how much to feed

Help Support CattleToday:

j4cattle

Reaction score
I am starting some calves/ yearlings some weigh 550# some 350# (different traps). my feed ration is 15% cottonseed hull pellets, 43% soy hull pellets, 42% corn gluten. i am feeding the 550# cattle 8# a day in a trap with no grass(71 hd, 15 acres). is this enough feed for the cattle to add weight until grass comes. need to weigh 800# june 20. any suggestions. my first load to start in the winter(bought them early Jan.) don't want to feed hay is there enough fiber in my ration?

j4cattle":1052jc20 said:
I am starting some calves/ yearlings some weigh 550# some 350# (different traps). my feed ration is 15% cottonseed hull pellets, 43% soy hull pellets, 42% corn gluten. i am feeding the 550# cattle 8# a day in a trap with no grass(71 hd, 15 acres). is this enough feed for the cattle to add weight until grass comes. need to weigh 800# june 20. any suggestions. my first load to start in the winter(bought them early Jan.) don't want to feed hay is there enough fiber in my ration?
They won't gain that much feeding at that rate. You'll get a pound a day gain probably but you need 3 lbs. per day to reach your goal on the larger steers. The ration has about 25% fiber. This will have to work since you're not going to feed hay. They should be fine.

dieselbeef":xluaw0ht said:
girl did 280 lbs on a show steer in 3 mos...he was in a small pen ..missed the wiegh in by 20 lbs tho

Not saying it can't be done but seriously doubt it being done on 5 lbs. feed per day.

TexasBred":1htbc79n said:
dieselbeef":1htbc79n said:
girl did 280 lbs on a show steer in 3 mos...he was in a small pen ..missed the wiegh in by 20 lbs tho

Not saying it can't be done but seriously doubt it being done on 5 lbs. feed per day.

More like 25 to 35 lb per day.
j4cattle, why don't you want to feed hay?

i have been told that a calf will not eat more than 3% of there body weight a day, and in the past i had some calves on a self feeder and they were eating about 14# a day weighed nearly 500#. hay cost 2 much money and they waste to much even in rings, i would rather put the fiber in a trough, and that is what every stocker operator in this part of the world is doing. thanks for the info.the cattle are weighing on the up side of 600# now. thanks for the info!!!

kenny thomas":2syinqlq said:
TexasBred":2syinqlq said:
dieselbeef":2syinqlq said:

More like 25 to 35 lb per day.
j4cattle, why don't you want to feed hay?

dont combine my 2 posts to make it something i didnt say

i said i feed 5lbs /hd /day

the girl doin the steer was doin quite a bit more im sure..idk how much

you guys are worse than news reporters... :bs:

j4cattle":3cxyariz said:
i have been told that a calf will not eat more than 3% of there body weight a day, and in the past i had some calves on a self feeder and they were eating about 14# a day weighed nearly 500#. hay cost 2 much money and they waste to much even in rings, i would rather put the fiber in a trough, and that is what every stocker operator in this part of the world is doing. thanks for the info.the cattle are weighing on the up side of 600# now. thanks for the info!!!

Sorry dieselbeef I see how it looks and that is not what I wanted to say. I wanted to say if they are going to really grow you need to feed them really well.
At 8# per day you are not giving the 550lb calves even 1/2 of the 3% you talk about. Do you not count the protein content of the hay? Hay is more than just fiber. If you want to put it in a trough mix the hay in your feed.

kenny thomas":33xbkqee said:
j4cattle":33xbkqee said:

Sorry dieselbeef I see how it looks and that is not what I wanted to say. I wanted to say if they are going to really grow you need to feed them really well.
At 8# per day you are not giving the 550lb calves even 1/2 of the 3% you talk about. Do you not count the protein content of the hay? Hay is more than just fiber. If you want to put it in a trough mix the hay in your feed.
not really set up for mixing hay. only have feed box and overhead bin. thanks for the help!!

j4cattle":q3jxtzh5 said:

That may be true in your area but you can get better and cheaper fiber from a bale of hay and/or grazing than from a feed bag. Most fiber in a typical "creep" type feed is pure junk...nothing but filler. They can lose weight with a belly full of the stuff. Cattle need long stem fiber...grazing and/or hay..But it's your $$$.

j4

Here's a link to a ration formulation spreadsheet I use and it has proven to be quite accurate. If you put your ingredient cost into the feed list page it will give you the projected cost of gain.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/software/

For a 600# steer 8#/day of your ration would only gain .32/day whereas 10# would get .89 adg and 11# would get you 1.16 adg.

What this spreadsheet has taught me is the more feed the lower the cost of gain and higher adg. One of the downsides to heavy feeding is getting them too fleshy and hurting their grass gain. If i were in this situation I would target their adg to something less than their expected adg on grass. If they are fed too heavy now they could "back up" when turned out on grass, while too limited feeding will run up their feeding cost of gain. It's a balancing act that depends on feed costs and the desired end weight/date.

My best guess would be to feed 10-11#/day until turnout.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Texas PaPaw":35qb1l0t said:
j4

Here's a link to a ration formulation spreadsheet I use and it has proven to be quite accurate. If you put your ingredient cost into the feed list page it will give you the projected cost of gain.

For a 600# steer 8#/day of your ration would only gain .32/day whereas 10# would get .89 adg and 11# would get you 1.16 adg.

What this spreadsheet has taught me is the more feed the lower the cost of gain and higher adg. One of the downsides to heavy feeding is getting them too fleshy and hurting their grass gain. If i were in this situation I would target their adg to something less than their expected adg on grass. If they are fed too heavy now they could "back up" when turned out on grass, while too limited feeding will run up their feeding cost of gain. It's a balancing act that depends on feed costs and the desired end weight/date.

Just my 2 cents worth.
i am still going to feed even after grass comes will i be able to cut that back or should i keep them about that i understand that the bigger they get the more i need. i just don't know for sure. thanks that's the info i was looking for.

Your gain is going to depend on the quality of the steer, quality of the grain mix since you said you would be feeding grain, and quality of any grazing and/or hay. All these will determine quanitity needed. You can play with numbers until the second coming but if the quality isn't there you're still just playing and make the numbers say whatever you want them to say. Look out the window and the calves will show you the real story.

j4cattle":24nqgq3j said:
Texas PaPaw":24nqgq3j said:
j4

Just my 2 cents worth.
i am still going to feed even after grass comes will i be able to cut that back or should i keep them about that i understand that the bigger they get the more i need. i just don't know for sure. thanks that's the info i was looking for.

For 5wt steers on summer grass I usually feed 5# (1%bw)of corn gluten/soy hulls and get 1.5-1.75# adg.

As soon as there is plenty of grass, I would take the cs hulls out of the mix as they will get enough fiber from the grass. The cgf/sh pellets will give them additional energy and protein.

A good visual indicator is the consistency of the manure. If it is stacking up they can use more protein, if it splatters protein/digestibility is high. Ideal consistency for gain is that of pancake batter. Not too runny but a small divot in the middle of the pie.

At today's feed prices, I wouldn't get too carried away with the supplement. Just give them enough to meet your weight target without getting them too fleshy. Better to come in a little light than to overfeed high-priced feed. Got the t-shirt for that one.

IMO on green grass, feeding 1% of bw should be a good place to start and adjust from there.

BTW-could you put your general location in your profile as this helps others with their responses.

Tex if you're getting that daily gain out of that little bit of feed you're beating 99% of the feedlots in the country. Better check those scales. 7:1 is typical...6:1 dam good...your ratio on hulls and gluten... I question.

Latest posts