I been double crossed, and I'm happy about it

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Granny double crossed me today. She was a week late and had a heifer. After all those years of noithing but bulls this is 3 heifers in 3 years. I can hardly wait to see what she gives me NEXT year

I guess your going to be keeping her? And did you keep her other 2 hiefers? How old is granny? I remember your post about her, but I just can't remember the numbers. :dunce:

highgrit":8gzbrfav said:
I guess your going to be keeping her? And did you keep her other 2 hiefers? How old is granny? I remember your post about her, but I just can't remember the numbers. :dunce:
Oh yeah, she's definitly staying. Granny is 24 this year. The other part of the double cross that I didn;t mention was that for the first time she didn;t settle to AI on only one service. This one is by the bull

highgrit":68ozipam said:
Well both of you have done a fine job. I guess thats what raising them right will do for you.
Just dumb luck since she was bought 15 years ago at the weekly "junk/cull" salebarn.

wow that is good luck.shes more than earned her keep over the yrs.so when she cant get it done anymore will she be going back to the salebarn?

I'm glad to hear that you got another heifer out of her! I hope she does as good a job with this one as the others.

I'm happy for you!

Katherine

piedmontese":7t0mi6rv said:
wow that is good luck.shes more than earned her keep over the yrs.so when she cant get it done anymore will she be going back to the salebarn?
My wife told her one day when I was within earshot (she made sure of that) that she would die on this farm.

dun":2dnb5fw0 said:
Oh yeah, she's definitly staying. Granny is 24 this year. The other part of the double cross that I didn;t mention was that for the first time she didn;t settle to AI on only one service. This one is by the bull

She may be 24 but she looks about 15 years younger! I want that heifer!!!

Stocker Steve":2b3ihd23 said:
dun":2b3ihd23 said:
highgrit":2b3ihd23 said:
Well both of you have done a fine job. I guess thats what raising them right will do for you.
Just dumb luck since she was bought 15 years ago at the weekly "junk/cull" salebarn.

Any tips for buying at the cull sale?
Be lucky!

Congrats.

For a minute there, I thought you had found the straws of holstein semen I slipped in your tank...

Don't worry, they're labeled Red Angus.

cfpinz":15ia8cqf said:
Congrats.

For a minute there, I thought you had found the straws of holstein semen I slipped in your tank...

We did have on horribly butt ugly calf, but I figured you had made a deposit in the tank

dun":19szsypb said:
cfpinz":19szsypb said:
Congrats.

We did have on horribly butt ugly calf, but I figured you had made a deposit in the tank

Must have been Rick, he'd be a stud if I did!

dun":1ucuig7m said:
cfpinz":1ucuig7m said:
he'd be a stud if I did!
From what I hear, maybe a stud field mouse

A stud nonetheless.

You'll know if it's Ricks. Calf will most likely develop a drinking problem and ball all the time.

[/quote]Be lucky![/quote]

I think if you only buy only one group then luck could work. Otherwise you need a rising kill market for the ones who don't make it.

Be lucky![/quote]

I think if you only buy only one group then luck could work. Otherwise you need a rising kill market for the ones who don't make it.[/quote]
No matter how thoroughly you do your selection there will alwasy be those that fall through the cracks. The others we bought then only lasted about 6-7 years, to have one go as long as she has is basicly a darn good cow that everything lined up in her favor. That's the lucky part on my side.

DFF":1hgeh3gg said:
Dun,
How did the sale go? havnt talked to my neighbor yet I know he had some consigned.

Thx DFF
Don;t know. There was only 1 heifer there that I was interested in so I put in a bid on her but the bidding started above my highest bid.
I wish I would have known about your neighbor, I would have looked him up.

Latest posts