How's Turkey Season Looking?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Been seeing several flocks of turkeys grouped up in some fields and it looks like population has increased over last year. Had some concern about coyotes killing them but it looks like they did quite well in spite of them. Saw a huge double-bearded tom in a flock of 30 or so. Sure would be nice to get a bead on him. Want be too long before the season comes in. I'm feeling a little fever coming on. How bout ya'll?

Jogeephus":2ggoa7d7 said:
Been seeing several flocks of turkeys grouped up in some fields and it looks like population has increased over last year. Had some concern about coyotes killing them but it looks like they did quite well in spite of them. Saw a huge double-bearded tom in a flock of 30 or so. Sure would be nice to get a bead on him. Want be too long before the season comes in. I'm feeling a little fever coming on. How bout ya'll?

Looks bleak here as ours got almost wiped out by Rita. Looks like if I want to turkey hunt this year have to pack up the old bag and head for Hill county.

We're not seeing the big flocks like we did in the past winters. It's been so mild I don;t think they've ganged up yet. The normal size this year runs from 23 - 38 burds. There is one small flock of 11 that hangs out in the front hayfield, all long beards and 2-3 loooooong beards. In the big flock there will be a shootable tom or 2 and a couple of jakes, mostly hens though.

All I know is, Wild turkeys are some tough old birds, Record cold wind chill up here and they don't seem to hardly notice. :roll: Roost up in the tall trees exposed to the North wind. They just fluff up, tuck their heads down close and sit. :shock:

Florida cattle":29rjmtwh said:
Joe ours is looking okay, but I'm seeing a few less birds than last winter. I think it's time to step up the preadtor control.

I've been worried about the coyotes. We are seeing more and more of them. I drop them every chance I get but I still see more of them. Saw two BIG ones Tuesday while feeding. Looked like german shepards or wolves. Never seen any this big. A friend is going to give me one of those predator calls with the big speaker and I'm going to try my hand at the proactive approach to shooting them. I'm afraid the wait may be boring but maybe the call will bring them in quicker than I think. I hope so cause I get bored quite easily. I guess that is why I enjoy buzzard busting so much. ;-)

Around here, the Wild Turkey has made the most sucessful comeback anyone can imagine.In some cases to where folks are complaining theres too many of em'.

[/quote]Looked like german shepards or wolves.[/quote]

well Joe test have been done in the past and wolf DNA has been found in Eastern Coyotes and that is why the eastern tends to be bigger and be in packs sometimes over the smaller western coyote. Oh and shooting coyotes is fun, but if you call one in with a call and miss him you most likely will never call that coyote in with that sound again. Also like turkey hunting you better camoflage everything, they are easy to call but they don't miss anything.

I counted 57 in one flock a few weeks ago , mostly hens and young ones, and just saw a nice longbeard by himself on thursday.

I recently read some data that suggested that coyotes "may" actually help the turkey population. Some researchers believe that the coyotes actually help the turkeys out by preying on nest predators, i.e. skunks, raccoons, opossums, snakes, etc. I still cap every yote I can though.

The population here in Bama seems to be holding steady, I've been seeing a winter flock of about 30 hens regularly. I saw a flock of gobblers about 2 weeks ago that had 11 in it. Maybe we'll have a pretty decent spring.

Lots of turkeys here. Maybe too many. Longbeards stay henned up til season is almost over. Wish they would open season on hens for a season or two.

As far as coyotes go, a biologist friend of mine tells me that coyotes are similar to wolves in the aspect that only one pair per pack will breed. If you shoot the alpha male from a particular pack, the pecking order is shot and every male will begin breeding. In other words, if you kill the one wrong animal, you could end up with several litters of pups instead of one.

Typical of what happens when you need a gate opened.

turks-1.jpg

i saw a flock of 23 this morning. They seem to be doing well around here.

i recall when you didn't see any.

Wewild":1blviau5 said:
i saw a flock of 23 this morning. They seem to be doing well around here.

i recall when you didn't see any.

Same here. Ours have really built some numbers in the last ten years. I love to watch them.

I guess the spring turkey season will be alright,started warming up around here,did'nt take those gobblers long to get spring fever,they are gobbling ever morning about day break...........good luck

I've seen some small groups. I had to stop the truck the other day to let about 5 hens cross the road. Alabama has turkey population of about 450,000 so it's not uncommon to run across a turkey or two every now and then.