Howmany times a day to feed a 15 day old calf??

Help Support CattleToday:

winddancer

Reaction score
ok I need to know how many times a day to be offering her a bottle or bucket of milk?Right now we are doing it twice daily..

winddancer":3kcck7xs said:
ok I need to know how many times a day to be offering her a bottle or bucket of milk?Right now we are doing it twice daily..

Smaller amounts more often throughout the day will help the digestive process. But twice is all the holstein bucket calves got on the dairy.
It boils down to what you have time for.

I know that some folks bottle feed more often but I raised an orphan heifer on two feedings a day and she has done really well. She had a good start-was on her mother for a month before her mother suffered an injury and died. I fed her two calf bottles per feeding twice a day and she did fine. I fed two fifty pound bags of milk replacer and started her on some feed as soon as she would eat it. Now she gets some grain and grazes.

winddancer, your calf should be gettin 2 quarts of milk replacer twice a day on a 12 hour schedule if it be at all possible.

For best results give 1 quart 4 times a day for the first 2 weeks, Then go to 2 quarts daily. This is really stressful on you, very few people do it. Most just do the twice daily thing.

Only time I've ever done more than 2x a day was when doctoring sick calves. Twice a day is sufficient for a healthy calf.

All I have ever done was twice a day 2 quarts in the AM and 2 quarts in the PM and never had a problem.

Latest posts