How smart are cows(bovines)??

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
I know this is a REALLY stupid question, but I have to ask.

I have the cows in a winter pasture that is temp fenced around a corn field (self fertilization) ;-) and the only access they have to a waterer is the poorest of the bunch we have. If it were to freeze up are cows smart enough to eat snow?

My observation of when a waterer has frozen in the past, they try to beat the heck out of it and beller til we get it working again. This has been quite a few years ago, (knock on wood) we have been having good luck since we tore out all Mirafonts.

Anyway, leads me to another question. If they are smart enough to eat snow, do they get enough "water" this way? We have an abundance of snow at this time.

I was also told at one time, that "eating" too much snow will lower their core body temps, leaving them susceptible to sickness.

Sorry, one more... also, if they are having to "forage" for snow in a sense, could this affect their weight? you know, by taking longer to quench their thirst, rather than a quick drink at the bubbler.

Isn't it amazing what one can worry and wonder about, given half a chance?

Off to the farm to check on this waterer. Hopefully all is well!

Thanks!

Michele

I think the eating of snow for moisture is a learned or a conditioned response. Since they don;t know that snow is fluffy frozen water one can understand them not eating it for the moisture. During the ice storm last year ours ate ice coated grass and didn;t seem to come up for water very often. Butin that case they were eating grass and getting moisture from it. Maybe they "learned". In the frozen desolate north land that isn;t fit for man or beast (Canada) there are folks that consider snow the normal winter water supply.

Our cows wouldn't know snow if it reared up and bit them.

I would think that eating snow for water is a learned behavior.

As to being smart, my cows are smart enough to find a broke fence faster than I am, smart enough to find an open gate before I do, and smart enough to tell me when they get hungry. They're also smart enough to know that yes, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, but that fence is there to protect them from it. Stay away from the fence....

Caustic Burno":25nrlv1y said:
Cows intelligence varies from dumb as a bucket of rocks to bordering on genius depending on what you are wanting them to do and what they can do.

well said :D

dun":3oxhwiz7 said:
I think the eating of snow for moisture is a learned or a conditioned response. Since they don;t know that snow is fluffy frozen water one can understand them not eating it for the moisture. During the ice storm last year ours ate ice coated grass and didn;t seem to come up for water very often. Butin that case they were eating grass and getting moisture from it. Maybe they "learned". In the frozen desolate north land that isn;t fit for man or beast (Canada) there are folks that consider snow the normal winter water supply.

I tend to agree with Dun on this. If you notice, very small calves (just a few days old) will start to taste everything. Just last night while I was putting out hay, I parked the tractor and cut it off so I could walk around and look everybody over real good. I watched a calf lick the bottom step of my tractor for several minutes, this calf is only 5 days old.

I think cows are continually learning about their environment through trial and error, and also learn from each other. Ok, the trial and error part, many animals can learn in this way, but to learn from each other represents the use of a whole different set of cognitive skills seen in higher forms of life, including man.
I am of the opinion that cattle are a whole lot smarter than we give them credit for.

But then again there are those "special" "challenged" cows that I'm just not sure about, some are just dumb, or maybe they are so smart they are just fooling me into thinking that they are dumb, so I'll keep giving them range cubes to try to train them to do what I want them to do, and have figured out that if they get trained the range cubes will stop......yea thats it, thats the ticket. :)

Trey

I have seen ours eat snow when there is warm (not forzen) water available. IMO anytime the animal uses his body reserve warming cold water that is just that many calories that isn't going to conditioning the cow.
We use tank heaters all winter long...can easily have a really big ice cube in the morning...and I hate chopping ice.
And thats my two bits worth, asked for or not....DMc

mitch2":5hvcigyy said:
This has been quite a few years ago, (knock on wood) we have been having good luck since we tore out all Mirafonts.

What trouble did you have with them? We rent a place that has two on it. They are about a year old and the float has already gone bad in each one. I put in a Ritchie a few months ago and from what I've seen I like it better.

cfpinz

dun":33q6xv52 said:

I have noticed the same (but different) situation, in the summer when we have several days of rain in a row. They must be getting enough "wet" with their grass, that they don't need a drink!

I think the "learned" by observation theory is accurate.

Michele

cfpinz":2qy8kxgo said:
mitch2":2qy8kxgo said:
This has been quite a few years ago, (knock on wood) we have been having good luck since we tore out all Mirafonts.

What trouble did you have with them? We rent a place that has two on it. They are about a year old and the float has already gone bad in each one. I put in a Ritchie a few months ago and from what I've seen I like it better.

cfpinz

Ritchie is an awesome waterer. We put the first one in about 3 years ago now. No problems.

Mirafonts.... bad floats, bad valves, bad probe heaters.... and always seemed to go bad at the worst times (winter) and then to get parts UFF DA!

Michele

mitch2":36zs4tvt said:
cfpinz":36zs4tvt said:
mitch2":36zs4tvt said:

cfpinz

Ritchie is an awesome waterer. We put the first one in about 3 years ago now. No problems.

Mirafonts.... bad floats, bad valves, bad probe heaters.... and always seemed to go bad at the worst times (winter) and then to get parts UFF DA!

Michele

Man oh man hate to hear about your trouble with the Mirafount, I choose Mirafount cuz that is what my brother has and hasn't had any trouble with them. Friend has the old Ritchies and he is not happy with them. I sure hope I don't have the trouble you mention....

My experience has been that if they are grazing in a pasture covered with snow they will probably get enough moisture from the snow therefore do not need an alternate water source..However if you are dry feeding them they most likely are not smart enough to eat the snow around them for their water consumption. Also remember that a fresh cow needs a lotof water to produce milk.Cows can go for a day or two without water and still survive I do not suggest this though unless an emergency.

I dont know if anyone posted this but when Skiing in Colorado I was talking to a lift operator who told me eating snow for hydration was a lost cause and would dehydrate you and wear you down. According to him the energy it takes to melt the snow (in your mouth) and the water volumne you consume dont make it worth it to use it as a realistic way to hydrate yourself.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department ... endocument
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In late fall and early winter, the problem is to provide water to animals that are out on range or swath grazing, is it okay for cows to consume snow as their only water source?
After a short adjustment period cows will consume adequate amounts of snow to meet water requirements. Eating snow it is a learned behavior rather than instinct, therefore an adjustment period is needed for the cows to learn how to eat snow. Generally, it takes 3 days for cows to adapt to eating snow.
Can cows get sick from eating snow?
Cows will not get sick from eating snow.
Cattle do well when snow is their only water source, as long as there is adequate snow present, and it is not hard or crusted over. It is important to monitor cow and snow condition on a daily or second day basis. A lack of water reduces feed intake, and cows can loose condition fairly rapidly when water is deficient. Studies in Canada have shown some cows have gone 50 to 60 days with snow as the sole water source without any adverse effects.

Will the intake of snow affect the birth weights of calves?
Snow intake during pregnancy will not have any noticeable affect on birth weight of calves. Proper nutrition, protein and energy levels, are important factors in affecting the birth weights of calves.

Can cows in early lactation obtain adequate amounts of water from consuming snow?
No. Cows in early lactation require a water source. Animals will not be able to consume adequate amounts of feed. Body condtion will be reduced and milk production impaired.

Will feed intake increase for cattle consuming snow?
Feed intake and weight gain do not change significantly when snow is the water source. Heat created during the digestion process is enough to melt the snow and warm it to body temperature. Normal feeding programs will keep the cow in good condition.

What are the advantages of cattle using snow instead of water?
Using snow as a water source can lengthen the grazing season on stockpiled pasture or swath grazing. Lower production costs (no water bowls, water lines, or power needed to heat water or pump water). Manure produced when animals are out on pasture or swath grazing is deposited in the field, and does not need to be hauled in the spring. Tractor and equipment costs are lower because the animals move to the feed rather than moving feed to the animals.

What are some disadvantages of cattle using snow instead of water?
Erratic weather, if snow hardens and crusts over due to drifting or rain, there is little time to provide an alternate source of water. Animals must be brought off the grazing area if water or snow is not available in adequate quantities.

Can they survive on snow???? Maybe. But your cows have two basic needs. Food and water. Provide it. In winter here we have to check it every day, but we made the choice to have cows so that is our responsibility.

Latest posts