How much weight loss in trailer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kenn-Tenn. Mark always groups cattle himself. Size, color, frame etc. Weaned cattle that are vaccinated etc get the value added pens. Usually .05-.07 cents higher. Cattle are weighed at arrival. As someone pointed out the buyers probably shrink and you just don't know it. I'm not advertising for them, but if you lay there sale report by any other it will be comparable on price. My cattle are loaded at home, spend less than 30 minutes on a trailer ride, and then are weighed. That's assuming there no line. I go early, before work. Usually no wait.

Things are very different down here. Not only do they weigh out as they run through the ring, but never have I seen and age, source, backgrounding information on any animals run through the ring. Only way to get a premium on weaned is groups that go to private order buyers. But groups through the ring only get premiums for being grouped on sex and size

yeapp..arcadia asks for yer name and where a want the check sent..thats it..if yer on file and they know ya they just verify the owner...then see ya...they wiegh in the ring also..

groups are better but ive sold at wauchula an arcaida and its the same drill..wauchula is closed now

Ask your local yard, if one sale a month they will sell groups of weaned calves with shots. Not necessarily a CPH sale. I think you will be surprised what the 50-60 pounds they gain in that month, and the extra .05-.07 per pound will do to your check. Most of you are already giving shots anyway. There not that much profit in a calf to begin with if you ask me. The extra $100 that I get per head really adds up on the total number that I sell.

i dont have enough to do it..i calf all yr instead of at season..shots are cheap enough insurance..i sell alot of private anyways

If several people sell on the same day every bodies cattle will be grouped together. I looked at most recent market report steers 9.25 higher hiefers 4.25 higher than calves of same weight. No wonder so many people on here are against weaning. The yards need to represent you guys cattle better. Get 8 or 10 of you to ask for a sale month for weaned calves with shots.

You guys in Florida need to check out the Northeast Texas Beef Improvement Organization and see if you can get something like that going in your area. It was started about 12 or 13 years ago by some progressive thinking sale barn owners, community leaders and county Extension agents in and around Hopkins County, TX. It benefits all sizes of operation from the guy who sells a couple of calves to someone who has a truckload. The calves are pre-weighed, co-mingled and sorted into uniform groups. They have grown and now get cattle from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana.

Here is a link that has more information. You can also watch their sale on the internet.

http://www.sslivestockauctions.com/netbio.asp

I spoke at length with several operators and several extension agents about the premiums paid for back grounding, age and source verification, etc. the consensus was just as you said bc, get a couple of operators on board, run almost identical programs to eachother, and put loads together of
Uniform groups. Problem with that is old timers, newbies and everyone and their brother calves year round in this state. Hard to get groups of like animals together that way, much less get people to run vacc programs, calve in a uniform group, and be able to market at the same time.
Calving year round I don't get. Never have. But that's another thread.
Point is gettin uniform groups together around here from different operations will never happen. Most still think that AI is voodoo science. Had an old timer tell me that just a couple days ago.

hooknline":2alaqiei said:
I spoke at length with several operators and several extension agents about the premiums paid for back grounding, age and source verification, etc. the consensus was just as you said bc, get a couple of operators on board, run almost identical programs to eachother, and put loads together of
Uniform groups. Problem with that is old timers, newbies and everyone and their brother calves year round in this state. Hard to get groups of like animals together that way, much less get people to run vacc programs, calve in a uniform group, and be able to market at the same time.
Calving year round I don't get. Never have. But that's another thread.
Point is gettin uniform groups together around here from different operations will never happen. Most still think that AI is voodoo science. Had an old timer tell me that just a couple days ago.

All those problems you mentioned are almost impossible to overcome. In my area we are losing a lot of the old timers, and land has shot up excluding the newbie. All that's left is people like me.

Almost impossible. But not completely. I'm working on getting my deal up to speed with another larger ranch and conforming to their operation to take advantage of their buyers and the premiums they get. They're one of the few that see things the same way as i do, which is almost 100% what ice learned here

Hook, I have at least 15 cows that give me a calf in less than 11 months. And another reason is 1 bull can cover 50-60 cows.
A.I. is to expensive for the commercial cattle man. You will never get your moneys worth from A.I. calves at the sale barn.
I run cows to make money, and the more calves I can sell a year the better my bottom line looks.

Bigfoot":35of83bl said:
Kenn-Tenn. Mark always groups cattle himself. Size, color, frame etc. Weaned cattle that are vaccinated etc get the value added pens. Usually .05-.07 cents higher. Cattle are weighed at arrival. As someone pointed out the buyers probably shrink and you just don't know it. I'm not advertising for them, but if you lay there sale report by any other it will be comparable on price. My cattle are loaded at home, spend less than 30 minutes on a trailer ride, and then are weighed. That's assuming there no line. I go early, before work. Usually no wait.
That is where I go most of the time. I am outside Morgantown, don't remember where you said you where?

highgrit":6276xeul said:
Hook, I have at least 15 cows that give me a calf in less than 11 months. And another reason is 1 bull can cover 50-60 cows.
A.I. is to expensive for the commercial cattle man. You will never get your moneys worth from A.I. calves at the sale barn.
I run cows to make money, and the more calves I can sell a year the better my bottom line looks.
There's a tipping point on a commercial herd where the # of head, and a few other factors, determine where it's worth it or not. For me it is so far. I can buy one 2500-5000 dollar bull, or I can buy the semen from any number if some of the best bulls in the world for 10-50 bucks. And not have to carry one all year, worry about keeping the fences bull tight,etc, etc. for me it makes a whole lot of sense. Doesn't matter if you can calve every 11 months, because it can still be done with AI.
Just my inexperienced .02.

come on over and do the ai thing for me and we can mrkt 10 of mine at the same time...i want reg beefmaster donor tho...i dont do it cuz it gives me alittle working capital evry few months instead of once a yr

not at 3.50lb plus cut/wrap fee.. i know diff subject..jus sayin..

since were goin there...jus spose you feel like yer cattle are better than mine when we all have em in the pens..say yers are towards the top of the scale and you feel mine are more towards the btm for whatever reason..lack of rain or whetever...how ya gonna handle that..for people that have done it how do ya guage the fairness...everyone takes thier lumps and goes home happy.. iknow yer gonna say find someone whos are equal but when theyre all standing together it always looks diff...

dieselbeef":9ihutxir said:

since were goin there...jus spose you feel like yer cattle are better than mine when we all have em in the pens..say yers are towards the top of the scale and you feel mine are more towards the btm for whatever reason..lack of rain or whetever...how ya gonna handle that..for people that have done it how do ya guage the fairness...everyone takes thier lumps and goes home happy.. iknow yer gonna say find someone whos are equal but when theyre all standing together it always looks diff...
We used to belong to a marketing group that would comingle a couple of hundred head more multiple producers. They would all be back grounded toghter then sorted into pot load groups based on type/quality/weight. It worked pretty good for a number of years until more of the producers wanted to start retaining ownership. We would get a half dozen bids from various feedlots for each load but there would always be a few bids with us retaining varying percentages of ownership. It was a majority rules deal. Some years we did better with the retained ownership and some years we did worse. I found that selling them even in smaller lots or even singles once we got as reputation for our calves that we did a lot better going it on our own. Also didn;t end up having to pay the backgrounder for his labor so that was a savings.

dieselbeef":15gp69m4 said:

Here for the small producer, such as myself, the calves are graded, weighed and placed in a pen with their equals.

fitz