Hypothetical questions

Help Support CattleToday:

WhisperCreek

Reaction score
Hypothetical questions for the ones with the knowledge.

I'm thinking of raising some beef cattle in hopes of maybe supplementing my "Retirement" income just a little. I've got about thirty acres of good pasture that I need to do something with and too much free time on my hands. Having a best friend in the dairy business for 60 years I've been around cows just enough to catch the bug, just not the milk bug.

My first question is, would you run a small cow / calf operation and try and find a few good mamas and a good bull to fit the bill, OR, would you buy feeder calves and raise for sale?

My second question, what color, breed, cross, etc...etc...and so on and why? Please explain!

Being limited on pasture I'm not expecting to make a pile of money, just make them pay their own way.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

WC

I don't pretend to be much in the know on this but I am retired and have one place with about 30 acres and run about 20 angus cows and a black simmental bull. They do well at keeping me busy. Of course the hay comes from elswhere.

WhisperCreek":3x81i9uy said:

I'm thinking of raising some beef cattle in hopes of maybe supplementing my "Retirement" income just a little. I've got about thirty acres of good pasture that I need to do something with and too much free time on my hands. Having a best friend in the dairy business for 60 years I've been around cows just enough to catch the bug, just not the milk bug.

My first question is, would you run a small cow / calf operation and try and find a few good mamas and a good bull to fit the bill, OR, would you buy feeder calves and raise for sale?

My second question, what color, breed, cross, etc...etc...and so on and why? Please explain!

Being limited on pasture I'm not expecting to make a pile of money, just make them pay their own way.

WC

Cattle will certainly take care of your excess free time! They are also excellent therapists and pretty good listeners - although they don't really give a flip if you've had a good day or a bad one. :lol: As to the question of what to run, that depends on how much time and effort you are willing to expend learning. A cow/calf operation provides much more satisfaction watching the little one's growing, running around, bucking and playing but there are a lot of pitfalls that come along with that type of operation - scours, pneumonia, etc. On the other hand feeders can and do get sick as well and don't provide the sheer joy that calves do. I don't know if you could make money with them or not in your area. There is also the factor of can you intervene and help a momma calving if she runs into trouble with a malpresentation, and do you know how to handle a protective momma who has just given birth but the sac did not come off the calf or he/she hasn't nursed yet, etc, the list goes on. I truly admire your desire to get into this business, but there are a lot of things to consider before taking that plunge. Just my thoughts.

PS With 30 acres I personally would hire a good AI tech and forget about the bull, you don't need the aggravation, potential fence fixing, feeding, and rounding up that can come along with a bulls nature.

PSS If I were just getting into cattle, I would go for a breed with proven docility such as Hereford or Murray Grey (Yes, we raise Murray Grey's and this is a shamless plug, but because we have raised them for better than 30 years I know about the breed and we have had very, very few that were hostile). Angus cattle are good cattle, but - in my experience - they can (keyword here being CAN) be a little short on the trigger (We have a few Angus and raised them prior to the Murray Greys). Stay away from Limo's and Tigers as they are just too unpredictable based on what I've read from many people on these boards. Listen to your tech as you don't want to be pulling calves - not good for the calf or the mother. Many other things to be dealt with and considered, but this should get you started thinking. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor!

WhisperCreek":xx0po3vg said:

WC

After you get your infrastucture built and if your frugal they might pay there own way and put a few dollars in your pocket. Cost of a tractor to move hay and pasture upkeep used 10,000 Good pen system, truck, trailer etc. A year like this one in Texas buying hay would make turning a profit or break even with your operating cost tough.

I'd go with feeders, that will give you a chance to "get your feet wet", test your fences, and your longanimity.

I'll take some "Hits" on this response; however, it's ok... :)

With Longhorns one can essentially "forget" about illness, disease, calving problems, pulling calves, "bad attitudes", picky and finicky eaters, etc.

They "hit the ground running" after an easy, low birthweight birth, and keep on going and stay in good health...

Ok...I'm biased. However, for people our age couldn't be more satisfied with the easy care and maintenance of Longhorns.

;-)

Well, since you have a little time on your hands, go down to the local salebarn and see what is selling the best.... whether its black, white, red, buckskin, etc....

You want something in the pasture that you enjoy looking at, buy quality over quantity (especially if you buy momma cows). Texan had a good post for someone asking this same question so you might do a search on his posts as he recommended (I believe) short solid cows in 2nd or 3rd period and you could sell off the calves or sell em as pairs, etc....

Everybody has their favorite breed so it mostly depends upon what you like/want to look at. I have char, charx and red polls but I also like beefmaster and simmental cows. To me the 1200-1350 lb cow is just right. Someone else may think that's too big. You gotta please yourself.

WhisperCreek,

If your 60+ I would seriously re-read msscamp's post. I would recommend docile cattle. I'm not trying to be dis-respectful to people older than myself, but trying to fight with a cow at 60+ is not the same as when your 35. My dad runs brangus, and I help him everytime there is any work to be done (he's 65 tomorrow) There are many times when I wish he had herefords. However, your facilities (corrals, catch pens, pasture layout) can all help you. As an example, if your catch pen is located in the middle of your 30 acres, and your cows have to go through it everytime you move them from one paddock to another, it will be easy to catch them to work em.

30 acres around here would safely hold 20 cows and a bull, but I'm not familiar with your parts in Georgia.

One thing that I will say that is extremely beneficial for the part timer: these animals are extremely liquid assets. Any time you want you can load up one or more and bring them to a nearby auction, and you have instant $.

You don't necessarily have to have stock trailers and other such equipment. Go to your local salebarn and ask around; I'd bet there are people who will haul your calves to the sale for you. At my dad's place, he doesn't need a trailer. Everytime he wants to sell something, we pen them up, and a guy he knows who goes to every sale comes by and picks them up. I think they charge him about $40 for each haul, but it's worth it for him.

Sorry for the long wind.

Running Arrow Bill":1c0yxryk said:

With Longhorns one can essentially "forget" about illness, disease, calving problems, pulling calves, "bad attitudes", picky and finicky eaters, etc.

They "hit the ground running" after an easy, low birthweight birth, and keep on going and stay in good health...

Ok...I'm biased. However, for people our age couldn't be more satisfied with the easy care and maintenance of Longhorns.

;-)

I agree, Bill!!
I'll take part of the heat, there Buddy. :cboy:

Other then the pure joy of owning cattle, why not lease it out and let someone else have the worrys? Or run a few stockers so you don;t need to be tied down over the winter or summer whichever is your choice.

dun

First thanks for all the input! It is very much appreciated.

Second I'm going to clarify a few things that may render some light on the subject. I'm not at all an older gent. I had to retire early for medical reasons. My best buddy is a second generation dairyman running the dairy farm his father started in 1946. I've been around it enough years that I've learnt about mean cows and protective mothers. I've pulled, jacked and even winched calves from rear ends in emergency cases. I'm familiar with the AI 'ing process as well as old bulls that have been around here to long. I generally raise my own bulls for slaughter, been doing it for years. I've never raised any for sale. The pasture I spoke of was brought from another dairyman. It has held cows for many years. I am currently in the process of running new fence as well as repairing some of the old. AS for the holding pen and a way to load/unload, cut cattle, or work them in a head chute it will be top of the line for this area. The equipment to farm the cows, trucks, tractors, trailers, planting, haying is not in question. We plant and cut from 250 to 400 hundred acres of rye grass each year. After the rye comes off we hay some of the same fields. I'm leaning strongly on my buddies advice along with one of his vets whom I've acquired a working relationship with on the health aspect of the cows.

I'm brand new to the beef market, but no green horn to cows in general. Thanks again for the input! WC

WhisperCreek":23xu9ppz said:

WC

If you have the time and temperment, you might look into a few registered cows. I prefer Angus, of course, but something else might work in your area. We have made more $$ with our herd of registered Angus than we ever would have made on a commercial herd of the same size. It's more demanding, but if you enjoy learning about EPDs, attending sales, etc. It might be a way for you to enjoy the cows and make some $$.

If you decide to go commercial, look into retaining ownership of your calves through the feedlot. That's another learning experience. ;-) Good luck....

Running Arrow Bill":18x3y5un said:

;-)

Longhorns are easy, maybe A.I. some longhorns for crosses.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":20vecm03 said:
I agree with Frankie in that if you are going to have just a FEW cattle, there is more money in Registered stock, and I also agree with Msscamp that Murray Grey would be an excellent choice! ;-) :cboy:

I was wondering how long it would be before that night crawler baited hook hit the pond.

WhisperCreek":a1zfa8wr said:
I'm not at all an older gent. I had to retire early for medical reasons.

Sorry WC, That's what I get for assuming; but I re-read my earlier post and would say that if you take out the age part, it would apply to anyone starting out. You obviously have a big learning advantage in that you've already pulled calves and sound like your facilities are going to be top notched.

400 acres of ryegrass; there are a lot of people in Texas that could use that right about now.

I am retiring in a couple of years and having raised shorthorns as a youth, I had decided to raise cattle again to add to the income. I did a lot of research on breeds of cattle and decided to check out breeds with a high docility factor. This factor was important to me as I watched how difficult it was for my aging father-in-law to continue handling his herd and also since my wife wasn't crazy about the idea of raising cattle since she had never been around them and she had some trepidations. After narrowing down the breed choices, I called a few breeders and found that the American British White Park breeders so thoroughly enjoyed their cattle, I had a hard time getting off the phone with them. I was convinced to take a closer look . We went to several farms and found out for our selves that none had exaggerated. My wife and I were able to meander thru the large herds and get close up without the cattle (bulls, cows, and heifers) trying to make a run for it to the next state. I picked out 3 bred heifers, paid, and made arrangements to pick them up 6 months later. After returning home, my wife decided my choices were not as breed specific as she would have liked. I might have still been judging with the shorthorn eyes of my youth. We went back and she picked 3 different ones out by choosing from the ones that came up to her and licked her. 3 years later, these cattle have the same calming effect on us that they had on the day my wife picked them out. They are outstanding animals and are a pleasure to raise. I wondered how my wife would react when it was time to ship the young bull calves to market but she's turned into a real cattlewoman in that respect. There is some prejudice at the market in our area due to their color but their conformation was so good that the stockyard compensated me for that and I was able to get good market prices. While my father-in-law is now considering having to get out of the business because they are just too much for him to handle, I am not having to deal with those issues with this breed. This breed has worked out well for us but good luck whichever way you decide to go. Also, I'm interested in hearing more about your ryegrass. Do you use it in your pastures? Thanks for any info and you can check out the ABWP breed at our website or at the breed association website. http://www.americanbritishwhite.com Sylvanglades Farm
http://www.whitecattle.org/

If i did'nt do what i already do. i would raise registered cattle. and have sales on my farm.

If you start out with Cows then I'd start with pairs and put a bull on them, that way you'd have money coming in quicker and you would have some in the oven at the same time. Other wise you buy bred cows with the risk of them having calving problems or you dont even know the quality of the calf and you have to wait on them to have calves. With pairs your money is already on the ground and you know what your getting. Some people spoke of herefords, they're generally cheaper and docile as well, I'd throw an angus bull on them and then you'd have the market topper black white faced baldies.

Nothing at all wrong with stocker calves, just alot of work and care. Buy them a few weeks before grass and get them lined out and ready to graze and ship them out when the grass is gone.

Best of luck in whatever you choose!

Sylvanglades:
I'm interested in hearing more about your ryegrass. Do you use it in your pastures?

We put the Rye Grass in the ground around mid October in hopes of missing the army worm march through our area. We'll start harvesting it first to mid April depending on where the seed head is in the stem of the plants. The grass is cut , wilted, then chopped to go in a pit for part of the milk herds rations. We have two big in ground pits that the grass is stored in until needed. The amount in the pits dictates how much we plant for the next season.

We do not currently plant the ryegrass for pasture here at the dairy, however, I was planning on planting some over at my place for winter pasture. My plans there are still up in the air. I'm hoping to start putting a few cows over there by April 1st.

I want to Thank all the input thus far, WC

Latest posts