I thinkl I got another one

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
Scammer that is. As you'll see below, this one only wants the hay shipped to Arizona, not New York like the last guy. The last scammer endined up sending me a check for $3500. I've decide to just collect these checks and eventually burn them or turn them into whatever authority will take them. In the mean time I plan to see just how much of these guys time I can waste; and, get them to spend in mailing fees. It should also be fun to see just how much I can get them to send me a check for.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I might be able jerk these guys around more just let me know.

Great!!
Please let me know the height and width of the flatbed so I can arrange the proper loading equipment. I'm afraid prices have gone up a little with drought continuing; and, I'm out of everything except the barn kept hay which is now $75/roll. So the cost for 25 bales at $75/bale is $1,875.00.

I hear their getting rain in west Texas though which your shipper will have to drive through so you might want to buy one of my hay covers also. The covers are $2000. My labor for loading, covering and tieing down plus all the running around I will have to do will bring the total to $5000.

Please advise me on your decision.

Regards
Doug

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 3:27 pm
Subject: Re: Hay Order

Hello Doug,
Thanks for the response ,am located at scottsdale, AZ and it is a pity that I wont be able to call you cos I have hearing problem.I am glad i will be able to get them from you, I will want to know the cost for 25 round bales bermuda hay and i will also want you to provide me with the information i need for my shipper to come pick up the hay:
name
address
phone #
I will make arrangement for payments as soon as i know what it cost.
thanks and i await your response.
Travis

So what part of the email makes you think this guy is a scammer? $2000 for a hay tarp sounds a bit hard to believe to me. Considering most flatbed carriers have their own tarps. If I was paying $75 a bale I would expect that to be FOB your farm. Not cost me an additional $1125.00. I've never in my life as a common motor carrier hauling flatbed freight expected anyone to secure my load that has been and always will be the responsiblity of every driver that has ever driven for me. I'm wondering when my driver or myself would get stopped for a unsecured load at a port of entry will you pay the fine for me as you secured it. I highly doubt it. What is wrong with asking for a money order from a post office for payment? So far from what your showing me I see only one con man. His name isn't Travis.

somn":2vzkfg53 said:
So what part of the email makes you think this guy is a scammer?

I dont necessarily agree or disagree... but I would guess the combination of the guy being hard of hearing, and then wanting the address and telephone number before ever knowing a price is what might have got his attention. I can't say that I would ask for any personal information before the deal is done, but thats just me.

Ryan

Ryan":mrrryh2w said:
somn":mrrryh2w said:

I dont necessarily agree or disagree... but I would guess the combination of the guy being hard of hearing, and then wanting the address and telephone number before ever knowing a price is what might have got his attention. I can't say that I would ask for any personal information before the deal is done, but thats just me.

Ryan
Well I guess I would like to know how far my shipper will need to travel in order to haul my hay back to me. Makes the hay price change Don't you think? Call me crazy but a person needs to know if the hay is coming from Texas or North Carolina wouldn't you think. I guess as far as personal information goes I would want to know all the personal info before the deal is done not afterwards not much good finding out your screwed after your screwed. You and I obviously do business differently.

Ryan":2u2xd521 said:
somn":2u2xd521 said:

Ryan
Maybe just maybe this Travis doesn't know what height and width the trailer will be so he wants the phone number so he can give it to the shipper so the shipper can call and answer the trailer question.

dcara":3n2y1yh9 said:
Scammer that is. As you'll see below, this one only wants the hay shipped to Arizona, not New York like the last guy. The last scammer endined up sending me a check for $3500. I've decide to just collect these checks and eventually burn them or turn them into whatever authority will take them. In the mean time I plan to see just how much of these guys time I can waste; and, get them to spend in mailing fees. It should also be fun to see just how much I can get them to send me a check for.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I might be able jerk these guys around more just let me know.

Great!!
Please let me know the height and width of the flatbed so I can arrange the proper loading equipment. I'm afraid prices have gone up a little with drought continuing; and, I'm out of everything except the barn kept hay which is now $75/roll. So the cost for 25 bales at $75/bale is $1,875.00.

I hear their getting rain in west Texas though which your shipper will have to drive through so you might want to buy one of my hay covers also. The covers are $2000. My labor for loading, covering and tieing down plus all the running around I will have to do will bring the total to $5000.

Please advise me on your decision.

Regards
Doug

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 3:27 pm
Subject: Re: Hay Order

Hello Doug,
Thanks for the response ,am located at scottsdale, AZ and it is a pity that I wont be able to call you cos I have hearing problem.I am glad i will be able to get them from you, I will want to know the cost for 25 round bales bermuda hay and i will also want you to provide me with the information i need for my shipper to come pick up the hay:
name
address
phone #
I will make arrangement for payments as soon as i know what it cost.
thanks and i await your response.
Travis

Maybe I'm naive, but I see nothing in this e-mail that would indicate he is anything other than sincere. :?: If you thought he was a scammer, why on earth did you respond?

I’m glad to see some people have read this and have questions about it so they are aware of this type of scam. BTW, I beleive this is likely another shipping scammer (like the previous one I posted) where in the end they send you a phony check which includes an amount for shipping which they want you to pay their “shipper”. Of course once you send their “shipper” one of your good checks you never hear from them again. Then when their check comes back as a phony you are out whatever you sent their “shipper”.

Surprisingly, a chack can clear your bank initially but still come back as a phony months later. Equally suprising is that none of the athorities are interested. On the one I posted previously I talked to the local Sheriffs dept, the State Attorney General's office, and even offered the check to the FBI. The Sheriff and AG could not have cared less. The FBI directed me to their web site to file a complaint, which I did. Both the AG and FBI told me to burn the check.

This is the third response I’ve gotten like this on may hay posting on the Hay Barn and Hay Exchange web sites. One of the others I posted previously. This one has all the same ear marks. My response contains BS questions and statements to see how he’ll respond. He will either take the bait and do whatever he thinks it will take to get me to go along (and its going to take a lot), or he’ll come back to me with serious questions or not reply.

WOW! I thought the person selling the hay was the scammer or am I lost here? Who is suppose to be the scammer, the hauler or the saler?

dcara is scamming the scammer - a dangerous and futile act, but if it turns your crank :lol:

dcara - you got a link to the other thread so others can catch up on your intrigue?
:lol:

ALX

somn,
let me clear things up a little. I agree with you. i was just stating what I thought a person might see wrong with the 1st email. I was in now way agreeing or disagreeing with the initial poster's feeling or ideas.

As for me and personal information, if I felt that the deal could done sufficiently via email, I would do that until I needed the more personal information. but each situation is different, and calls for a different protocal.

but, if like dcara, i had been scammed before, i would definantly be on the lookout in the future.

Ryan

GOT EM!!
He has taken the bait as you can see in his reply posted below. Now I can have a litle more fun jerking this jerk around. I'm glad to see some of you are actually learning something here. Maybe it will save your a$$ in the future.

But first a few quick reply's

So far from what your showing me I see only one con man. His name isn't Travis.
somn - I'm not going to spoon feed this to you. You apparently don't know enough about this to figure out whats going on. You can either shut up, pay attention, and try to learn something; or, continue to express your ignorance

If you thought he was a scammer, why on earth did you respond?
Pappy1 and msscamp - Go back and read the first post slowly and carefully and see if you can figure it out the answer

Who is suppose to be the scammer, the hauler or the saler?
The buyer is the scammer. I can't actually scam him. But I can sure waste his time and effort. And while he's screwing with me that one less person he has time to try and scam. If enough people did this the scammers might have to rethink their cost to benefit ratio.

dcara is scamming the scammer - a dangerous and futile act, but if it turns your crank
Can't imagine what you think is dangerous or futile here, but cower in the corner if you want. Its always easier to do nothing and let the scammers run free an unopposed. Do a search on my previous posts about a few weeks ago if you want to see the previous scam posts

Now back to the show, scammers reply is below.
Hello Doug,
Thank you for your response concerning my order for the Hay. In order to conclude our arrangement concerning the Hay I want to purchase, I will mail out the payment to you by the end of this coming week. The payment will be a Moner Orders, More so the shipping fee will be added to the payment in which you have to deduct the money for the Hay which is $1,875.00 for 25bales and the rest will be sent to my shipper who will come for the pick-up with a Truck in your location. You can contact him via e-mail ([email protected]) so as to make a pick-up arrangement with him concerning the time he can come for the pick-up of the hay after you have received payment and cleared it. I believe the shipper will have all those equipment you have asked me to buy be'cos this is not the first time they are shipping hay for me during the rain period,however am willing to pay $550 for your running around which will bring in a total of $2425.00. I'll look forward to hearing from you to assure me you can handle this with all perfection.
Please do contact my shipper to make arrangements.
Regards and God Bless

Please, Kindly provide me with your address which the payment will be mailed to:

Thank you,
Travis

I see what you are saying. Lady down the road did this with some dogs she sold on the net. She was sent too much money and the lady said no problem just mail me the difference. Money order was bad but her check wasn't.

Why don't you just go ahead and tell them where to send the money order but never mail a check to the shipper. When he mails you back, just say "I mailed it" Then later on say I will stop payment and send another etc etc.

I've heard that some of these scammers get really mad when they figure out that they've been scammed -
make sure that if you give him an address it isn't your home or workplace.

I wouldn't even give them a post office box in my county :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why don't you just go ahead and tell them where to send the money order but never mail a check to the shipper. When he mails you back, just say "I mailed it" Then later on say I will stop payment and send another etc etc.

After they send you the check the game is mostly over. Certainly the number one rule is NEVER SEND THEM OR THEIR SHIPPER A CHECK. The disconnect technique is a matter of personal preferance. Once I receive the check I just stop replying to their emails or block them. They seem to devote a good bit of effort to asking when I will ship.

I've heard that some of these scammers get really mad when they figure out that they've been scammed

As I said previously, I can't actually scam them. All I can do is waste their time. Think about what you said in what I quoted above. Your basically saying that they are going to get real mad that their scam didn't work on me. Remember, they are the ones that make the initial contact. Just because I posted hay for sale doesn't mean I have to let them scam me for fear they might get mad.

I'm not saying that you should let them take anything from you
just be overly careful of the info that you do give out

dcara":1l1tiwxl said:
So far from what your showing me I see only one con man. His name isn't Travis.
somn - I'm not going to spoon feed this to you. You apparently don't know enough about this to figure out whats going on. You can either shut up, pay attention, and try to learn something; or, continue to express your ignorance
Yep Doug you are so smart. Society owes you so much for bringing these scammers to our attention. I will restate my original statement from what you had showed me I saw only one con man and his name wasn't Travis. Amazing how I'm ignorant because I stated the obvious in your post you showed you were the con man not Travis. I must have hit a sore spot when calling you the con man do you here that often or something?

Somn,

Money order?

Is this not legal tender? It is where I come from. It can be spent anywhere.

As for spelling errors - well, Doug has made several himself.

I might be leary of a cheque unless certified, but I have never seen a money order that was false. Mind you in this country you can only get them from a bank or a post office. If it came from anywhere else I would not accept it. The money has already been paid out if it is a money order - so no clearing tim eis required.

Interesting situation - I am intrigued as to the outcome because I did something similar to this one time last year with no problems what so ever.

I am probably just lucky, or I am an innocent and lucky!

Perhaps I am simply too trusting - even though I like to think of cash as king. And yes we have had our problems in the past.

Regards

Bez>