I am new with some questions

Help Support CattleToday:

tamnik

Reaction score
Hello there, I am new to this group. I was looking for help on weanling calf scours on the internet and was lucky enough to find you. I have owned sheep for years but just bought a steer & heifer about 5 to 7 months old. Not exactly sure on the age. The owner is having health problems so hadn't castrated any of his calves. The first thing my husband did was castrate the bull calf. He is doing fine. The heifer is the younger of the two. They had been on pasture before we bought them but there wasn't nearly as much grass as ours and not as green. The heifer had been eating clover around our pond about 5 days after we bought her. The day after she had bad diarrhea. My husband says to leave her alone that she'll adjust to her new pasture. I have a hard time leaving her alone as her rear is so dirty and I want to fix her situation if I should. Will her skin get scalded from this? Should I wash it? She is eating, chewing her cud and drinking quite a bit. So far she seems to be OK. Is this normal for calves that are just weaned and adjusting to a new home?

I wormed them with Safeguard alfalfa pellets when I first brought them home although since they were together I don't know if the steer ate it all. I did see him eating them. I assumed she had eaten also since he was. Should I seclude her from him and worm her again?

They are black calves and the flies don't seem to be bothering them although there are flies on them. Should I put fly repellent on them?

I am going to buy a book on cattle but haven't yet gotten one. What book do you suggest?

My husband sprang the calves on me. I have wanted some for quite a while but they were a surprise since our friend gave us a good deal on them. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks so much,

Take Care,
Tami from Creswell Oregon

Forgot a couple of things on the other response. A fly spray/pour on never hurts. Won;t keep them 100% off, but will help alot. Fly control is a multifacted thing. Sanitation, elimination of wet areas, maybe a feed through larvacide in their minerals, etc.
Keep an eye on her and if she doesn;t appear to be gaining condition you might try worming her again, or use a pour on wormer, that way you know if it's done or not.

tamnik":1dpa60o7 said:
My husband says to leave her alone that she'll adjust to her new pasture.
I have to agree with your husband on this, sounds like she is alright on all other counts.
Watch her to make sure she stays alert, eating and active.

Will her skin get scalded from this? Should I wash it? She is eating, chewing her cud and drinking quite a bit. So far she seems to be OK. Is this normal for calves that are just weaned and adjusting to a new home?
No, probably not.
No, I wouldn't worry about washing it.
Yes. Alfalfa and clover, since they are both high in protien, can cause diarrhea if they get enough of it. Can also cause bloat ~ but I am thinking you would know that by now (bloat). As you say, she is adjusting, just continue to keep an eye on her.

I am going to buy a book on cattle but haven't yet gotten one. What book do you suggest?
Storeys Guide To Raising Beef Cattle
Don't be afraid to ask if you have other questions. Continue to keep an eye on both.
Are you graining them?

Good luck and have fun with them!

Thank you so much for your input. It eases my mind. I just got home from work (I work night shift at a hospital) and both of them are out in the field grazing. They are starting to venture out so that is a good sign. They would hardly leave the barn, pond area. I'll order the book today on Amazon.com.

Tami

Thanks!, its great to have you all to bounce things off of. I'll have a few more questions I am sure. There was a question if I am graining my calves. I am not now. I didn't think it would be needed since the pasture is in good shape and there is a lot of seed still on the grass. Do you think it would be a good idea to give them some and how much would be good? I guess if nothing else I could build a relationship and be able to move them around easily without stressing them by following the grain bucket. I have stock dogs for the sheep but I don't want to stress the calves yet with that.

Thanks,
Tami

tamnik":1cjvcscg said:
Do you think it would be a good idea to give them some and how much would be good? I guess if nothing else I could build a relationship and be able to move them around easily without stressing them by following the grain bucket. I have stock dogs for the sheep but I don't want to stress the calves yet with that.

Thanks,
Tami

You're right that if the pasture is good the calves probably don't need grain. A 5 month old calf should be 400-500lbs which is big enough not to need grain. However, in your place I'd probably give them a few handfuls a day for a few weeks, just to teach them what grain is. If you use the same bucket every time they'll get trained to come running when they see it -- which is a big help if they ever get out and you need to put them back! A few of my neighbors bottle calves came visiting my herd recently, and since I knew how the calves were fed, I just found a bucket, called the calves, and had them penned in 60 seconds. :p

There's no reason to use dogs on calves... I agree the calves could be moved very effectively with the dogs, but there's really no need for it either. I move my cows on foot, at a walk, and have for years. Low stress and keeps them quiet.

I would deffinately feed them a ration of grain once a day. I am raising a bottle calf(now 6months) and i recently bought an 8 month old heifer. She wouldn't let you withing 100 yards and now after getting grain 2x a day she moos every time she hears the house door or gate open. including when we drive up the driveway! Still wont let me halter her though......go figure! Good luck with your new adventure!

Latest posts