i can see why the post office is broke

Help Support CattleToday:

I will take post office any day now that they have the flat rate boxes. I had some stuff sent 2nd day air with ups it cost me 80 bucks and they delivered to the wrong house. buy the time it was straitened out it took 2 weeks to recieve what I ordered. The first order that was delivered to the wrong house took 9 days to get in state. I found a place that will ship flat rate in florida. Costs me 7.85 to ship and has been on the door step here in colorado on the 3rd day with 2 orders placed so far.

There are how many thousands of post offices and mail facilities, so you will get the good, bad and the ugly, just depends where you are. We have had mostly good experience with USPS, we send a LOT of mail pieces where I work and it is rare that something sent first class or priority doesn't make it and timely, too.

I notice the decline in Christmas cards, too, and miss them. It is like having another decoration, setting those cards on display. And the environmentalists who say it wastes trees can just bite me, because I save them and cut the fronts off for gift tags the next year. But I didn't send any this year, myself, so shame on me.

I love our postal service ,usually. I hate when things have to be fedex'd ups'd , purolator etc. They refuse to deliver to the country anymore which is total BS and then I have to make a trip into the city to get my parcel. If I get a package the gals know at the post office if it will fit in my mailbox or is too big ,so if it will fit they deliver it.

I always do something nice for the post office gals at Christmas, be it baking or chocolates .I appreciate the fact that even though the post master has only been their for a year she went out of her way to get to know us regular customers . We also got a new delivery lady and she is a real sweet heart , she often travels these icy ,snowy roads to deliver the mail even when the school busses have been grounded .

As far as Christmas cards , I did not send any out this year but not because I am lazy. Last year with the personal ones I ordered and the postage for mailing them I spent over $100.00 on cards , ridiculous. This year I took that money and got a gift card for a family whose dad is suffering from a fatal illness that has effected his brain ,can no longer hold a job and has been removed from the home after leaving the family broke, destitute and losing their home. I feel that the money I would spend on cards will benefit them much more by having groceries to feed the 3 children . I have been calling people this year instead, to wish them Merry Christmas .So a few of you on here should be getting a call from me shortly . :tiphat:

Fed Ex an UPS both have the keypad code to our front gate. Both prefer to pitch pkgs. over the fence or lay them on top of the fence controller. Our mail lady opens the gate and brings them to the house.

GMN":2mottg4l said:
I think its because no one sends out Christmas cards anymore-its a tradition that is fading fast-I send them out every year, but every year i get less and less- are people just getting lazy?

same thing is happening to us, GMN. i guess folks just consider it incovenient to send out cards......

retired from the usps. tax payers do not pay our saleries. we are self- sufficent from the stamps and services we sell.believe me the retirement is not what the media lets you believe.a big percent of my retirement goes to pay my health insurance. most of my retirement comes from my tsp (like a 401k) that i paid into.the work is hard. i walked about 14 miles a day carrying a mailbag that could weigh up to 30# in all kinds of weather try this for 5-6 days a week for 30 years. my back and legs feet, and knees are killing me

wv mud river":3kiau10c said:
. i walked about 14 miles a day carrying a mailbag that could weigh up to 30# in all kinds of weather try this for 5-6 days a week for 30 years. my back and legs feet, and knees are killing me
I do feel for you there. I figured my route out at eleven miles a day. There's no weight but it's seven says a week... Anybody can do that a few times, doing it day after day after day, year after year after year, is superhuman.

I think it all just depends on who's working that day. I've had deliveries of live chicks that got crushed and dumped off at my mailbox three days late and I've had hatching eggs hand delivered at the front door without a single break because the driver was scared to leave them outside. The problem that I see is the same as it is in any big business, it's to hard to get rid of the people that don't care.

hooknline":3apyz6xp said:
They're going broke because they can't seem to get a package to its destination on time or in one piece. Whatever you do don't write "fragile" on a package you send through them.

You got that right, I sent my friend in WI a tea cup and saucer for her B-day, I had it packaged well, and wrote fragile on the box, and it arrived broken. Made me mad, but I guess I could have purchased insurance, but it wasn't worth much to do that, and has anyone ever collected insurance money on an item. i did once and it took 3 months!

TexasBred":2qjlf3xe said:
GMN":2qjlf3xe said:
I think its because no one sends out Christmas cards anymore-its a tradition that is fading fast-I send them out every year, but every year i get less and less- are people just getting lazy?

Same here...wife addressed cards for two hours one night... I think we've received 2 or maybe 3.

finally someone who got my post-so far i have recieved 6, but sent alot more. I mean its not a big deal, I don't send them to recieve them back, but I just think its a dying tradition. I love the vintage cards from the 50's, they are so beautiful, the art work and paper they are made on is just such good quality than today's cards-I guess I am old fashioned. My friend in WI said this and I think its true, the younger generation just has different ideas on what things to do-but honestly I think someday people will regret not mailing cards out to people, its much more personal than a email greeting.

Cards are a good way to reach out and touch someone that you don't see often.
E mail has become so routine and fast that it doesn't have that "personal" touch with it that a card does.

But then I am an old fashioned Neaderthal and plan to stay that way.

We still send out cards but not as many as when I was young. Not the cost tho--just too hard to keep up with all the addresses nowdays. I still write letters too. When I was a kid, we lived in ahouse that had a big square post in the middle of the living room---that's where all the Christmas cards were tacked up at every year. Some years, they wouldn't all fit--all 4 sides would be filled solid.
I don't like email at all. I might check it once/month--usually every 2-3 months unless someone lets me know they sent something thru a pm or by phone. I suspect cell phones have also took a bunch of businesses away from USPS as well. Everyone has one and compared to the old days, people talk to one another a lot more often now instead of writing a letter, but I can still remember going to the mailbox, bringing mother the mail and she would read us words from far away relatives.
I miss those days.

GMN, you're right about the old Christmas cards. I have one in a box, that my father sent to my mother from some Army base in England in 1946. Really a work of art--not just some flat boring print like ya see nowdays.

When I lived in San Angelo, and needed to mail something to an address in town, here's how it went.
I drop it in my mailbox.
Mailman picked it up and dropped it at his branch at the end of his route.
That night or next morning, it went to the San Angelo Main Post office.
From the Main, it went (like all San Angelo mail) to the sorting facility in Big Springs--about 50 miles IIRC . (all San Angelo mail had a Big Springs postmark--no SA postmark)
The next (3rd) day, the letter rode the truck back to San Angelo Main.
Next day or that night, it went to the branch where that zip code was.
Finally, delivered the following day.
All that, just to get a 1st class letter or payment delivered accross town.
I could have a letter delivered from San Angelo to Baton Rouge La (where my elec bill payment went) faster than mailing one 5 miles across town.
Go figure.

I buy vintage cards on ebay and send them out because they are so beautiful-I just love the glitter ones, the coronation cards, all american made too

GMN":200mpdc5 said:
TexasBred":200mpdc5 said:
GMN":200mpdc5 said:

Same here...wife addressed cards for two hours one night... I think we've received 2 or maybe 3.

finally someone who got my post-so far i have recieved 6, but sent alot more.
Perhaps as we age we are not as pleasant as we were in years gone by and people don't feel like reciprocating good wishes :hide:

No I don't think that's it, I think people have gotten use to sending wishes on facebook and such-and are just too busy to keep traditions going. its a shame, because I really think someday people will prefer the good ole days again, and it will be too late to bring them back.

Well GMN, for what its worth, so far we have recieved 25 Christmas cards (pretty close to average at this time) sent 32.

As for the vintage cards, my dad used to send us one every year. I miss him and I miss those cards.

Katherine

The wife sent more cards this year than in years past. We also received more than usual so go figure. My inlaws are in Fl for the winter and her mother decided to try to save a little money by putting all her Christmas cards for the grandchildren and great grandchildren in one big envelope and mail it to my wife and then have my wife have my wife pass them out today when everyone converges for dinner instead of mailing each one separate. Yesterday made 2 weeks before they finally arrived. They were mailed first class. She sent a small package to her sister in Nashville parcel post the same day and it arrived in 3 days. :lol:

spoon":2gfs6zxh said:
The wife sent more cards this year than in years past. We also received more than usual so go figure. My inlaws are in Fl for the winter and her mother decided to try to save a little money by putting all her Christmas cards for the grandchildren and great grandchildren in one big envelope and mail it to my wife and then have my wife have my wife pass them out today when everyone converges for dinner instead of mailing each one separate. Yesterday made 2 weeks before they finally arrived. They were mailed first class. She sent a small package to her sister in Nashville parcel post the same day and it arrived in 3 days. :lol:

Nice to see you back!!! Merry Christmas

Latest posts