How much are my calves worth?

Help Support CattleToday:

jmorrison0722

Reaction score
I look after a neighbors land and longhorn cattle, which includes hauling them off to sale a few times a year or as needed. He has 60 acres and likes to keep the heard at around 10-12 head. In May, 3 calves were born and I need to sell them or take them to auction. My brother-in-law expressed interest in them, but I have no idea what a fair price would be.

I understand the market varies and their age and weight are also factors...but could someone give me a ballpark on what a 4-5 month old Longhorn female calf might be worth? I'm attaching a photo of one of them taken a month or two back.

Thanks!
Jeff in Dallas, TX

In Texas I have no idea. Selling single to a specialty market the answer is as much as to buyer will pay. Going through the sale here a chromed up longhorn heifer will bring about 60 cents a pound.

.75-$1 a lb at the barn if an individual wanted them. $400 would be fair in the country, maybe more if your comfortable asking for it.

$200-$250 sounds fair for a colorful longhorn heifer calf

There was a big mixed group of longhorn & Corriente calves ran thru the ring last week, $175 per head.

I'd love to have a sprinklin LH calves, on the high end of tie down size. They'd be worth the price of a beef calf to me.

Muddy":3ady7eoc said:

There was a big mixed group of longhorn & Corriente calves ran thru the ring last week, $175 per head.

If they are potentials or #1 ropers, they bring at least 50% more than beef calves right now. West Texas anyway.

NolanCountyAG":q7obypls said:
Muddy":q7obypls said:

If they are potentials or #1 ropers, they bring at least 50% more than beef calves right now. West Texas anyway.
This particular group was ex roping calves. Can't understand why they paid too much for these calves then when they're done with the calves they lost some $$ after sold them.

Muddy":34dv3qpu said:
NolanCountyAG":34dv3qpu said:
Muddy":34dv3qpu said:

This particular group was ex roping calves. Can't understand why they paid too much for these calves then when they're done with the calves they lost some $$ after sold them.
You've got that right. Those guys don't try to make a living off of them. I won't buy a longhorn even if I have an order for one, for fear I might get stuck with it. It is suprising what a lightweight longhorn will bring if 2 people start bidding on it though.

I'd run an add on Craigslist, just to make sure there wasn't a roper in your area dying to get their hands on them. That would definitely be the case here.

RanchMan90":39q8r276 said:
Muddy":39q8r276 said:
NolanCountyAG":39q8r276 said:
You've got that right. Those guys don't try to make a living off of them. I won't buy a longhorn even if I have an order for one, for fear I might get stuck with it. It is suprising what a lightweight longhorn will bring if 2 people start bidding on it though.
Yup, roping calves and horned calves are in huge demand in this area because of a strong rodeo community here. Occasionally some guys may retain the heifers for breeding stock, run them with a beef bull and sells them as bred.

Latest posts