How much alfalfa do I feed my 2 month old calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmangel

Reaction score
I have a calf who is 1/2 jersey, 1/2 angus. He has been eating 1/2 lb calf manna and 1-1/2 lb 3-way grain per day (as well as his bottle and will be weaned very soon!!) How much alfalfa should I be feeding him?

lilfarmangel":2m3qryxm said:
I have a calf who is 1/2 jersey, 1/2 angus. He has been eating 1/2 lb calf manna and 1-1/2 lb 3-way grain per day (as well as his bottle and will be weaned very soon!!) How much alfalfa should I be feeding him?
I realize it is a % of his body weight, I just don't know what that % is.

I just give my animals free choice on the hay.if u can get some good prairie or brome hay that would really be better in my opinion because alfalfa can cause a pretty loose stool and they dont need to be losing too much liquids in this heat.

piedmontese":32i1via3 said:
I just give my animals free choice on the hay.if u can get some good prairie or brome hay that would really be better in my opinion because alfalfa can cause a pretty loose stool and they dont need to be losing too much liquids in this heat.
You have bottle calves?

lilfarmangel":29dss8y5 said:
piedmontese":29dss8y5 said:
You have bottle calves?
not at the moment but we did raise over fifty in the past 12 months.

piedmontese":1vfmnlbm said:
lilfarmangel":1vfmnlbm said:
piedmontese":1vfmnlbm said:
You have bottle calves?
not at the moment but we did raise over fifty in the past 12 months.
What did you feed them in transition . . . from the bottle to ??

Amo":35p181o8 said:
Whats calf manna? Brand of feed?
It's a 25% Protein Pellet for calves, goats, horses, pigs, poultry & rabbits. Everything but sheep. Since I have goats, calves & poultry, it worked out pretty good. Now that the calves are getting older, I was hoping to learn how much hay/alfalfa to feed a weaning calf. I don't want to leave him on store-bought feed as his main source of nutrition! I have enough land for him to free-range on that I shouldn't have to keep him on store-bought feed, only suppliment with it. Until such a time that he will stay inside the fence (right now he still small enough that he can fold his legs up and runs through it!) I need to supply him with hay/alfalfa. I have reliable access to alfalfa, which is the reason for my original question.

From day one in the stall with outside access, they have a hay manger with a couple flakes of alfalfa/grass hay mix and then a couple flakes of grass hay or grass and oats hay mix. Some prefer one over the other, just provide the choice as I have those two mixes usually in small square bales. Then some type of starter mix or grain mix with beef pellets added to raise the protein. When we wean off of the bottles, we go to half bottles in the morning, full bottles at night. Then we go to no bottles in the morning, half bottles at night. After a week of that no bottles at night. We water using a lamb water trough and monitor how well they are eating and drinking water before deciding to start weaning. Anyone that looks thin sometimes gets held back and continued on milk, no use losing body condition just to ease the chore load. Like anyone elses farm, we have plenty of chores. :nod:

Latest posts