How much do implants cost?

Help Support CattleToday:

It was a four pound rib roast been sitting in the fridge since before Christmas. I decided that was too small for a rib roast so I cut it into two steaks and grilled them over charcoal. While I was grilling my son told me he went to the whole foods organic food store one time and they don't sell charcoal or lighter fluid. They do sell organic wood chips and parafin which he bought and used to grill with.

Implants more than pay for themselves. We used to implant our steers. We don't anymore because we have a private treaty buyer - buys all steers sight unseen over our scales. He does not want them implanted, so we don't. But, our steers that go to Cornell U for the feedout program (we retain ownership thru harvest) get implanted there. We used to use Ralgro.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2uv9m6n3 said:
Implants more than pay for themselves. We used to implant our steers. We don't anymore because we have a private treaty buyer - buys all steers sight unseen over our scales. He does not want them implanted, so we don't. But, our steers that go to Cornell U for the feedout program (we retain ownership thru harvest) get implanted there. We used to use Ralgro.
at what age did u implant and how much difference n weight was there?

We implanted our steers at birth when we castrated them & I believe 120 days later?? Been many many years. I did not do my own research because we implanted all of them so did not have a "control" group to compare. I leave them up to the Univ. This is OLD OLD info - been researched since back when we got started. It has been proven time & time again that it pays to implant. Implants got a bad rap from "tree huggers" or whoever. They do not hurt the meat, or make girls have bigger headlights. :lol:

Most order buyers look for cattle that are not implanted, because they themselves implant as soon as they get them and they want the added growth. There are actually different strengths of implants and it is best to start out with the lowest and as they wear off, in I believe about 90 days ( if I'm wrong somebody correct me), increase the strength with the next one. The ranchers that I know that use them will usually implant three times before they sell, increasing the strength each time. Like said if you are not using them on terminal animals, you are giving away your money to the feed lots.

curtis":3l7ipte4 said:
piedmontese":3l7ipte4 said:
well my wife got a real nice set of implants about 10 yrs ago and they cost around $5,000.worth every penny and they seem to have weathered well.will try to post some pics if possible.

How big did it make her ears?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Implants will run from about .95c/dose on Synovex, on up to almost $8.00/dose on Revalor XS. The thing to remember when using an implant, is to start with Low Levels and work your way up, Granted, you can get better gain/growth, using a hotter implant, but you tend to burn the animal up to quickly, and they stall. Worse yet, if you don't keep them through finishing, a feedlot like ours, spends the higher $ for that terminal/ or last 110-130 day implant and get no results. Also, the reduces the grade on a lot of the animals.
If you would like a simple implant program try this,
550# or less-Ralgro
550-750# Synovex S or H
750# and up (depends a little on what the cattle look like, or how hard you are pushing them, but
Synovex Choice or Plus (when available) makes a nice finishing implant.
Yes, Implant guns are free, and so are the nice Implant trays for disinfecting the needle if you know where to go.
Currently there is a nationwide shortage on implants, and all but the Ralgro, Revalor XS, Revalor 200, Compudose and Encore are almost impossible to find. Looks like the shortage may last through the fall and into early spring.
Here is a link to find free implant guns/disinfecting trays. www.livestockconcepts.com

Latest posts