How to get recognized for registered bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

UG":q84yo8z5 said:
...and later I realized that the breeders who sold them at the consignment auction were trying to get premium prices for their junk. Later on I found that these breeders didn't have real good reputations in the breed...sure wish I would have done more homework before I went to this sale. It was a bit painful the first few years culling cows that I had paid good money for just a year or two before, but after a few years, we had a herd with minimal problems.

3. Do your homework when determining who to buy cattle from (see #2 above).

I got into the purebred business a couple of years ago and find this to be very true. I have a list started of breeders I will not buy from, regardless of what they are currently selling, based on their past culling practices at purebred sales.

Conagher":1g2159mz said:
UG":1g2159mz said:
...and later I realized that the breeders who sold them at the consignment auction were trying to get premium prices for their junk. Later on I found that these breeders didn't have real good reputations in the breed...sure wish I would have done more homework before I went to this sale. It was a bit painful the first few years culling cows that I had paid good money for just a year or two before, but after a few years, we had a herd with minimal problems.

I got into the purebred business a couple of years ago and find this to be very true. I have a list started of breeders I will not buy from, regardless of what they are currently selling, based on their past culling practices at purebred sales.
-
"Beware of Strangers Bearing Gifts!" It is MY responsibility to KNOW my business, and to KNOW what I spend my money for, and WHY! It is folly to blindly dive into a business headfirst - and not KNOW what you are doing!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":21pc0wbn said:
Conagher":21pc0wbn said:
UG":21pc0wbn said:

-
"Beware of Strangers Bearing Gifts!" It is MY responsibility to KNOW my business, and to KNOW what I spend my money for, and WHY! It is folly to blindly dive into a business headfirst - and not KNOW what you are doing!

DOC HARRIS

To know implies knowledge, which is acheived through various avenues; including experience - both good and bad. Much knowledge has been gained through failure - from space shuttles to post-it notes. Is it a folly to enter the water before you know how to swim?

Conagher":1ws8ppqx said:
DOC HARRIS":1ws8ppqx said:
Conagher":1ws8ppqx said:
UG":1ws8ppqx said:

-

DOC HARRIS

To know implies knowledge, which is acheived through various avenues; including experience - both good and bad. Much knowledge has been gained through failure - from space shuttles to post-it notes. Is it a folly to enter the water before you know how to swim?
Very good point Conagher. Applies to many things. I usually know what I know, but what I don't know I don't even know that I don't know it.
If Iwaited until I knew that I knew everything, I would never do anything.

-Conagher and Ryder-

Your posts are very philosophical. In regard to Conagher's query "Is it a folly to enter the water before you know how to swim?" my answer is, "Of course NOT! But the operative approach is to get your feet wet and LEARN how to swim - BEFORE you dive into the ocean head first! I think that the prime subject of the discussion revolves around Reason, Logic, and Rationalism. Anything less is specious, and borders on sophistry.

Concerning with Learning - Education is the KEY to living. One must not wait until they know that they don't know. If they don't know, they already know that they don't know everything. You are right, Ryder, but beginning to learn that you don't know everything IS the beginning of REAL education, and is the Art and Science of beef production - particularly the Registered BU$INE$$.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2c235o0n said:
-Conagher and Ryder-

Your posts are very philosophical. In regard to Conagher's query "Is it a folly to enter the water before you know how to swim?" my answer is, "Of course NOT! But the operative approach is to get your feet wet and LEARN how to swim - BEFORE you dive into the ocean head first! I think that the prime subject of the discussion revolves around Reason, Logic, and Rationalism. Anything less is specious, and borders on sophistry.

Concerning with Learning - Education is the KEY to living. One must not wait until they know that they don't know. If they don't know, they already know that they don't know everything. You are right, Ryder, but beginning to learn that you don't know everything IS the beginning of REAL education, and is the Art and Science of beef production - particularly the Registered BU$INE$$.

DOC HARRIS

DOC,

You painted a wide stroke with your initial comment; I responded in kind. I did not interpret UG's posting as "dive into the ocean head first", but rather lessons learned with an acknowledgment of more learning needed. I echo'ed this observation. However, I do not believe this is an indication that either of us do "not KNOW what you are doing". I actually concur with your basic philosophy, but do not believe any amount of learning results in absolute perfect judgement.

Have a nice day. :cboy:

Conagher-

Just to put this "spark" to a dry cinder before it flames up into a forest fire - I was responding, originally, to UG's post - not yours. I am presuming that we both understand the underlying basics of the discussion here.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":1q5e4rwj said:
Conagher-

Just to put this "spark" to a dry cinder before it flames up into a forest fire - I was responding, originally, to UG's post - not yours. I am presuming that we both understand the underlying basics of the discussion here.

DOC HARRIS

Doc,

No flaming intended; and please allow me to publicly apologize if that is how it was interpreted. I have nothing but admiration and respect for your knowledge and experience based on your past comments, recommendations and suggestions on this board. Agreed; the underlying basics are comprehended.

Best Regards,
Conagher

If I could go back in time and start over again in the registered business, I would collect and record every piece of data possible on my progeny, cut all the bulls, and send every one of them for about the first 5-10 years to a feedlot, sell them on the grid and collect that carcass data.

i believe if you want to do things right you should first investigate whiever breed you want. in the brangus we have found these certain say 10 cow families that have the Dominant reproducers and try to buy animals that are.. or come from proven cows that you have seen calves off of . the embryo deal does work if you have those proven cows to flush with. but i wouldnt flush some just average cow. buying embryos can be good. but you should make sure you buy embryos from the most consistent cows because some cows will only have 1 or 2 top calves out of a flush. and if you want to raise out bulls.. always remember even if you have to lose 2500 dollars on a bull do whatever the customer wants. because you only get one chance and if you impress him he'll come back with more friends. and if you upset him he'll tell his friends.

MikeC":zthmkgy3 said:
If I could go back in time and start over again in the registered business, I would collect and record every piece of data possible on my progeny, cut all the bulls, and send every one of them for about the first 5-10 years to a feedlot, sell them on the grid and collect that carcass data.

Mike does the Charolais association not have ultrasound included in their epds if a breeder desires to ultrasound his animals??

TSR":3jz0o895 said:
MikeC":3jz0o895 said:

Mike does the Charolais association not have ultrasound included in their epds if a breeder desires to ultrasound his animals??

Yes, they do now, just started about 4-5 years ago.

Latest posts