How to sex an unborn calf

Help Support CattleToday:

lilmac

Reaction score
I was watching an auction on RFD and they were selling 30-40 heifer lots carring bull calves. Do they sex them with ultrasound like a human? They almost indicated that they were breed to drop a bull calf.
Thanks,
Mac

lilmac":38an30gz said:
I was watching an auction on RFD and they were selling 30-40 heifer lots carring bull calves. Do they sex them with ultrasound like a human? They almost indicated that they were breed to drop a bull calf.
Thanks,
Mac

Sexed semen is now available--but usually those heifer groups selling carrying all bulls or all heifers are from a large group that has been ultrasounded and divided up into lots by calf's sex....

Thanks Oldtimer, I don't know much about AI, I am an oldtimer too, just don't keep up with the times. I let the bulls do the dirty deed, and take pot luck.
Thanks for the quick reply, I know to do the search thing, just did'nt think of it.
Mac

I quit thinking there is an actual right and wrong way to do anything regarding preg checking a while back. For every five experienced expert vets you talk to you get six opinions.

Third Row":1yxpl5hu said:
I quit thinking there is an actual right and wrong way to do anything regarding preg checking a while back. For every five experienced expert vets you talk to you get six opinions.
Not sure what you are referring to.
Preg checking the traditional way in early pregnancy "can" cause abortions (absorptions), but very little chance of this with ultrasound checking.
The 50-90 day window is because before & after that age (give or take a few days depending on the operator), they cannot detect the sex.

sidney411":1kdqq4ku said:
Why can't they determine the sex after 90 days gestation? Seems like it would be easier if the fetus was bigger?

The way it was explained to me was that the fetus isn;t in as good of a position for ultrasound, i.e. it's moved further forward in the cow closer to going over the brim of the pelvis.

Jeanne - Simme Valley, I mean when we get down to the specifics between 50 and 60 days, it depends on which expert you are talking to and there aren't any absolutes.

I've been told 60-100 days... too much earlier and the calf is too small to examine, too late in that time frame and the calf goes over the edge of the pelvis and can't be seen and handled/turned as needed.

Depends on the animal though. Had a well-fed heifer done at 80 days gestation and my vet almost couldn't get the calf rotated where he could see the underside.

Third Row":1cfkndtw said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley, I mean when we get down to the specifics between 50 and 60 days, it depends on which expert you are talking to and there aren't any absolutes.
Yes, you are sooo right - number of days depends on the operator AND the animal.

Latest posts