HOW???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am a high school student in Gainesville, Texas. My family and I live on a small farm where we raise poultry, water fowl, rabbits, goats, and baby calves. I myself would like to continue farming with hopes of raiseing cattle and growing corn. Since I will have some agriculture experience, but I will have to start mostly from scratch. What would be the best road to take to full fill my dream of raising cows and growing corn? If anyone has any ideas I would be more than glad to hear them.

Take care, Benjamin

[email protected]

First and foremost, GO TO COLLEGE! You will be in deep cow manure if your ranch falls through and you have no other form of income. Second of all, READ! The best way to learn what you need is to read from magazines and articles on the internet. I also suggest that you get a job on a local ranch. Most ranchers will be willing to teach you a thing or two about the business. Back to the college. I currently attend Tarleton State University in Stephenville. It is mostly an Ag-based school but offers many different majors. And as for magazines, I suggest subscribing to "The Cattleman." It gives you insight on A LOT about the cattle industry. So, good luck and hope to see ya at Tarleton.

[email protected]

All great advice. One more thing that my dad always told me: "The best way to make a small fortune in the cattle business is to start off with a big one." Wish it wasn't so stinking true.

BTW, y'all send some rain down south! I know you're getting some because the Bosque is running good but you couldn't tell it from the way it looks around here.