How to broadcast superfine seed

Help Support CattleToday:

Ruark

Reaction score
I'm putting out some B. Dahl seed later this spring. Apparently it's a superfine seed, almost like dust. I think it's something like 900,000 seeds per pound. It doesn't take much either: only 1.5 to 2 pounds per acre. What kind of seed broadcaster would you use for this? The spreaders at TSC have a sticker on them showing rates for different seeds at different speeds, but it just goes down to about 25 pounds per acre. I'm wondering if I should just use the hand-held, hand-cranked seeder I have in the garage. Thing is, it doesn't have any kind of calibration capability. This seed is expensive; I want to do it right, and not waste it.

LRTX1":ehbxx5rc said:
I have heard mixing smaller seed with sand works well. Never tried it myself.
Yup it works, especially with timothy seed.

So how do you calibrate it when the seed calls for, say, 1.5 lbs. per acre?

Ruark":sjor6e5d said:
So how do you calibrate it when the seed calls for, say, 1.5 lbs. per acre?
Find the setting for the smallest seed and add enough coarse sand by volume to make whatever the amount per acre that is when seed and sand is combined.

The only trouble with this adding sand is that the sand will throw farther than the Bluestem. So you must account for this and even wind direction and how much wind. Might be a big deal the first year but if you let it go to seed then it will will give good coverage the second year on it's own.
An old E-Zee flow drop seeder is the best if you can find one. I used an old New Idea which is exactly the same. I think a lot of manufactures made the same one or maybe bought them and just put their name on. They need to have picker wheels to bring the seed down to the opening and keep it separated.
Call your local NRCS office. They usually know who has the equipment for this. You may even be able to rent it. Some of the tractor dealers rent seeders that will handle chaffy seed.
Turner seed has the chaff removed and will work in any normal broadcaster. Same setting as Bermuda.

I bought a seeder for putting out small seed . When I go to the farm I'll get the name . It was expensive but you can put out white clover and hulled Bermuda seed at about 3 pounds per acre . With out mixing it with sand .

I have 20 lbs of B Dahl that I'm about to broadcast. With my limited resources I'm using a hand broadcaster and will be sitting on the back of an ATV. Glad it's only 10 acres! Picture below of the seed so you can get an idea of the size.

b-dahl001.jpg

slick4591":1kh5g7we said:
I have 20 lbs of B Dahl that I'm about to broadcast. With my limited resources I'm using a hand broadcaster and will be sitting on the back of an ATV. Glad it's only 10 acres! Picture below of the seed so you can get an idea of the size.

b-dahl001.jpg
The chaff on this seed has been removed. Most any broadcast seeder will work.
With the chaff you must have picker wheels or agitators.
http://reveg-catalog.tamu.edu/09-Seeding.htm A Truax is shown.
http://www.seedsource.com/catalog/detai ... ct_id=7060
http://www.grasslander.com/node/52

This is the only solution I have found. Teff is the smallest seed, number of seeds per pound is approximately 1.3 million, that I have ever sown but it worked fine.
The brand of the seeder is Herd. I modified it with the micrometer so that I could reset the seeder to a previous setting that I was satisfied with. I use this seeder often.
IMG01058.jpg

agman,
It looks like you leave the gate open at your desired setting and use the electric for on/off? Do you get much piling up on the spinner before you get rolling?

I have only had my Herd seeder a short while, but I am very pleased so far.

MarkM

I do use the lever to control the gate. I just set the lever against the end of the micrometer to accentuate the end of the modified micrometer as being an adjustable stop that can be read. I tried the suggested drill bit setting method but with extremely small seed I could not get the control I desired. The modification works.

Latest posts