How Times have Changed

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
The Mrs and I were watching Hee Haw on RFD good clean TV.
On top of that they sang there is Power in the blood.
That kind of tv wouldn't be allowed today.

I had to spend last night in a motel. Just a bunch of crap on TV. I called the front desk and ask how to a good channel. Old westerns I said; like Bat Masterson or Gun Smoke. She never heard of such. So I say like the Rifleman or Bonanza. No not that either. How bout Beverly Hillbillies or Andy Griffith. She heard of them but couldn't tell me how to find them. I ended up watching something called Gold Rush and then Kentucky Justice. What a mess

Television mirrors what our society values--------sex, greed, etc. immoral behavior is glorified in every way possible. It even brings the family down further by killing the conversation.

Last time I watched cable, I watched some guy in the North West forest claiming he lives off the land only. Guy catches a few crabs and takes them to a friends house. Since apparently it would go against the spirit of the show, instead of boiling the dang things in a pot- inside or out, he built a fire and boiled them in a galvanized stock tank. :roll: Maybe I'm incorrect, but I always thought burning galvanized metal released some fairly unfriendly chemicals? I kept thinking how far they were working to make something out of nothing. I'd like to have that 30 minutes back.

I was over at my older sister's today. They are in their 70s and just this week got dish tv for the first time ever to have cable type tv. It was a shock for them to hear and see what is on tv outside of the 3 major networks. I had to show her where to good channels were--a plus for me--I'm going over tomorrow to watch the American on RFD.

I have Directv, Bat Masterson comes on at 5, Gunsmoke at 6, channel 538.

Larry

Bigfoot":2fiarcs8 said:
Television mirrors what our society values--------sex, greed, etc. immoral behavior is glorified in every way possible. It even brings the family down further by killing the conversation.

I suppose you are right; that is, however, very frightening. I sometimes look at all the garbage on tv and wonder why they put it on, but I assume it wouldn't be on if it weren't getting ratings. It's not only the garbage language and visuals, but the garbage plots. Nothing really draws me in anymore. The new Hawaii 5-0 isn't worth 10 cents compared to the old one.

I saw a new series called "Dracula" advertised a while back. I'm not into that kind of thing really, but I was idiot enough to imagine the old Dracula from the b&w movie days. I thought it might be worth checking out. What was I thinking? That was the biggest piece of garbage I have ever seen, and nothing like I had imagined.

I still can't figure out what happened to variety on network tv. I also wonder what audiences they shoot for anymore. I remember the Six Million Dollar Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Dukes of Hazzard from years past. Where are those types of shows anymore. Is society too advanced( :???: ) to enjoy anything like that now?

Bigfoot":3ldpjvui said:
Richardin52":3ldpjvui said:
W got rid of the TV when it went digital and we could not use our antenna. Don't miss it at all. We just use the internet now

I know some will think I'm crazy but I'm 50 years old and never had a TV in my life AND NEVER WILL HAVE ONE !!!!! My grandpa always said they are 21" sewer pipes coming in the home people always says there is some good shows on them but grandpa always said " well you can dig in the trash at Mcdonalds long enough and find a good hamburger sometimes to , but was it worth it " I don't think so. My son is 25 and will be getting married in 2 months and I have NEVER had one problem from him never been called to come pick him up or get him out of jail but he was tought our values and not put in front of a tv to be baby setted by hollywood. It drives me crazy to go to my inlaws house and see everyone get their plate of food then go stick there head in a tv to eat ,what happet to good family time around the table. Call me old thats ok but as for me and my family we wont have one
and if anyone would like to know no my son and his new wife will not have one either.

BRYANT":3ox9w8dl said:
Bigfoot":3ox9w8dl said:
Richardin52":3ox9w8dl said:
W got rid of the TV when it went digital and we could not use our antenna. Don't miss it at all. We just use the internet now

I know some will think I'm crazy but I'm 50 years old and never had a TV in my life AND NEVER WILL HAVE ONE !!!!! My grandpa always said they are 21" sewer pipes coming in the home people always says there is some good shows on them but grandpa always said " well you can dig in the trash at Mcdonalds long enough and find a good hamburger sometimes to , but was it worth it " I don't think so. My son is 25 and will be getting married in 2 months and I have NEVER had one problem from him never been called to come pick him up or get him out of jail but he was tought our values and not put in front of a tv to be baby setted by hollywood. It drives me crazy to go to my inlaws house and see everyone get their plate of food then go stick there head in a tv to eat ,what happet to good family time around the table. Call me old thats ok but as for me and my family we wont have one
and if anyone would like to know no my son and his new wife will not have one either.

You sound a lot like my father. He has a tv, but he rarely watches it aside from the news, and neither of my grandparents had a tv.

I can't argue with your stance one bit, so don't misinterpret what I'm asking, but I feel like a tv helps me keep in touch, or up to date with the world a little bit. I know there are all kinds of arguments about news being biased and nothing being real, but I can't imagine keeping up with things in a newspaper only. Do you feel like keeping in touch is no big deal. I consider entertainment to be a part of my culture as well. One day when we are all in a pine box, I'm sure it won't matter whether anyone has seen The Andy Griffith Show, Gunsmoke, The Grand Ole Opry, The Wizard of Oz, or various historical moments caught on film, but I feel like I'm able to keep up a bit more with a tv.

I remember that I always thought my grandparents seemed a bit out of touch with reality. I remember that Ronald Reagan had been president for a while, and apparently my grandmother heard his voice on the radio and commented that he sounded different than she had imagined. I thought it weird that hearing the president's voice for the first time was a source of conversation in the 1980s.

Perhaps this out of touch thing doesn't matter anyway. As I said, I can't argue with your stance one bit,

I am definatly out of touch. I actually learned about the situation in the Ukrain here. I know it isn't right, but I gave up on national and world events. I'll never be able to change anything. I would rather help somebody, and let the world do what it's going to do.

herofan":1rse85w1 said:
but I feel like a tv helps me keep in touch, or up to date with the world a little bit. I know there are all kinds of arguments about news being biased and nothing being real, but I can't imagine keeping up with things in a newspaper only.

I keep in touch, get up early every day first thing I do is check the news , on the internet, I can go to Drudge and read many news updates I try to look at both the conservative side and the liberal side then decide for myself. I dont have much use for the left wing junk that comes from Hollywood but will still hear it out ,I vote in all the main elections and have from the time I was old enought to, not just the President elections. I can talk with you about all the things of importants from city,state, and federal, but I am proud to say I can't tell you who killed who or who is sleeping with someone elses wife or which moviestar just came out of the closet and to be quite honest I can care less about that trash.

Caustic,
The RFD channel has some really good shows and I always enjoy seeing Hee Haw. A couple of others that I enjoy are Larry's Country Diner and the Lookin Back shows with Bill Anderson that have good music from country singers, past and present. Those shows come on back to back on Saturday night, but also other times during the week. I was disappointed that the Inspirational Channel is no longer available on DirecTV, they have some good shows. I hardly ever watch network TV, but watch Hallmark, Fox News, and then search for family shows.

I spend a lot of time indoors , to hot or to cold my body can't regulate .
hallmark ,cooking channel ,Charles Stanley ,news once a day[after that it's the same ]
Chicago fire ,detective show .
some shows make me really question what's going on in the writers minds
have I mentioned how much I like ct

Caustic Burno":vvdpz4x8 said:
The Mrs and I were watching Hee Haw on RFD good clean TV.
On top of that they sang there is Power in the blood.
That kind of tv wouldn't be allowed today.

I love that RFD Channel.. Larry's Country Diner followed by Hee Haw. Can't have a better Sunday night.

BRYANT":3eec4lnw said:
herofan":3eec4lnw said:
but I feel like a tv helps me keep in touch, or up to date with the world a little bit. I know there are all kinds of arguments about news being biased and nothing being real, but I can't imagine keeping up with things in a newspaper only.

I keep in touch, get up early every day first thing I do is check the news , on the internet, I can go to Drudge and read many news updates I try to look at both the conservative side and the liberal side then decide for myself. I dont have much use for the left wing junk that comes from Hollywood but will still hear it out ,I vote in all the main elections and have from the time I was old enought to, not just the President elections. I can talk with you about all the things of importants from city,state, and federal, but I am proud to say I can't tell you who killed who or who is sleeping with someone elses wife or which moviestar just came out of the closet and to be quite honest I can care less about that trash.

I didn't think of the internet. I guess I assumed if you didn't have a tv, you didn't have a computer either. My mistake. Do you ever watch videos on the computer?

By the way, what sites do you use to keep up with the news?

If you have a high speed hookup look at getting Netflix, Hulu and other stuff thats pretty cheap and you can choose what you want to see. I dumped Direct TV after 15 years...Paying about $15 dollars now....with a lot more to choose from. The lack of live sporting events is about the only drawback

Latest posts