How's the twinning going for everyone

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
Literally thought here we were going to make it a full calving season without a set which would have been the first in many many years. But yesterday one of the last females expecting had a set and has kept our streak a going. She had a heifer and a bull around 100 yards or so apart. Finally got the threesome up and she would moo to both of them but ended up kicking the heifer each time she try to nurse. Therefore just decided to pull the heifer and feed it myself.

I didn't have any twins this year.. no orphans and no losses though, so I'm happy.. Dad's pet is super late, calving in October or so.. she's had twins before so maybe she will again
I think G creek had a heck of a run of twins this year

We had 2 sets, one set stillborn and one set thriving... If I hadn't tagged them, I wouldn't be able to pick them out.

My daughter's old Limi cow dropped a pair of heifer twins on her 14th birthday (the cow's) this spring. They seemed identical at birth, not so much now. One is a drop dead gorgeous replacement prospect. The other is frail, a bit pot bellied looking and falling behind on growth. Both get the same creep feed, and I haven't noticed that the dam favors one more than the other. The smaller one will get weaned early when I preg check cows in a couple of weeks and eventually she will find a new address...

Four sets this year. We are using them to improve our stockmanship skills. Way too easy to raise one calf per cow. :cowboy:

Pulled one each from the first two sets and put them on a 51 cent Jersey x Hereford cow. I think she could be the most profitable commercial cow in the county this year.

Second two sets were from June pasture calvers, when grass was already tall, so they were on their own. At least one is a big time milk thief. One thing we have noticed with Simi cross cows is that they are easy, and sometimes have up to three calves nursing at one time... Not a good thing for uniformity.

14 sets this year. One set from a cow that was on the cull list so kept her in a small pasture and she is doing a great job raising both. I pulled one twin from every set and either grafted as required or sold for pocket money. Had 27 live calves out of the possible 28.

Out of our 28 we had one set. One cow popped a tiny dummy calf (alive) but we had to help it out of its misery. Our cow that had twins had a set last year as a heifer too. If we hadn't noticed her calving we would have lost both sets. The first set was 4 legs coming at once and the second both were tail first. Managed to adopt one off each time, this year onto that one that had a dummy. My Dad had one set out of 60, both my bros had one set each out of their large 4-5 cow herds! My older bro's cow's twins were dead before hand, an 11 year old cow that was meant to be culled after she lost twins last year. That bro isn't at all interested in cows so maybe it's a sign he should sell the rest. He wouldn't notice if they were gone except at market time when the check usually comes 🙄

We used to have a lot of "still born" twins when we calved earlier. I think the cool weather was too much for some.

Since we started calving later, and usually pulled one twin at day one , we have had much better survival rate.

We have been trying the nurse cow thing. It is a crap shoot, but a strong bottle calf and a head gate seems to usually work.

Last year i had a set of twins... and well, Might as well let a milk thief in there as well.. She had a pretty poor udder so it didn't hurt to get it nursed down a bit

Only had one set of twins ever until this year and she had them during a brutal winter storm. When I found them that morning it appeared she had the first, began cleaning it off then went into labor with the 2nd. Pretty sure the 2nd was stillborn because it was TINY, just didn't look right. She had resumed cleaning off the first but it was almost frozen. Took it to the workshop and tried too warm it up but was too late. Not a fan of twins!

TCRanch said:
Only had one set of twins ever until this year and she had them during a brutal winter storm. When I found them that morning it appeared she had the first, began cleaning it off then went into labor with the 2nd. Pretty sure the 2nd was stillborn because it was TINY, just didn't look right. She had resumed cleaning off the first but it was almost frozen. Took it to the workshop and tried too warm it up but was too late. Not a fan of twins!

They're a joy when they both make it but I agree, not a fan.

my first cow to calf this year had a nice set of twins (one bull, one heifer) running around when I checked on them when I got home from work. the second set was still born about a week later. have two sets of twins confirmed from ultrasound for next season. one of which is cow that had still born calves this year. Not sure if it is a good choice to keep her. one more cow that has a history of twins is due a little later so I sent in blood sample. she was really high at 30 days so will get her ultrasound tested in a few weeks to check for twins. too many twins for a 25 head hubby herd.

An ultrasound done on all of them would be great, that way I would be sure to have those to have twins in the small lot or pasture. Though most of the time I can predict the ones carrying twins by how large they get. Occasionally I'll miss it and its just a large calf, or an over conditioned cow, or really small twins. This last one we did indeed think twins and was hoping we be wrong because we're not fans of twins neither and this cow isn't easy to fool with and we wanted the streak too break but of course it didn't happen.
The cow is taking care of the bull and the heifer is doing great on the bottle. Drinking a bottle in the morning and evening along with some water when I offer it. Plan is probably sell it after finishing this old bag of milk. Keeping it in the dog kennel right next to the house for the time being and Dave my A. Shep/Heeler loves it. They're best pals. Dave stays in the house mostly but I think he would love to stay out there now.

Vet was out one year and got to talking about how he didn't like twins and I said I agreed with him. Luckily my wife happened to notice our 4 year old twin daughters had tears welled up in their eyes and then I had to explain I that I was only talking about cows.

Dubcharo said:
4 pairs alive, 1 pair dead. Fun fact 1 pair is from a twin female with a male.

That's interesting. I understand the chances of that are very slim. I've never seen it, but have only kept such females by mistake a few times.

Latest posts