How to get a "chronic" calf to reasonable slaughter weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

raykour

Reaction score
I have a "chronic" 430 lb. heifer. She is on a 600 lb. frame so she is obviously underweight. She is bright and eats well. She has a chronic (dry) cough. She does not run a fever.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get her to a reasonable slaughter weight? She is currently out on pasture, where she seems happiest. I have expected to find her hooves to the sky, but thus far have not.

Should I just unload her or try to get her to a 600-800 lb. weight? Will feeding her concentrates help?

In our situation, the price of feed and such. We butcher that type of calf ourself and make it into roasts and hamburger. Cut my losses when I can. Sending to the processor and having it all ground into hamburger one time was expensive for the cost of deboning so do it myself. Not that we have poor genetics, but from time to time I have a jersey that I don't think is worth the cost and it is a fun family event butchering our own calf or hog. I assume she has been wormed has fresh water available and isn't wearing off the meat fighting flies.

This calf (who is a red baldy) has been given 2 cycles of Nuflor and been back poured with ivermectin and also with insect repellant. She is close to 7 months old and should be weighing in around 600 lbs.

I guess I will see how she looks here in a week when I run all my cows through to preg check. Going to sort off a butcher steer then as well. So maybe I will put her up in the pen with him and let her have some grain feed for a few weeks and see how she is doing. Also ask the vet about giving her a shot of dex? It might help in the short term and she can put on some pounds?

It is $40 to butcher her plus .65/lb around here. I'd have to do the math to see how much it would cost me.

Thanks for your replies I appreciate it.

You could butcher her and have her gorund then donate the meat to a foodbank of some sorts. That way you can at least write it off your taxes.

Latest posts