I need help with worms

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
We have a purchased 1 week old holstein calf. Had him 3 days. Came with greenish yellow scours. I am bottle feeding him 2x day with cows milk. This morning I gave him his milk and 3 hours later I go to give him a bottle of electrolyte I had just mixed. He started to have diarrhea, so I looked at his butt and hundreds of live wriggling worms came out that looked to be the size of rice. yuck! Anyhow, on hand I have for my horses paste ivermectim 1.87%. Can I give this to him according to him body weight? If not please give me suggestions. Thanks!

I also have on hand a paste wormer for horses Panacur 10% fenbendazole. Could I possibly use this?

I raise several baby calves, but thats something I've never had to deal with and I'm thankful for that. I'd get that vet there and see what he says. I've heard of flies getting to a heifer calf but not a bull. It does sound like maggots. Good luck and let us know how it goes and what the vet says.

Cowgirl if it's a calf and Not a horse I would go to the feed store and get a wormer for Cattle and follow the label directions, per body weight.
bif

Go to the feed store and get a spray can of Screw Worm Spray, any brand, and kill the maggots. These are not the internal parasites that you use a wormer on. Flies are attracted to the manure on the calf's rear end, they lay eggs and the maggots are the result. Treat the calf to cure the scours and hopefully you shouldn't have a relapse.

Here is the update on the calf:
I washed his hind end twice a day for 2 days with warm water and dish soap. I then applied a topical fly spray with pyrethin (sp?) and made sure it got well into the hair around his butt and tail. I stopped seeing any maggots after about a day and a half. I also wormed him with a paste wormer with fenbendazole according to weight. As of last night, no visual sightings of creppy crawlys on his hind end . He still has a very loose stool, but his butt is staying much cleaner. He is eating well and is perky. He is drinking water from a bucket when he is thirsy, and is getting cow milk 2x per day. He is starting to nibble hay and is taking a little grain from my hand. I have stopped the electrolytes.
I never would have guessed the problem could be maggots! Thanks for all of your help!

Cowgirl I know this forum is old but bovines are ruminants and acquire worms that are far different from the types of worms that Horses can get. So ultimately I believe the horse wormer would have no "repercussion" (if you will) as far as eliminating the worms. I would do as others have advised and make a trip to the local coop or what have you and purchase bovine wormer.

good word, repercussion...

its sounds like she got it under control. everybody just calm down.

Before I used the fenbendazole wormer I reasearched it. The same wormer with the same strength is packaged for both horses and cattle, so I felt okay using it. The biggest thing was the fenbenzadole had directions (obtained on the internet and in supply catalogs) that included indications and directions for a calf. Plus, being new to cattle I wanted a paste wormer because I was sure I could get it into the little fella. I wormed him by weight, no more. Ideally I would have liked to run to the feed store and buy a wormer I could have used, but all they had in stock was a powdered wormer to be mixed in feed and it did not say I could give it to a calf.
I do believe he had a case of maggots- something I would not have known about without the wonderful input I got here. I am happy to report he is drinking his milk from a bucket, is drinking a lot of water and is eating some grain and picking at hay. He is quite active and appears to be doing great
Thanks again for all of your help- it was invaluable!

That's got to be the nastiest thing I've ever heard.... Yikes at the hundreds of rice sized worms coming out.

Latest posts