How would you cut up a 5yr old cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I'm taking one of my cows to the butcher in January. She calved in August and will have the calf on her up until the slaughter date. She has gotten around a gallon of feed daily for the past three years, and has maintained her condition well with the calf on her. I'm wondering how I should have her cut up? All burger? All burger except the best steaks/roasts? I've heard from a few folks on Facebook on being surprised how well a steak from a Beltie cow tastes. Any thoughts? Should I just wait and see what the butcher recommends?

I had a 7 year old cow slaughtered once. I just assumed the steaks wouldn't be good, and had only the best cuts made steaks, and no roast, and the rest ground. I was very surprised how good the steaks were. I was kicking myself for not having it butchered like a finished steer.

Bigfoot said:
I had a 7 year old cow slaughtered once. I just assumed the steaks wouldn't be good, and had only the best cuts made steaks, and no roast, and the rest ground. I was very surprised how good the steaks were. I was kicking myself for not having it butchered like a finished steer.
I've heard that now a handful of times. I guess I'll let the butcher guide me on how it should be cut based on what it looks like at the time of processing.

If she has been on grass I would do her up normally - some of the finest beef out there is a cow at this age - just my opinion.

I had a 12 y/o done a couple years ago. I didn't get any as I had her all sold. Sold her for less than one of my young ones. Never heard anything bad, just heard that she was great. Grass fed, not a lot of walking. I'd do it normal.

Latest posts