How Many Things Are Wrong With This?

Help Support CattleToday:

6M Ranch

Reaction score
Posting today in our local Craigslist:

"I would appreciate any advice I can get about raising a bottle calf(s). We bought a calf at the sale barn that is about 1-2 days old.We haven't ever raised any before but have raised bottle goats.Any advice about them would be greatly appreciated.How much and how often should we feed him?He is eating a full bottle at time. Is this enough? How often? What about vaccinations? He is buddied up with one of our goats for now so he's not alone.When should we start feeding hay/grain, and what's a good grain to start?How long should he be on the bottle before switching to a bucket? If your advice is negative please keep it to yourself, and thanks in advance for any advice.Thanks"

Why do people purchase any animal, from a hamster on up, without researching them first? I feel sorry for the calf.

Two Quarts of milk replacer twice a day should be fine , hopefully he got colostrum the first few days before you got him, that's important , If he's 3-4 days old you can start bucket training him , wash his bucket out after each feeding and keep clean water in front of him. for vacination I give a colostridium vaccine at about a week, but not if he's already sick. you can put grain and hay in front of him anytime from a few days old on , you might want to take a little bit of grain and put it in his mouth so he gets s taste of it, get a good calf starter grain 18-20% protien.

I will give them benifit of the doubt and say MAYBE just maybe they rescued the calf and need help now.

I agree-what were they doing at the sale anyway???!!! Poor calf. Books are cheap-especially at the library!

They already have livestock and livestock experience, knew the calf would enjoy a companion, have livestock bottles and pens - and knew enough to ask for help.

You will see a lot of these same questions on this board when someone who has had cattle for a long time suddenly ends up with a bottle.

I'll bet the calf does just fine.

ok guys cool it.most people do the the impulse buy an learn as they go along.that person really cares about the calf or they WOULD not be asking qs about the calfs care.

jonbri55":jynt3x59 said:
I agree-what were they doing at the sale anyway???!!! Poor calf. Books are cheap-especially at the library!
Haven't been to many sales lately have you? Saw about 2 dozen 1-2-3 day olds sell yesterday.

bigbull338":82guk451 said:
ok guys cool it.most people do the the impulse buy an learn as they go along.that person really cares about the calf or they WOULD not be asking qs about the calfs care.

Good point. Some people might know more than they act like they know and just ask questions looking for different ideas or ways of doing things.

This person is concerned and want's to do the right thing for the calf,or they wouldn't be asking questions.
Unfortunately we all were not born knowing all about cattle.(maby some) I get by but i'm still learning every day.
It's the people who don't ask questions we need to be concerned about.

Cal

shorty":pw5hura0 said:
Two Quarts of milk replacer twice a day should be fine , hopefully he got colostrum the first few days before you got him, that's important , If he's 3-4 days old you can start bucket training him , wash his bucket out after each feeding and keep clean water in front of him. for vacination I give a colostridium vaccine at about a week, but not if he's already sick. you can put grain and hay in front of him anytime from a few days old on , you might want to take a little bit of grain and put it in his mouth so he gets s taste of it, get a good calf starter grain 18-20% protien.

This is good advice to start with . the only thing I would add for now is to make sure you buy a good all milk replacer .If you have more questions just come back and ask,we will help the best we can .
One last thing, check for navel infection . An infected navel will be larger than a mans thumb and feel solid and cylindrical .If this is the case treat with 10 ml pen for several days .

Larry

6M Ranch":o6cf0jj0 said:
Posting today in our local Craigslist:

"I would appreciate any advice I can get about raising a bottle calf(s). We bought a calf at the sale barn that is about 1-2 days old.We haven't ever raised any before but have raised bottle goats.Any advice about them would be greatly appreciated.How much and how often should we feed him?He is eating a full bottle at time. Is this enough? How often? What about vaccinations? He is buddied up with one of our goats for now so he's not alone.When should we start feeding hay/grain, and what's a good grain to start?How long should he be on the bottle before switching to a bucket? If your advice is negative please keep it to yourself, and thanks in advance for any advice.Thanks"

Why do people purchase any animal, from a hamster on up, without researching them first? I feel sorry for the calf.

This is what I would say in a reply to them:

Hi there, and welcome.. :tiphat:

I would get a minimum of a 20-20-20 milk replacer and make sure it is real milk. Keep the calf on the bottle it is better for them.2 feedings of 4 pints is good for now but when your calf is 2 weeks old increase by a pint each feeding and then again in two weeks so it is getting 6 pints twice a day. Watch for milk scours and if they happen cut back. If your calf is a piggy "which is a very good thing" increase to three feedings a day and the key to bottle feeding is giving them as much milk as they can handle , as soon as the can handle it. Make sense? You can put good hay and a nice calf starter (18% dairy ration with decox) out for it when it is about a week old ( replenish often and keep it fresh) as well as clean water. They usually aren't interested in anything but the bottle until then. As far as vaccinating wait until the calf is at least 2-3 months old.

The rest is easy and fun make sure your calf is in a clean area with plenty of sun..

Good luck and enjoy your new baby.
:wave:

6M Ranch":2hywqe1x said:

Danged if I know. I've been asking myself that same question for quite a few years. :?

I guess my point was lost on many. I've raised all kinds of livestock all of my life, but I wouldn't go out and buy a cute little baby llama if I didn't know anything about them. I think it borders on animal abuse. Just like people buying chicks and ducks at Easter, then killing them within a few days, or dumping them in the country. Learn first, then buy. I'm also not sure why people are posting feeding instructions. While I'm ranting, my ongoing pet peeve, is people dumping their trash in the country. I'm not sure if this is a local phenomenon, but I get tired of used appliances, furniture, etc. on the side of the road. Just because my front yard is several hundred acres, doesn't mean it isn't as important as your lot in town. Since I'm not keen on prison, I hope I never run across someone dumping their garbage.

Latest posts