How to halter break?

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
I've searched other posts but couldn't find a "step by step" process for halter breaking.

In addition. prior to reading some of the posts, I understood that the process begins after weaning but most of the posts imply earlier the better.

Our calves are presently 6-7 months and being weaned & conditioned (grain/hay & monitored).

Comments on both?

Thanks!

Tie one end to a stout post or a tree and the other end to a strong tractor. Put the tractor in low gear and take off. It will work every time. ;-)

This works for me. I tie the calf up in the front end of my 20 ft. gooseneck trailer. Twice a day, I ease the calf to the back to get a drink of water and then back to the front of the trailer for feed/hay. I have an escape door that I can use to get in to clean up and put out feed/hay when the calf is at the other end drinking water. They stay tied with just enough rope to get up and down. About a week of this and they lead to water fairly easily. On calves with an attitude you can work from outside the trailer.

tie up during day. Lead to food and water. tie down at night. lead to food and water in morning tie up. After they get used to it. tie where they can choose up or down. if you get a nasty one tie her to the back of the tractor and drag her a little the easiest way is to start working with them as young as possible. I'l start at 3 daus and supplement with a bottle until they go on show ration. Turns them in to big puppy dogs that follow you around constantly.

GaryDG, you can also do a Google search on "halter breaking calves" and get some good info.

I'm sure earlier IS better, but I've done a couple that were well over 6 months old (dexters are not as big as other breeds). I'm not a big believer in tying them up initially and leaving them without supervision, nor would I (personally) do the tractor thing. What I do may not be the fastest way to train them, but it works for me. I think it's fun to train them, once I get going, and they don't forget. I am no professional or anything, I just figured out what works with ours, and each one is different in how they react.

It's less frustrating to have the animal in the headgate when you first put a halter on it (with or without a lead rope). Then I release them into a small enclosure and let them get all the silliness out on their own time. Once they've calmed down and gotten over the idea that there's something on their head that they can't get off (may be the next day or two), I clip the rope on (when their head's in the bucket). Again, prepare for possible silliness and boinking around, and don't hang onto the rope, just let them do their thing. You can't make much progress when they're upset, so let 'em go. When they've gotten over this insult (might be the next day) I pick up the rope slowly and offer some grain in a bucket. Slowly move the bucket a few feet while you're holding the rope and soon you can gently tug on the rope as they follow the bucket. (Don't every wrap the rope around your hand.) Eventually I move them to a post or the hay ring where I can tie them (quick release knot, and make sure the thing you tie them to won't collapse or move) while they eat and gently get them used to being touched, then brushed. Before long they begin to like the brushing. I never leave them tied up unless I'm there cause I worry they'll get hurt. Also, you have to check the halter every week or so to be certain it's not too tight (sometimes back in the headgate to do this).

Some take to leading quickly, others take more time...I had one pout for a week after I put the halter on her, she wouldn't come near me, but I worked with her after she got over her grudge. We took her to a fair this summer, led her onto the trailer (with donkeys already in it!), off the trailer through the show tent to her pen and into her stall and then everything in reverse to come home. Never took a false step, good little cow.

Sorry this is so long...next time I do one maybe I can get photos of the steps, that would be fun to do.

I NEVER tie an animal up immediately. Too much can go wrong.
I fit a rope halter with a long lead and let them drag it for a few days to get used to the tension and when to stop. While this is going on I might bring them in once a day and brush them in the crush, and tie their head up there.
After a few days of dragging the lead they get their first tie up... not high, but not low enough that they can do somersaults. usually just below where their head is when they are relaxed.First tie up I usually leave them for about half an hour to fight, then the next day, an hour, and the same the day after. Depending on the animal, 2-3 days is usually enough.
After this they get a hackamore put on, and continue to be tied up, with me starting to brush them in their pens while tied.
Initially I never leave the animals alone while they are tied up, and always make sure there is a knife handy.
When the animals are quiet and used to you, you're ready to begin breaking them to lead. Because of our shed set up, I start off walking them from one pen to another, across the centre aisle, as I can put gates either side and they are contained. From here, I move out to a slightly larger holding pen at the entrance to our shed. After this, depending on how well-behaved the animal is, we might take them for a walk tied to the back of the ute, with one person walking beside the animal. You have to be so careful when doing this... DON'T drag them, let them think about it. If you try to drag an animal, you can do permanent damage to their spine and legs, not to mention psychological stuff that's hard to fix.

As for age, 6 months is a good age because they're small, I usually start when they're about 9-12 months. I've broken in bulls at 18 to 24 months using the above method and it hasn't failed yet.

Good luck!

Be EXTREMELY careful dragging a calf behind a truck, tractor or anything. At work they would do that and had one bull calf tear the heck out of its feet. Almost ripped the dew claw right off. Boss said you never want to drag them without someone behind them with a hotshot ready (I dont agree with how much they seem to depend on hotshots there, but I dont own the place so I cant really say much).

Exactly my point... you DON'T drag them. Let them think. If I'm having a hard time with one I'll get someone to walk behind with a show cane... but either way, you have to take them steady.

1. Put in small pen for few hours a day and get it use to you

2. Get them gentled down and trusting you by feeding and rubbing on them

3. Put halter on and let them drag it for a few days

4, Tie up for an hour or two right before feed time. Brush on them to gentle down.

5. Untie and lead them over to the feed,

6. Continue with number 5 for few days. Then start moving feed or water and leading them to it. Let them eat it a little and then have someone move it away and lead them over to it to eat again.

7. Just continue after this with tying up for few hours and brushing on them and they should be halter broke. If showing some problems just spend more time working with them on number 6.

I wont post my methods as you have already got excellent advice from others. My two cents would be to take it slow and be prepared to adjust. Every animal is different and need slightly different methods than others. 99% of the time with quiet gentle handling they will walk just fine. Very rarely do I ever have to tow one on the tractor, I think I've done one out of the last 200 or so. I doubt you will need it but if you must make sure you have help from someone who has done it before. you must be very careful, as others have pointed out, there are a multitude of things that can go wrong.

Couple of rules:

1. Use 'pull and release' method
2. Never leave them tied alone in the early stages
3. Always use a ring halter or hackamore.

If you have a really difficult one, consider hitching it to a donkey.

As for age, generally it is easier when they are smaller, as there is considerably less hard work to do. I usually do mine anywhere from 8 - 15 months. I like to leave them alone as much as possible when on mum, so they have the best start, but of course I have broken them in while they are still suckling as well. Also, I recently broke in a 5y.o. cow. As long as you have the right methods you can break an animal of any age.