I need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer":26wrfmjs said:
Seems to me that everyone really wants to put a lot of work in to keeping a Herf bull. Too many good bulls out there to work so hard to keep this one. He'd have to be something awful special to spend so much effort on him.
Haul him !

I am in your camp haul him to the salebarn get a 1000 bucks for hamburger and put a few more frogskins with it and get one that is not a problem.

Caustic Burno":24weo5ei said:
Bullbuyer":24weo5ei said:
Seems to me that everyone really wants to put a lot of work in to keeping a Herf bull. Too many good bulls out there to work so hard to keep this one. He'd have to be something awful special to spend so much effort on him.
Haul him !

I am in your camp haul him to the salebarn get a 1000 bucks for hamburger and put a few more frogskins with it and get one that is not a problem.

I second this one.

That's a good one Alabama, plug a wire into the barn w/o stinking charger. Best laugh I've had all week. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) Hey, you AU or UA?

koosy":1trbhi34 said:
A friend of mine raises hereford cattle. The problem he is having is his bull keeps charging through the fence when his neighbors cows are in heat. He has tried several different things to correct this. But it keeps happening. Does anyone have any advice? something that is inexpensive?

This bull is not getting enough love and affection at home.

Put him in a small panel pen, brush and pet him 3-4 times a day, and feed him the highest priced show feed he can find.

I can't believe someone would let a bull's mental state deteriorate to this point. :shock:

Back me up here Caustic!

Yea.. well you could try getting him a mate of his own maybe? Might help him resist, if the poor fellas all lonely and there are some damn fine females just crying for his attention who can blame him! its his job and when your passionate about your job you love it, and when you love something, you will do just about anything for it.. they become addicted, and a good thing too, or theyd be no good.. lol.. strange analogy of it i guess but still.. my first thought was electricity, but surely that was one of the original seven? If the fellow doesnt want any heifers to be mated, maybe find a steer or an infertile beast for him to pretend with lol.. or a freemartin heifer, chances are she wont be fertile and if she is well thats just your luck! You will eb glad to know shes still all good, but i reckon they should all have a companion animal.. my steer has been raised as a bottle calf since 2weeks old.. he is now 9months old.. was 1st introduced to another cow since birth at about 3months old.. and was first penned with one.. about a month ago.. penned with 7 of them actually and he dont like them they dont like him, he is human and they are stupid cows he will tell you that too.. so now he is stuffed.. he dont want a companion, so im right with that, but he will always need attention from his mummy/mommy (sorry aussie teen here) but thats ok with me.. he puts on weight awesomely with out having them his freinds anyways, thats not wht i want but you beefers do so yeah anyways.. i just say get him something on his side of the fence! But then he just may live by the saying : 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' and in this case your stuffed lol.
Good luck!
Lauren

A medicine call 30.06 will cure that problem . .Had that problem before and its a big problem lots of fence repairs..

koosy":2p6pwwbr said:
A friend of mine raises hereford cattle. The problem he is having is his bull keeps charging through the fence when his neighbors cows are in heat. He has tried several different things to correct this. But it keeps happening. Does anyone have any advice? something that is inexpensive?

Shipping him, and buying a new one,

My Hereford bull went to visit the neighbor girls early this year.

2 HOT strands of electric cured him otherwise he would have been gone.

Had the same problem with a black Brangus bull.
Bought two solar charged electric panels, put up on exsisting post with plastic insulaters one @ knee level one @ nose level he backed off foe a whole week then he started jumping the fence at his leasure,Offered to sell bull to my nieghbor since the bull seemed to like his cows so well, He just said why buy somthing I'm getting for free. After fixing many fences & pushing him back many times with my tractor, he finally broke his shaft jumping the fence right next to the open gate.
Long story short Cube Steak :roll:
Rocknw

Have got to agree with the hot wires...we use the barbed wire as part of the ground system...gets them even when the ground dries out, just have to touch the hot wire and the barbed. Sort of overkill using a high joule out put charger but it backs up the big boys and keeps them where we want them using just two hot wires after they are iniatiated.
DMc

I suggest Gallagher Fencers!!!!! We took a gate cut of cattle at the sale barn with a friend. Both halves were really spooky and not used to having fences. His half you can barely contain or be around. Our half the same as the rest of our herd. Those Gallagher fencers really zap them. When we move them to different sections of our pastures we have to remove the hotwire completely instead of just dropping it. They won't even step over it. Gallagher's may be expensive but they have saved us alot of headaches in the long run.

Millerfamfarms":1gnuxw4h said:
When we move them to different sections of our pastures we have to remove the hotwire completely instead of just dropping it. They won't even step over it.

If a fence has been in one place for a long time and the cows are really used to it being there, we can't even drive them over where it was even though it's completly removed. We had changed a bunch of the paddock layouts and when I tried to move the cows they all walked the length of where the fence had been and went out through where the old gate had been. Hilarious to watch but frustrating

dun

It's especially a good deal if you leave gates open as often as I do!

My question is how many cows are with the bull on his side. It usually takes 20-25 cows to keep a high string bull in the pasture. If this is not your case I do not belive he is gonna stay in even with an electric fence. Boys are boys no matter what breed. Good luck!!!!!

koosy":4npju6c7 said:
thank you for all the advice...His bull is actually really good...

His bull sounds really bad to me. Or else he is really bad and not maintaining fences. I am with those who say ship him. A problem bull is a problem. Get a bull who isn't a problem.

About everyone here has had a "really good cow" or "awesome bull" that took up all of their time at one point or another. We had to ship them, even if it was a heartbreak. Got rid of that problem and went on to better things. Kept looking forward.

Bulls/Cows will jump 5 foot tall fences. They are BAD animals no matter what they look like. When that "good" bull is hung up in the fence cut to shreds he won't fetch many nickels at the sale barn. Take him NOW.

hooking up two chargers will produce a constant pulse current that will kill an animal deader'n be nice if it gets hung in it....they use a capacitor with about 2000+ volts at a pulse that is 30-40 seconds apart....that voltage constant will kill even with low amperage....be careful :shock:

dun":2ps1mkmd said:
Millerfamfarms":2ps1mkmd said:
When we move them to different sections of our pastures we have to remove the hotwire completely instead of just dropping it. They won't even step over it.

If a fence has been in one place for a long time and the cows are really used to it being there, we can't even drive them over where it was even though it's completly removed. We had changed a bunch of the paddock layouts and when I tried to move the cows they all walked the length of where the fence had been and went out through where the old gate had been. Hilarious to watch but frustrating

dun

Yes, it is frustrating. To move the girls from the pivot required a pick-up with feed, two horses, and lots of patience. Eventually one of them would get brave enough to try the open gate for the feed and the rest would then follow with a little encouragement. It was hysterical watching them try to 'jump' an imaginary gate, though. :lol: :lol:

ROCK-N-W":1ilym3e1 said:
Had the same problem with a black Brangus bull. Bought two solar charged electric panels, put up on exsisting post with plastic insulaters one @ knee level one @ nose level he backed off foe a whole week then he started jumping the fence at his leasure. After fixing many fences & pushing him back many times with my tractor, he finally broke his shaft jumping the fence right next to the open gate.
Rocknw

A sad ending for just trying to help out a needy neighbor...

Latest posts