how many rolls of hay

Help Support CattleToday:

jrcattleranch

Reaction score
I was woundering how many rolls of hay does a cow need for the winter..
everyone is tell me different amounts.
Also, do i need to feed any grain?

depends on your location and if they have anything else to eat
here where I am at I figure a cow will eat a 1000lb bale per month and I base that on 5 months
so I make sure I have 5000lbs of hay per cow
I usually don't feed anywhere near that much but it is a nice feeling not having to worry if I am gonna run out of hay if we get a march snow storm of have an rare bad winter
if you hay is 9% protein or better than you shouldn't need any grain unless you are in a harsh environment

What is your location? You need to figure a cow needs about 3% of her body weight a day of roughage so a 1100 lb cow needs 1000 lbs of roughage a month plus her protein and mineral requirements. In Central Texas we figure 3 to 4 rolls a season which translates to $200 a cow or more.

I wouls say your weather is similar to mine and I would reccomend having 5000lbs per cow
don't go on what they person selling it says it weighs weaigh a few of them so you know
alot of guys bale 4-600lb 4x5 bales and 8-900lb 5x5 bales
if you buy your hay try to buy it by the ton and weigh all of it leaves no doubt that away

I have always figured mine 3 bales per cow.I have always had hay left. (knock on wood) Then again I have good pastures and rotate cows, back and forth across the road.

jrcattleranch":1ov22d3y said:
I was woundering how many rolls of hay does a cow need for the winter..
everyone is tell me different amounts.
Also, do i need to feed any grain?

If you ask in bales.......you are still going to get different amounts. Bales vary way to much.

I am estimating 8 hard core 4x5 bales (about 750-800 lb each) for 6 months of winter. That is 40 bales for my 4 cows and one bull. I suspect that my 4 weaned calves will be less than that. My wife is betting me that we won't go over 60 bales this winter.

The hay I am getting now is simply fantastic horse hay. Too good if you ask me and we are paying a pretty penny being in horse country.

It is likely a lot more winter here than where you are. We are still grazing and hope to continue for another month or so.

we figure a half roll per head per month here in the tulsa area and feed grain to supplement. we come out real close with that formula. the cattle have always remained in real good body condition. hay is 9% protein bermuda grass, sprayed and fertilized. don't forget to allow for waste which i estimate to be about 10%...we've been feeding them from the end of september - we neeeed rain!!

I feed 2 4x6 rolls per cow/yr. I rotationally graze and stockpile fescue. One thing to keep in mind is your calving season. If your calving in the late fall or early winter your hay consumption may be higher.

well with your help and no scale to weight the bale's we decided on 5 rolls per cow/calf/bull and they are 4x5's and hopefully that will get us thru the winter. Right now we are feeding a roll a day. So that's 150 rolls should take us untill april! Hopefully..

Latest posts