how to calm down a hyper steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't know about all farms but it appears that SCFarms openly admits to being crooked. Always bragging about the next angle they can use or have used to gain an unfair advantage.

Just in case you haven't figured it out by now Stephen. It doesn't matter what the other folks are doing? What matters it what you are doing? If you win a show, but you are cheating to win, then what have you won. What do you prove by cheating to win? Not that your cattle are good, just that you are a cheater.

If you are showing your cattle, and if they are good, they will get noticed whether they win or not. Most of the folks there are honest people with integrity. It is the minority that are crooks. Crooked, unethical, dishonest actions will almost always hurt the person, organization, etc.... in the end. Most importantly it hurts the person who is doing it. Life is not about what you win, make, or have. Life is about what you do for others, the example you set, your integrity, about doing the right thing, even when it is difficult to do.

I sincerely hope that most of your posts are just BS and you do not actually believe or act in such a dishonest and unethical manner. If you do, rest assured that this will come to haunt you one day. Hope you can live with yourself.

Have a nice day. Hope I've misunderstood you.

Maybe some people are fooled at shows but the breeders that pay attention know who are showing good stock and they know the counterfits. Those heifer calves slobbering like they are rabied with sleepy eyes and droopy ears don't go unnoticed. Those two year old bulls that couldn't walk or wouldn't walk the day before the show that now come charging into the ring like they are going to whip everybody don't go unnoticed. The overly thick bull with testicles 1/4 the size of his stall mates don't go unnoticed. Kids that have a predisposition to cheating will go unnoticed. They are as common as a cow track. There is no future in the industry for them. It isn't too late to change Stephen. Learn what seperates good stock from the common and good people from the common.

SF":3abgej8h said:
Don't know about all farms but it appears that SCFarms openly admits to being crooked. Always bragging about the next angle they can use or have used to gain an unfair advantage.

Just in case you haven't figured it out by now Stephen. It doesn't matter what the other folks are doing? What matters it what you are doing? If you win a show, but you are cheating to win, then what have you won. What do you prove by cheating to win? Not that your cattle are good, just that you are a cheater.

If you are showing your cattle, and if they are good, they will get noticed whether they win or not. Most of the folks there are honest people with integrity. It is the minority that are crooks. Crooked, unethical, dishonest actions will almost always hurt the person, organization, etc.... in the end. Most importantly it hurts the person who is doing it. Life is not about what you win, make, or have. Life is about what you do for others, the example you set, your integrity, about doing the right thing, even when it is difficult to do.

I sincerely hope that most of your posts are just BS and you do not actually believe or act in such a dishonest and unethical manner. If you do, rest assured that this will come to haunt you one day. Hope you can live with yourself.

My calves are gentle I dont have to use stuff like that. I am a little old and can tell from a nut case to getnle calves. I never in my 9 years of showing cattle had to use a drug to calm them down. Plus I dont cheat and dont need to cheat cause my calves are good enough to win fair in square. I was just suggesting it because I know people who drug there calves up just to break them. I have never druged my calves and any time you want you can come down take blood whatever you want to test them.

SCfarms":33lzgl8u said:
SF":33lzgl8u said:

My calves are gentle I dont have to use stuff like that. I am a little old and can tell from a nut case to getnle calves. I never in my 9 years of showing cattle had to use a drug to calm them down. Plus I dont cheat and dont need to cheat cause my calves are good enough to win fair in square. I was just suggesting it because I know people who drug there calves up just to break them. I have never druged my calves and any time you want you can come down take blood whatever you want to test them.

Good, I'm glad you don't do those things. Since you don't do them, why not stop advocating them to others. The show ring and the world in general would be much better off if people would simply do the right thing. Why would I need or want to come and take blood tests from your cattle? If you say you don't, then that is good enough for me.

Good luck and have a nice day

Just say if anyone of think that my cattle are druged any day of the week fill free to come get a blood samply are any of sample.

I just wouldn't want an animal that was going to go crazy being attached to my name. Alot of people that show take it pretty seriously and they will sure as H@!! give you a bad name in a matter of weeks. In my oppinion you will lose money in the long run. Thanks Matthew Kane

SCfarms":1vbrr2is said:
SF":1vbrr2is said:

Prior posts within this thread

SCfarms":1vbrr2is said:
At some of the show heifer sales the ranch manager drugs them up because of all the people and noise. Calf Calm its a waste of money it does not work that good. I have no clue how to spell the name I know it start with a M. That stuff works I can get the name exactly if you want it. Thats what most of the big ranches use. I tryed it a time are to and it works.

I went back and re-read this thread. Guess I missed this earlier. Which is it Stephen. Do you use tranquilizers, drugs, or not?

This is the credibility problem that has been referenced towards some of your posts Stephen. Make up your mind. Do you drug your calves or not? You seem to contradict yourself on a regular basis. Really too bad. I think you are a young person that could have great potential.

The nut case calf we bought when I was younger we gave her to a guy and he used drugs on her just to break her. Not for any other reason. Like I said my farm is open to anyone who wants to take a blood sample from any of my show calves. I know of people who use it and it worked.

put him in the freezer. that'll calm him and get him used to people REAL quick.

Beefy":1brqacki said:
put him in the freezer. that'll calm him and get him used to people REAL quick.

Try that it should help. Are maybe just ask ollie he seems to know alot about breaking show calves.

I don't agree in giving ANY cow drugs to calm them down in the initial breaking in progress because any memories aren't retained because they were bloody stoned the entire time. I do agree though with using something like Ace if your steer is particularly edgy and you need to clip.

I have had alot of experience with steers and had to break in a wide range of them.

People will suggest taking away feed etc but you just need time and patience. you can't just click your fingers and make your steer love you and be as quiet as a sack of potatoes. Jesus I wish they were but thats just not how it works.

Get your steer in a decent sized yard. having him in the yards especially if its near the farm action means 1. hes exposed to people and sounds 2. you can actually concentrate on individual show feeding.

Just by being around noise will calm him down a little. Next get in the yard. Be aware of where you are and try and read your steers body language. get a show cane or a piece of poly pipe too not just for safety but also its an extended arm. which is conveniant. walk around, dont chase your steer so he gets used to you moving around him. when he calms down a little rub the cane/pipe over him. I've found that normally they like having their bums scratched but some like shoulders etc. this will help u learn your animals 'good spot' so if he has a balistic attack later it will help calm him down.

all this takes a bit of time. after you feel he's used to you go about how ever you train your cattle. Another good idea is to bag them later on. tie them up, get a broom and tie a grain bag over the end. make noises, rub it all over them. They will have a sad, jump kick but give it 10-20 mins and they will stand still as you flap it around the feet.

hope this helps good luch

id ace him with about 3 cc/ml and that will make him calm down i had a wild hefier i wanted to show but she keeped draging me so i tryed aceing her and it worked now she is leading fine it dont make them mean some people say's it will but so fare i can do any thing with her and the ace you can get from your local vet and it lasts 24 hours.
Thats all i no to do to a wild steer or cow.

The Show Maker":1c3gwm9v said:
id ace him with about 3 cc/ml and that will make him calm down i had a wild hefier i wanted to show but she keeped draging me so i tryed aceing her and it worked now she is leading fine it dont make them mean some people say's it will but so fare i can do any thing with her and the ace you can get from your local vet and it lasts 24 hours.
Thats all i no to do to a wild steer or cow.
What grade are you in Showmaker?

I am breaking a 10 month old heifer when I tie her up does not pull are nothing, I can brush her anything. When it is time to walk her she drug me around the corral for 5 min. straight bending doors. Man was I ever tired but I held on. She has done this for 4 days staright. Then after dragging me she does not walk at all.

lol.

do you normally wait until they are 10 months to start working with them? not trying to be a smart ass, am really asking since i dont know about show cattle. it seems like it would be better to work with them as calves, or even at weaning than to try to train them that old.

Beefy - it's definately easier to start with them when they are young, but I have halter broken many yearlings & some cows. It's really not a lot harder - as long as you keep them in a VERY small area & don't go too fast with the training. They have to trust you.
What I know of Ace - if you give 3 cc to even a yearling, I think they would be down for the count the rest of the day - sleeping!!!
We got a partial bottle of Ace years ago from our Vet. Have used it a few times to take the edge off nervous yearling hfrs - but decided we'd rather have them a little jumpy/dancing, rather than have them dopey. But 1/4 to 1/2 was all we needed.
Come to think of it, our bottle probably isn't any good. Can't remember when we used it last, but I guess if you use 3cc at a time, you'd finish a bottle :shock:

I dont wean my calves tile about 7 or 8 months if the got lots of milk and creep feed them. I never got around to breaking her because of other stuff going on. I broke one last year 11 months old around this time. Most of the time I start about 7 8 months to break them. Once I wean them they drag a halter for a week the start working with them.

well ive always broken my cattle in at about 15-18mths. I tried my poddy but he was too sooky and just too imature to take on what i was trying to teach him. I have no problems at 18mths either.

Latest posts