in. Thanks kaneranch

we use a roundpen for training and breaking but we use an outdoor corral for working with barrel/pole patterns and roping and everything else

Have an outdoor arena that I use in the summers, and access to an indoor 1/4 a mile from me that I use for winter riding. Use both of these for dressage training.

The only thing I have is a cattle pen and not for riding horses in. I plan to setup a round pen for training my youngins. I have never been one for lounging before riding a horse. I say if ya can't go out, saddle it, mount it, and ride it, it has not been trained properly. JMO. I hear folks saying they lounge them to get some of steam out of them. Heck the steam is the best part.

flaboy+":2vnqlwsn said:
I hear folks saying they lounge them to get some of steam out of them. Heck the steam is the best part.

You must be a young 'un yourself.....I used to think that way too until something happened. Don't know how the heck it did, but there it is.....I got old.....and the ground somehow got harder that it was when I was in my teens, 20's and 30's....... ;-)

TR":7ye12pso said:
flaboy+":7ye12pso said:
I hear folks saying they lounge them to get some of steam out of them. Heck the steam is the best part.

You must be a young 'un yourself.....I used to think that way too until something happened. Don't know how the heck it did, but there it is.....I got old.....and the ground somehow got harder that it was when I was in my teens, 20's and 30's....... ;-)

Nope ain't no youngin, just a good rider. I had horses in the past that wanted to cut the fool, act up, and some even buck at first ride of the day. Didn't take long to train that out of them. Horse ain't no good in my book if ya gotta work him from the ground before you get on him. I suspect I'm a little older than you think also.

If ya got cows out on the road, what ya going to do? Get a rope, catch the horse, put it in a pen, run him round for a while until you get the nerve to get on his/her back to go get your cows. Come on, coyboy up. Saddle m and ride em. They will respect you then.

I fully understand that I don't land nearly as softly as I used to but, if I gotta do all that stuff before I get on them, I just wouldn't bother getting on them.

flaboy+":34m63jkp said:
TR":34m63jkp said:
flaboy+":34m63jkp said:

Nope ain't no youngin, just a good rider. I had horses in the past that wanted to cut the fool, act up, and some even buck at first ride of the day. Didn't take long to train that out of them. Horse ain't no good in my book if ya gotta work him from the ground before you get on him. I suspect I'm a little older than you think also.

If ya got cows out on the road, what ya going to do? Get a rope, catch the horse, put it in a pen, run him round for a while until you get the nerve to get on his/her back to go get your cows. Come on, coyboy up. Saddle m and ride em. They will respect you then.

I fully understand that I don't land nearly as softly as I used to but, if I gotta do all that stuff before I get on them, I just wouldn't bother getting on them.

I too, am too old to hit the ground hard these days. Flaboy I agree that you need a horse that you can jump on cold, but I don't want to jump on a nut without taking the steam out of him a little. My wife has a horse neither of us will get on because he is an ass. Key words "my wife has a horse", if he was mine he would be gone. I have a 4 yr old that will crow hop and shake his head a little when I get on cold, but a couple of heels to his sides and he gets the idea. But when I can I like taking the steam out of the a bit.
Alan

I use lunge work consistently when starting under saddle. After that it's just now and then for a "refresher" course. I did it with my Appy mare not too long ago, who got it in her head she was incapable of cantering in a circle.

Alan":1mcf4f00 said:
I too, am too old to hit the ground hard these days. Flaboy I agree that you need a horse that you can jump on cold, but I don't want to jump on a nut without taking the steam out of him a little. My wife has a horse neither of us will get on because he is an ass. Key words "my wife has a horse", if he was mine he would be gone. I have a 4 yr old that will crow hop and shake his head a little when I get on cold, but a couple of heels to his sides and he gets the idea. But when I can I like taking the steam out of the a bit.
Alan

Don't get me wrong Alan, if it works for you or anyone else that is great. In my situation and always in the past we have never had one one you couldn't jump on cold. Now there was that X-calvary horse my dad had that went through a bucking routine for the first 30 seconds or so but then we thought it was cute back then. Now, at least in my case, the horse has to ready to go when I need him or he gets worked on (more training of some sort). As you know I too have one of those I think will be an A$$ but I plan to work on that over time.

I have no problem with lounging either for training or exercise but I need a horse that I don't have to do that to ride him out cold. It's really more of a matter of works for you and having to work the kinks out first doesn't work for me. I don't expect them to be on their best behavior when I first get on but I don't want them to act like it sounds you boy does for sure.

My last stud, I could walk out in the field with a rope, put it around his neck, throw a loop around his nose and go round up cows bareback. All this after he had been in the field for a month or more with nobody on his back. I think much of this came from me getting on him EVERY chance I got even if it was only to ride across the pasture when he was young.

I think all horses need to be taught to lunge, but I'm with flayboy on this one. If you have to lunge a horse before you ride, your not just taking the edge off, but you are actually adding to its endurance, causing you to lunge it longer each time.

By the time you get to the saddle stage you should have control of the horse (mental control), if not then you need to back up in your training. Although some horses just have to have the buck rode out of them. The last three I have broke never even offered to buck because I put alot of time in on ground work and manners.

Now to answer your question I work my horses in a small trap thats just open pasture. Would love to have a good round pen to work in the begining but once you can ride the teaching takes place in the pasture.

Yeah, I guess my real answer should be open pasture on the end of a rope. I don't have a round pen yet as I had to use half my panels to keep the cows out of the hay barn. The two I am working with are just 13 months old so I am trying to teach them some respect and manners before I get on them.

I really didn't intend to come across as boisterous, just trying to explain that a cow horse has to be ready to go on a moments notice. If I came across as saying you are doing it wrong, don't take it that way. My point was it won't work for me.

I think we are all agreeing that you need a horse that you can jump on cold. My 4 yr old is still pretty green but getting better each ride. I'm having alot of fun riding him about every other night. Somtimes I'll work him first other times I get on cold. He doesn't or hasn't thrown me anything that I can't handle very easily. It's kinda fun because it's more of is that all you got type of a deal, miles away from putting daylight between my hind end and the saddle. He'll be a great horse I'm sure.

Flaboy, how your guy's attitude since you had him cut? better?

Alan

Alan":agzg1g6d said:
Flaboy, how your guy's attitude since you had him cut? better?

Alan

Yeah he is a little better. Still very skittish. I was spraying some fly (cedar oil) on the ground in the stall area last night. He was out eating hay and watched me. I walked up petted him, turned my back, reached around behind me and sprayed him and he about had a heart attack. He really doesn't like it. I had walked off a little before he had a chance to react though. I did it again after a few minutes and he left the area. :lol:

Later I went to feed him and he ran around me with his ears back. I just stood there. He finally came up to me facing me. I think he smelled the feed in the bucket. He stood back about 5 feet and put his nose out but wouldn't let me touch him. I took a step back and said "come on". He took a step, I took a step back and repeated. He did the same until he was in my face and let me pet him on the head with his ears forward. He sees buggers everywhere but then again my last stud was this way after he first got cut for several months until I worked it out of him. Yeah, he still has the idiot label for now. He knows for sure he can't bluff me though. ;-)

if i need a horse to get a job done quick i pull out my old rope horse he knows the system i got a younger rope horse as a back up but my colt gets worked in the round pen a few minutes then i take him out to the pasture and check cattle on him. i dont want to add any more broken bones to my collection ;-)

We built a small round pen with pine rails a few years ago, and I love it for groundwork and starting colts.

Sure works like a charm when you've got a saddle horse that decides he doesn't need to be caught, as one session round penning definately is a great attitude adjuster.

No arena, but Honey levelled off an area below the house with the Cat last fall, so looking forward to to having a arena this spring once the rocks are picked, posts driven and top rails hung.

It'll be a treat to have a safe area to ride the colts in, as having a colt pitch a bucking fit towards barb wire fences is not much fun for this old gal.

Take care.

sand school i would love to have a indoor sandschool but its not my land would be nice to be able to ride in any weather.

Latest posts