I am Angus: Ed Oliver

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for sharing, this made my day. The man really "got it". The part about looking at the herd is like going to school was a real insight most never learn.

His son looks like a country club preppie...doubt the program can continue without the vision of Ed Oliver.

Thanks for sharing Oldtimer, looks like we lost another true breeder when he passed. I hope his son continues in his fathers footsteps. The second video about winter storm Atlas was just heartbreaking.

Happy New Year, stay safe!

gizmom

Thanks for sharing oldtimer, I can relate to every word Mr. Oliver spoke as that is the same philosophy I am using here. Breeding cattle to suit me and my own environment with a closed gene pool. In my fortieth year.
DM

I moved back to my family farm about 8 years ago, with the opportunity to make a living from what my grandparents had built over a lifetime. The commercial cattle program was what I settled into, and soon there after met Ed Oliver and bought my first bull from him. The bull had a way about him that resonated very strongly with me, as did his breeder, and my soon to be good friend. I read Ed's book, talked to him on the phone about every month or so, and developed a kinship with Ed that i cherish greatly. I bought two more bulls the second year of knowing Ed, and the third and fourth years I bought his entire bull calf crop (except the 2-3 he kept for himself) to forage develop and sell as two year olds. Ed also shared two crops of heifer calves with me those years, and they are happily in production at my place today. Within the Wye Angus community, Ed is a big fish. His knowledge of the program was a thorough as i've met. His vision and determination to create a herd of cows that matched his mental image of 'great cow', is realized in the outstanding Angus cattle that roam the pastures of his family. His son, Spencer, who has spent the last few years with his dad in the pastures, continues that tradition, and is a new friend that i greatly value. Not many folks breed cattle like Ed, but thank goodness, there are a few.

Latest posts