How to teach a deaf dog.

Help Support CattleToday:

cow_crazy_101

Reaction score
Do ya'll have any ideas on how to teach a deaf dog? A friend was given a callou hound, and she is deaf{the dog}. any ideas on how to teach her commands?. I actuly think this is kinda funny :lol2: but do you have any hint or tips????

When I was looking into purebred dogs - I found that a large number of certain breeds are deaf and if memory serves me right (and it may not) there were some good articles written about training deaf dogs- using hand signals and such. I'd use a search engine and see what comes up.

cow_crazy_101":anyhuci8 said:
Do ya'll have any ideas on how to teach a deaf dog? A friend was given a callou hound, and she is deaf{the dog}. any ideas on how to teach her commands?. I actuly think this is kinda funny :lol2: but do you have any hint or tips????

Outside, no - no ideas. Inside, stomp on the floor to get the dogs attention(may be deaf, but can still feel the vibration) and then hand signals combined with guidance and treats. For instance - stomp on the floor, raise a treat above the dogs head (to sit), combined with a hand signal. Same thing with 'lay down' - except lower the treat to the floor, combined with a hand signal. Keep repeating until the dog makes the connection. I must admit, though, I'm at a total loss as to why you would find this funny.

msscamp":10gngw24 said:
cow_crazy_101":10gngw24 said:

Outside, no - no ideas. Inside, stomp on the floor to get the dogs attention(may be deaf, but can still feel the vibration) and then hand signals combined with guidance and treats. For instance - stomp on the floor, raise a treat above the dogs head (to sit), combined with a hand signal. Same thing with 'lay down' - except lower the treat to the floor, combined with a hand signal. Keep repeating until the dog makes the connection. I must admit, though, I'm at a total loss as to why you would find this funny.

I will try all these ideas. I Don't think that the dog beinging deaf is funny, i think that the man getting a deaf dog is funny.We have her now and i will post some pictures.

My concern is that the breeder did not put the animal down, as a pup. Many breeds can have blind or deaf animals but a responsible breeder identifies thes animals and puts them down. Weather giving or selling a deaf dog a breeder is putting their reputaion and the breeds reputaion at risk and it will bite them in the rear end sooner or latter.

Good luck training your dog.

My 13 year old Dalmatian is now deaf. I got her from a rescue and when she could hear, she was one of the smartest, most obedient dogs I ever had. She has been slowly going deaf over the last few years and she is completely deaf now. I started working on hand signals when she could still hear and she does very well when she's looking at you. Hardest thing in teaching a deaf dog is to get their attention so they can see you give them the hand signals. :(

Are you talking about catahoulas? If so, the merle gene puts them at risk for deafness and blindness..and on the negative side..catahoulas get really cranky when they get older so some day that dog is gonna bite someone and get put down.

TedH71":1s3uurm8 said:
Are you talking about catahoulas? If so, the merle gene puts them at risk for deafness and blindness..and on the negative side..catahoulas get really cranky when they get older so some day that dog is gonna bite someone and get put down.

:roll:

Hand signals. My 1/2 Pit 1/2 American Bulldog,,, Soldier,,, uses hand signals and verbal commands.

IF you hold your finger in front of him and kind of point upward he will sit. If you point at the floor he will lay down. Put your hand out and he will shake. If you hold a fist up in the air and then open your fingers and move your hand upward he will speak.

The only thing I can think for cases where the dog is not looking at you is getting a stimulation collar (shock collar) and settng it real low so it is basically a tickle. That away if the dog is not looking at you,,, you could press the button to get its attention.

Here is Soldier. He is our house dog and a big ole baby.

Soldier.jpg

Hand signals and use of flashlight signals for distance work.

One book that I know of is Living With a Deaf Dog by Susan Cope Becker ISBN: 0-9660058-0-5

My wife picked the book up as reference for the question, "What do you do with a deaf dog?" when she was doing some sign language interpreting for the deaf.

We have never personally tried information in it on a deaf dog. Our hearing dog has learned the signs for basic commands, for teaching a hearing dog sign, can be valuable if the dog loses hearing when it grows old.

TedH71":1e2ugvd3 said:
Are you talking about catahoulas? If so, the merle gene puts them at risk for deafness and blindness...

You have the same problem with Australian Shepherds by breeding a merle to a merle. A responsible breeder would never consider doing that, but "responsible" is the key word here. :(

Latest posts