I don;t know who to believe

Help Support CattleToday:

We have a flock of Canukleheads that winter over between the river and the fields to the north. Some of the folks in Spokane have taken to putting out feed all winter so they never make it farther south. Even with record snow this year we have them flying around.
On the bright side we are getting a slow melt off should have alll the snow gone by April.
Dmc

I gotta believe the geese. Our little pond is full of bullfrog tadpoles already. Those things are 3 inches long and the pond was solid ice only 3 weeks ago! They must have somehow overwintered as tadpoles. Anyhow, they're swimming and it was pert near freezing this morning.

I'll know tonight which is right. Snow, sleet, freezgin rain is called for tonight. 37 at 4 am dropped to 22 now it is warming back up, already up to 24.
CB may have been partially right. With the hot air from campaigning going on in tx the geese may have thought they missed the spring migration

we had a bunch of geese come through about a month ago. now its so cold outside i guess we cant even have school. (yup no school today) this morning the windchill was -30F.

dyates":3hu5pgcr said:
I gotta believe the geese. Our little pond is full of bullfrog tadpoles already. Those things are 3 inches long and the pond was solid ice only 3 weeks ago! They must have somehow overwintered as tadpoles. Anyhow, they're swimming and it was pert near freezing this morning.

Bull frogs stay in tadpole stage for two years.

My dad always said, "believe half of what you hear and none of what you see". ;-)

CUZ":3bwna9lh said:
dun":3bwna9lh said:
I'll know tonight which is right. . . .

So, who was right?

Sadly the geese were WRONG! Lovely freezing rain, downpour of sleet, and maybe some more freezing rain tonight, and tomorrow snow. BUT, in 27 days it will be spring-Yeah right!

Gail

GMN pretty well nailed! At 4 pm yesterday I saw some geese heading north, just after dark I heard the geese heading south again.

backhoeboogie":290ik4aq said:
Lots of pneumonia battles going on with cows now. I've been lucky but know someone who lost a healthy 800 lb steer. It was in the mid 80's a few weeks back and set a new record for that day. Then we were in the high teens. Then cold wet rain. Now mild days. The swings are what make cattle sick. No more 80 degree weather until the applicable time and we'll be okay.

93 degrees yesterday with 40 MPH gusts. It is supposed to be below freezing tomorrow a.m. That is over a 60 degree swing. Not good!!!!!!

backhoeboogie":1z3fihf1 said:
backhoeboogie":1z3fihf1 said:
Lots of pneumonia battles going on with cows now. I've been lucky but know someone who lost a healthy 800 lb steer. It was in the mid 80's a few weeks back and set a new record for that day. Then we were in the high teens. Then cold wet rain. Now mild days. The swings are what make cattle sick. No more 80 degree weather until the applicable time and we'll be okay.

93 degrees yesterday with 40 MPH gusts. It is supposed to be below freezing tomorrow a.m. That is over a 60 degree swing. Not good!!!!!!

WOW! 93 degrres that is unbelievable, that surely isn't the normal temp for Texas this time of year is it? I think this year especially has been crazy for weather, I wonder how many hurricanes there will be this year?

Gail

Gail I never checked our temp. in the middle of the day but on the way home about 6:30 last night the gauge in my truck said it was still 82 degrees. It was unseasonally hot yesterday in Texas. A front came thru last night and the went blew like a storm. This morning it was about 45 with a very brisk north wind. Suppose to be in the mid 60's rest of week with lows in the 40's and 50's. Spring is almost here. :clap: :clap: :clap:

TexasBred":2zad67jd said:
Gail I never checked our temp. in the middle of the day but on the way home about 6:30 last night the gauge in my truck said it was still 82 degrees. It was unseasonally hot yesterday in Texas. A front came thru last night and the went blew like a storm. This morning it was about 45 with a very brisk north wind. Suppose to be in the mid 60's rest of week with lows in the 40's and 50's. Spring is almost here. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Record here was 86 in 1917 according to the weather liars.

dun":2ujh2urk said:
The weather liars are talking about snow, sleet and ice storms tomorrow, the geese are pasing ovehead to the north in huge flocks. Since dark I've heard a constant stream of geese, 4-5 flocks at a time.

I have always noticed the geese to fly either in front or behind a weather front. So the weather men could be right.

When I got into my truck yesterday after school the thermometer said 90, but after I drove a while it went to 85 and stayed. It was not windy here in the afternoon and evening, but very very warm. And no, that isn't normal at all. Cold front came in last night and brought wind with it. Just slammed the house. It didn't get below freezing here but it did get in the thirties. It is about 52 now for the high. Quite a difference in 24 hours.

The news announced 94 degrees for Stephenville and Granbury. Something like 92 for Walnut Springs. It was 80 something when I got home but the thermometer recorded a high of 93. That is indeed unusally high Gail.

The temperature swings are what causes problems. Especially respiratory issues with animals.

Backhoe...tell me abou it. I've had congestion, then drainage, lung infection, coughing all since mid December. Dr. gave antibiotics which helped but did not cure. Looks like I'm gonna have to take maters into my own hands and go back to old time home remedies....a quick trip to the liquor store. :lol2:

Latest posts