I know this is a long shot

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
Is there anywhere online, where i can look for potential acerage to lease in my part of the country? I am looking for 30-80 acres to lease, and I am not having any luck. Any ideas?

The best way to find lease land is to drive around and find vacant property, go to the courthouse and find out who ownes it and then contact them and ask if you can lease it.

I looked for a lease pasture for a long time. Most of the stuff around me had been spoken for for many years. Some leases even handed down.

The only other option, and I wouldnt do this, but I know someone who did, was offer more money when they new a lease was up for renewal. Personally I sort of think thats just a bit underhanded when dealing with neighbors, but from a business standpoint I dont see anything really wrong with it.

I think finding lease property anywhere is getting tough.

I have been able to find a little.
I check with the realtors. There are some people buying property just for the investment, they need cattle on it to get the tax exemption.
I have driven around and found property that was not being taken care of. If the owners were from out of town I would call to see if they would be interested in new tenant. Records can be found in county tax records on internet or county courthouse.
Sometimes I just stop and knock on door and ask.
Ad in the local newspaper, feed store bulitin, am radio country store?

Several states now have GIS maps with tax data in them. Go to your county's website and see if they offer that information online. If so, you should be able to zoom in on properties and find out the size and who owns it. From there, you just start making contacts. It may help to ask your CPA if there are any tax benefits that you could use to persuade landowners into leasing you their land.

Latest posts