Hydrgen peroxide

Help Support CattleToday:

Coweena

Reaction score
I read somewhere that putting hydrogen peroxide 50% ( I think, i know it was a higher %) in a calfs water would cure pnuemonia. Does anyone know anything about this?

Coweena":1q644iyy said:
I read somewhere that putting hydrogen peroxide 50% ( I think, i know it was a higher %) in a calfs water would cure pnuemonia. Does anyone know anything about this?

If this is true - and I doubt it - I suspect it would be a highly publicized cure. Which it is not.

Never heard of this one - anyone?

Bez>

High strength peroxide is a quack cure, advertised to cure AIDS, emphysema and cancer. It is seriously dangerous stuff, and is highly corrosive. No evidence that drinking it has any benefits.

Coweena":35vdlajo said:
i have used it for my own sore throats. dont see how it could work on upper respiratory on a calf.if you could get a calf too gargle and kill the bacteria with it maybe ;-) but i keep it for topical use in a hand sprayer all the time

This is not the article I was reading but it covers part of what it said. I have never heard of this but it sounded good and thats why I asked. Heres the article I could find:

Many farmers have reported good results from the use of food grade H202. Claims have been made of reduced disease, increased butterfat in milk, higher egg production, heavier chickens and healthier fruit and fish. The following is a summary of how some farmers and ranchers use H202:

Drinking Water for Farm Animals: Use 8 ozs. of 35% food grade H202 per 1000 gallons of water or 30 ppm.
Dairy Barn: Use as a pipeline rinse for milkstone. As a rule, 2 to 4 ounces of 35% H202 to 15 gallons of water will work with good results. Also works well for rinsing milk cans and bulk tanks to keep down bacteria as well as milkstone.
Power Wash: To sanitize dairy barns or hog houses use enough hydrogen peroxide to cause a light foaming action when spraying the floors and walls. Leave this until the foaming subsides, and rinse again. If foaming recurs, either raise the amount of H202 or continue at the same level and respray.
Udder Wash: Use 1 oz. of 35% H202 to a gallon of warm water. The cows tend to have softer teats and are freer of bacteria which reduces bacteria in the bulk tank.
Colostrum Milk: To keep if from spoilage until it is all fed to the newborn calf, depending on the time of year, pH of the milk, temperature, etc., one can use from 1/4 oz. to up to 1 oz. of 35% H202 per gallon of colostrum milk.
Newborn Calves: To add extra oxygen, add 10 to 15 drops 35% H202 to a bottle of milk, morning and evening, per calf. This has helped to brighten up calves and in some cases of scours, depending on the pH of the milk being fed.
Drench: For high fever and off- feed cows with mastitis, depending on the situation and case, mix 1 to 2 ounces of 35% H202 to 1 quart of water, drenching the animal morning and evening for as long as needed, usually 2-3 days.
Ailing Cows: Use 1 pint of 3% H202 to 5 gallons of water.
Induce vomiting: Use 3% H202.
Animal Wounds: Clean wounds of animals with 3% H202.
Afterbirth of Cows: Cows settle and clean out faster after giving birth to a calf when H202 is added to their drinking water.

Coweena":p8f504gu said:
This is not the article I was reading but it covers part of what it said. I have never heard of this but it sounded good and thats why I asked. Heres the article I could find:

Many farmers have reported good results from the use of food grade H202. Claims have been made of reduced disease, increased butterfat in milk, higher egg production, heavier chickens and healthier fruit and fish. The following is a summary of how some farmers and ranchers use H202:

Drinking Water for Farm Animals: Use 8 ozs. of 35% food grade H202 per 1000 gallons of water or 30 ppm.
Dairy Barn: Use as a pipeline rinse for milkstone. As a rule, 2 to 4 ounces of 35% H202 to 15 gallons of water will work with good results. Also works well for rinsing milk cans and bulk tanks to keep down bacteria as well as milkstone.
Power Wash: To sanitize dairy barns or hog houses use enough hydrogen peroxide to cause a light foaming action when spraying the floors and walls. Leave this until the foaming subsides, and rinse again. If foaming recurs, either raise the amount of H202 or continue at the same level and respray.
Udder Wash: Use 1 oz. of 35% H202 to a gallon of warm water. The cows tend to have softer teats and are freer of bacteria which reduces bacteria in the bulk tank.
Colostrum Milk: To keep if from spoilage until it is all fed to the newborn calf, depending on the time of year, pH of the milk, temperature, etc., one can use from 1/4 oz. to up to 1 oz. of 35% H202 per gallon of colostrum milk.
Newborn Calves: To add extra oxygen, add 10 to 15 drops 35% H202 to a bottle of milk, morning and evening, per calf. This has helped to brighten up calves and in some cases of scours, depending on the pH of the milk being fed.
Drench: For high fever and off- feed cows with mastitis, depending on the situation and case, mix 1 to 2 ounces of 35% H202 to 1 quart of water, drenching the animal morning and evening for as long as needed, usually 2-3 days.
Ailing Cows: Use 1 pint of 3% H202 to 5 gallons of water.
Induce vomiting: Use 3% H202.
Animal Wounds: Clean wounds of animals with 3% H202.
Afterbirth of Cows: Cows settle and clean out faster after giving birth to a calf when H202 is added to their drinking water.
be interesting to know what or where you got this article. i can see where it would work to combat but not cure.

I did a search for hydrogen peroxide use in cattle and came up with it . Theres about 100 sites but here a link to one of them:
http://www.agriorganics.com/products/hy ... oxide.html

I was just wondering if anybody thinks it would be helpful . Ive used it to brush my teeth ( not tasty) and cuts and stuff too . I wish I could find the original article I read about the baby calves. I search too much and cant remember where I read it though.I usually find the best info. when Im looking for something else and then I can never get back to it.

I dont know about cureing pnuemonia sounds like a stretch to me. But its supposed to be good to use as mouth rinse, and also heard that it was great to wash windows with.

jkwilson":3ucgadeu said:
High strength peroxide is a quack cure, advertised to cure AIDS, emphysema and cancer. It is seriously dangerous stuff, and is highly corrosive. No evidence that drinking it has any benefits.

Hello jkwilson

Wow... you seem to know alot about hydrogen peroxide. Did you know that our own bodies produce hydrogen peroxide to fight bacteria and disease?

Coweena":1ljjx0bb said:

Hello Coweena

This is what our company does. We sell hydrogen peroxide and have installed our systems on hundreds of farms across the country. If there is nothing to hydrogen peroxide and what we are doing we sure are doing alot of business for a product that does nothing....lol
Seriously though Coweena if you have any questions feel free to ask. PM me more information on our company and why Oxy Blast is making a difference in the farming communities around the country. Is your calf having problems with pnuemonia?

ALACOWMAN":1icg20sw said:
be interesting to know what or where you got this article. i can see where it would work to combat but not cure.

I can vouch that there are many, many testimonials from farmers using hydrogen peroxide. We hear them every week. Is hydrogen peroxide the "silver bullet"? No. But by golly people are getting their herds off of shots and injections. Of course the vets dont like that. But our company has the highly respected organic veterinarian Dr. Paul Detloff as our company spokesman. Ask him about hydrogen peroxide and what it has and is doing. Beware most of your vets dont want you to know about this because they make good money on all your medications....lol

Article from the Agribusiness Dairyman Sept 2005

by S. M. Crawford

Oxy Blast Plus - A Better Water Treatment

http://www.essentialwater.net/articles/obp.htm

Oxy Blast Plus, produced by Essential Water Solutions, Inc., is an economical health enhancing alternative for water treatment. Oxy Blast Plus is a base of 50 percent hydrogen peroxide with a proprietary blend of herbal antibiotics that work syngergistically to potentize the H2O2.

The immediate effect of the addition of Oxy Blast Plus to water systems is an overwhelming improvement in water quality because of the germ killing features of this product. Killing bacteria, viruses and fungi mean that water lines are clean and stock tanks will have no algae build-up, thus saving manual clean up labor. Oxy Blast Plus also effectively reduces or eliminates odors (particularly sulphur) from water as well as high levels of iron bacteria and manganese (with filtration) producing a better quality water. Better quality water means cows drink more water, which could positively effect milk production.

Other benefits for livestock that have been reported include lower somatic cell counts, a reduction of e-coli, respiratory infections, strep, and sick pen time, increased levels of colostrum after calving, less incidence of mastitis, fewer problems with scours in newborns, and the elimination of foot rot. It may also be used as an effective and economical teat dip, a topical application use for hairy wart, and a natural dewormer. Oxy Blast dissipates chlorine out of water supplies and has been approved for organic farming use.

In short, some of the prime benefits of regular use of Oxy Blast Plus are: 1) a cleaner water supply by the reduction of algae, e-coli and other bacteria, viruses and fungi, 2) greater water consumption, 3) a reduction in the amount and usage of medications and 4) an overall increase in herd health and well being.

Oxy Blast Plus is injected directly into the water system by a peristaltic squeeze pump that administers Oxy Blast Plus evenly into the water supply. A maintenance level of 50 parts per million is recommended for best results. Monitoring is a simple as dipping a test strip into the area to be checked. The flow of Oxy Blast Plus into your water system can be easily adjusted to match water consumption and maintain adequate ppm.

Depending on the volume of Oxy Blast Plus purchased, the cost is two to four cents per cow per day. The added benefits that the product provide generally offset this investment.

Ryder":29j7ykkm said:
Do you have any peer reviewed research articles published in reputable scientific journals?
Trials with valid statistical analysis should be easy enough to do.

Hey Ryder

I dont know if you are referring to livestock or humans? Sometimes things look good all dressed up in a "scientific journal" but in the field or in use they dont work so well. So if one wants to rely on a bunch of scientific studies with files and files of reports. That is fine if that is what they want.(you may have a hard time finding a bunch on H2O2) But what it really boils down to is if a product works out in the field. Does this product do what is claimed to do?

Well if you look you may find some information in some scientific journals. And some scientific journals had carried testimonials of H2O2 that date back over 80 years ago. Doctors have used H2O2 in the past. And found success with H2O2. And this goes back into the late 1800's. But one recent medical doctor did a more thorough study into H2O2 and intravenously used H2O2 on patients and these are his findings if interested. ;-)

http://www.rexresearch.com/peroxide/farr/farr.htm

I think you will find that the medical establishment does not want the real facts about H2O2 to get out. Remember they are really just sales representatives for the pharmaceutical companies.

Another good article if interested....

The Art of Getting Well Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy

http://arthritistrust.org/Articles/Hydr ... herapy.pdf

OxyBlast":3jkmvg96 said:
ALACOWMAN":3jkmvg96 said:

But our company has the highly respected organic veterinarian Dr. Paul Detloff as our company spokesman.

And specifically what are his qualifications to be an "organic vet", when there is no such specialty and the words hocum come to mind....?

http://www.cfap.org/afs_temp3.cfm?topicID=415

Out of curiosity I googled Dr. Detloff. The above was the first hit.

Apparently he's the real deal, Vicky. The above site seems to be connected with Cornell. I searched the page and found this:

Alternative Treatments for Ruminant Animals
http://www.acresusa.com/books/closeup.a ... =11&pcid=2

Paul Detloff, D.V.M.

Drawing on 36 years of veterinary practice, Dr. Paul Detloff presents an natural, sustainable approach to ruminant health. Copiously illustrated chapters "break down" the animal into its interrelated biological systems: digestive, reproductive, respiratory, circulatory, musculoskeletal, and more. Also includes a chapter on nosodes, with vaccination programs for dairy cattle, sheep, and goats. An information-packed manual from a renowned vet and educator.

Alice

Alice, I didn't dispute his qualification, I dispute that there is a specialty called organic vet. He would, in my profession, be known as alternative medicine or holistic. There is no such designation as organic,which from my chemistry days, means "containing carbon"....hopefully we all qualify as that. And since I've read research on the subject, the word hocum still comes to mind.

Yeah, I hear ya' about the designation of organic vet. I've read about holistic vets, but I'd never heard organic vet, either...which is why I googled it in the first place. Truth be told, the word organic attached to anything kinda turns me off.

Alice

Are we talking about two different things here? Using hydrogen peroxide to clean water by killing bacteria, and using hydrogen peroxide by ingesting it, or infusing it.

If you add Hydrogen peroxide to water, and it was a strong enough percentage, it would kill the bacteria in the water. So it might be a good alternative to using chlorine. Many bacterial diseases are spread by communal drinking.

But it won't last long, and would just turn into plain, old, ready to recontaminate, water. So a system to replace the hydrogen peroxide, in a steady level would keep the water aseptic.

But as far as drinking or infusing hydrogen peroxide into people or my cattle, well, all I can say is...You go first.

Latest posts