How much longer?

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Picture_001.jpg

How much longer do you think before she calves?

her bag doesnt look quite ready yet. i'd give her 2 days. (maybe more). got a side view? i have a beefmaster heifer that looks like that but shes more like 5 days i think. havent seen any discharge yet though.

Here is a side view. She was AIed July 9th. So, I figure if you count back 3 months and add 10 day plus add 4 days because she is a heifer, then she should be due around the 23rd. I am a teacher and next week would not be a good time for her to calf. We have TAKS testing for all the Texas public school kids. A command performance for all students and teachers. I wouldn't be able to sneak away if she was in trouble.

Induce her, she would be due on the 20, because she is a heifer her term would likely be less not more.

Beefy":52iac6dm said:
her bag doesnt look quite ready yet. i'd give her 2 days. (maybe more). got a side view? i have a beefmaster heifer that looks like that but shes more like 5 days i think. havent seen any discharge yet though.

I agree with Beefy that her bag doesn't look ready yet. However, we have had 2 this year that had there calves and didn't appear to have a full bag. Milk has finished coming in several days after calving.
Good looking girl though.....
Best of luck..... Keep us posted.

Double R

that picture makes her look a lot further off to me. her bag is not full, or feverish looking and shes not as "paunchy" in the back end as i originally thought.

Glad to hear that. Hopefully, she will wait until next weekend to calve. However, she did have a clear watery/stringy discard this evening.

I can't tell from the pics. Have her bones spread yet, indentions on each side of her tail head?

If she was AI'd on July 9, she isn't due until April 29, (295 days), However, we just had one that was bred on July 1, calved on April 7, (281 days) and we have one that we are watching that was bred on July 12, due May 2, (295 days), that isn't going to go that long, she's already bagging good, the calf has already dropped and bones spread w/ discharge yesterday evening.

I wouldn't induce early, it all depends on the cow, some of Chance's have had calves from 272 days to all the way at 295 days.

Post pics when the baby gets here. Who was she AI'd to?

mom

TxSimbrahShower":1s9gexf7 said:
If she was AI'd on July 9, she isn't due until April 29, (295 days), However, we just had one that was bred on July 1, calved on April 7, (281 days) and we have one that we are watching that was bred on July 12, due May 2, (295 days), that isn't going to go that long, she's already bagging good, the calf has already dropped and bones spread w/ discharge yesterday evening.

I thought the average was 283 days? I have never heard 295 days.

capparelli":taz20525 said:
TxSimbrahShower":taz20525 said:

I thought the average was 283 days? I have never heard 295 days.

Brahman influenced cattle have a 295 day gestation. Simbrah heifer in question here.

European and Continental influenced cattle have a 283 day gestation.

But, either infuence can go from 270 to 295 days. Cows are just like women, some go shorter, some go longer. We had three Brangus heifer's, 1st-272 days, 2nd 278 days, 3rd-290 days.

Heifer's that are on feed will fool you sometime. They will spring heavy for a while before they calve. Their bag will fill earlier and the will dialate earlier.

mom

This heifers half sister calved yesterday with her second calf. The heifer in question was AIed 3 days later than the one listed above and was bred to the same bull. So, it will probably come on Wednesday or Thursday when my son is taking his exit exam for high school and can't leave because I am administering the test.

On a side note, her bag is very feverish. I think the poor thing was sunburned today in the 100 degree heat.

I will keep you posted.

She's a gorgeous heifer. I love that triangle profile, deep pelvis, ample udder, and that nicely sloped hip. Her calf should just pop out. She is loaded with broodiness. :)

The one that we have that was bred on July 12, is in labor as I am typing this. She started the first stage about 8:45 p.m.

mom

Well, today was the day. She had about a 100 lb calf. Her half sisters calf sired by the same bull was only 60 lbs. It had to be pulled. His hips were stuck. He has the widest loin I have ever seen in a newborn. The retired local vet supervised my son and his friend. At least the heifer waited until school was out to go into stage 2 labor.
Picture1.jpg

Picture_0011.jpg

mine calved today. heifer. she looks JUST like your calf too but smaller. 35 buzzards around her when i found them today. happy ending for the calf, buzzards-not so much.

Latest posts