Hydraulic Cylinder

Help Support CattleToday:

Hondac

Reaction score
I have leaking hydraulic cylinders on the tension system of my John Deere 530 baler. Having never removed a cylinder before, I have a couple of questions. Is it a difficult project for a novice?
Any precautions involved such as pressure relief or getting air in the system? Should tail gate be open or closed when removing these cylinders? Thanks in advance.

Whichever position is easiest to get to it. It's no big deal to remove and replace a cylinder, it's a serious job to rebuild one "CORRECTLY" with out doing damage to the new parts. No problem with air in the systme since it will works it's way out with a couple of cycles of the rear door.

Dun is correct. When you get the cylinder off take it to a shop and have them reseal it. It's usually pretty darn cheap. I've rebuilt them before and it can be a pain in the ?>@#. Just place the equipment in a position where the cylinder is "relaxed" (no pressure on it) and take it off.

If the 530 has a gate lock make sure you have it locked when futzing with the gate/cylinder

Thanks guys. I'll probably take a stab at it. Have been told that it will help make my bales a little tighter.

dun":vuuowxh0 said:
If the 530 has a gate lock make sure you have it locked when futzing with the gate/cylinder

I don't know mechanical details of a Deere baler. My Hesston has a hydraulic lock that depends on the cylinders themselves.

So if the hydraulic cylinder is on the gate itself, it's gonna hafta be done with the gate down anyway. If it's a bale tension cylinder, the hydraulic pressure will have to be let off.

John SD":2itfflk3 said:
dun":2itfflk3 said:

I don't know mechanical details of a Deere baler. My Hesston has a hydraulic lock that depends on the cylinders themselves.

So if the hydraulic cylinder is on the gate itself, it's gonna hafta be done with the gate down anyway. If it's a bale tension cylinder, the hydraulic pressure will have to be let off.
My 535 has 2 cylinders. When I pulled them I wedged a chunk of telephone pole in the gate to keep it up. That was handier to get the cylinderrs off then with the gate closed. Never thought of what might happen if one of the cylinders was removed and the lock engaged. Dont know if it would work with one line open.

what ever position you decide to take it off when you have the cylinder in that position just bump the other Hyd lever. you should see the hyd hose relax and it will take the pressure off it.

Latest posts