how soon to treat?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
How soon will you apply antibiotic for snotty nose?

1. when you see clear snot?
2. as soon as opaque (white or green) snot appears though it hasn't affected disposition?
3. once the animal begins to look distressed?
4. never, let them work through it or die

#3, sort of. When the animal starts acting differently then it normally does.

angus9259":1oqnu8q5 said:

2. as soon as opaque (white or green) snot appears though it hasn't affected disposition?

We've been dealing with that this fall with all of the moisture and drastic fluctuation in temperatures. 60 yesterday and 35 today with 20mph winds. Back into upper 50's by Sunday.

Brother and I normally feed an antibiotic with their feed (aereomycin) at the first sign of coughing, snotty nose, etc. We don't give additional antibiotic unless they don't eat or they act real lathargic. Think we have only had to pull 4 to give Nuflor to this fall out of about 130 total head. Snotty nose and acting normal, we just let them be. So, I guess the answer to your question is number 3.

I would say 3 or 2 plus another symptom . If we've been having trouble I will lean more towrd 2 . I will also employ the use of a thermometer .

Larry

larryshoat":3p9a1icw said:
If we've been having trouble I will lean more towrd 2 .

Larry
Very valid point. :nod: If I have one that is sick and another displays even a minor symptom (except the clear snot, I don't consider that a symptom), the 2nd calf is getting treated too.

Right now? This time of year? Number 2...ok, knowing me, Number 1

Alice

lol Alice.. when we first started with cattle, I was also "#1". Now I'm MUCH older, and it's harder to catch and treat stuff, so we're more at #3. I think keeping a really close eye on stuff is the key.. the longer you raise cattle, the more you'll learn to recognize the "uh oh.. better treat that calf" symptoms.

As long as the calf is eating and acting normal, I would keep just keep an eye on it. If either of these two things change, I'd treat it. Cattle are like people.. some will work through a virus or bacteria with little problem, other need medication.

TheBullLady":3koo1p5w said:
As long as the calf is eating and acting normal, I would keep just keep an eye on it. If either of these two things change, I'd treat it.
Benign neglect perfectly illustrated

angus9259":2wmcms8c said:

Although it is an indication to watch that animal, a snotty nose by itself is not an indication of being sick or that it the animal is developing pneumonia. I treated when any animal isolated, went off feed, "looked" sick, and/or was hunched-up while standing around. If you're talking about weaning calves, I would also strongly suggest that you give them a good once over in the morning and at night. The sooner you catch it, the less you will have to treat.

Latest posts