How many of you go to -

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
the auction when you are selling cattle. Or, under what circumstances do you decide to go or not go?

Just out of curiousity! Thanks

mitchwi":34qk9v35 said:
the auction when you are selling cattle. Or, under what circumstances do you decide to go or not go?

I like to go and watch to see how the animals do - curiousity kills me. Plus I like to see what everyone else is bringing in and compare.

I hate them, but have to use them ---Every known disease to livestock lives there,--My nieghbour buys 150 steers (450 pounders) some years he has a terrible time keeping them alive. Last year he lost 13 (Some rare disease) I calve all year round so I just take a handful to the auction at a time --wish I could find a buyer close to sell to-- I.d never enter the auction again

carl

I live 2 miles from the local sale barn so I go quite often and always when I have cattle going through.

I don't even use a truck half the time hauling lol, I just hook the livestock wagon to the tractor and bomb it down there when needed.

Carlos D.":13qhn4gb said:
I hate them, but have to use them ---Every known disease to livestock lives there,--My nieghbour buys 150 steers (450 pounders) some years he has a terrible time keeping them alive. Last year he lost 13 (Some rare disease) I calve all year round so I just take a handful to the auction at a time --wish I could find a buyer close to sell to-- I.d never enter the auction again

carl

We calve year round but it cost us money as we only go 2 times a year. Were fixing to fix that problem. It will take 3 years to get there. I figure were losing 100 pounds per calve on average..

TnWI":2u8o2flp said:
mitchwi":2u8o2flp said:

I like to go and watch to see how the animals do - curiousity kills me. Plus I like to see what everyone else is bringing in and compare.

That is exactly why I go also! At least everytime I can, sometimes when it'd be an odd cull or something, I didn't bother. I was just curious, as I've got a small load going this week, and I am trying like crazy to get things done at the office, so I can be at the sale!

Wewild":f4fipoxt said:
Carlos D.":f4fipoxt said:

carl

We calve year round but it cost us money as we only go 2 times a year. Were fixing to fix that problem. It will take 3 years to get there. I figure were losing 100 pounds per calve on average..

I am working to a fall calving season, spring calves bring more money and our winters are not a major factor.

mitchwi":1mx614nr said:
TnWI":1mx614nr said:
mitchwi":1mx614nr said:

That is exactly why I go also! At least everytime I can, sometimes when it'd be an odd cull or something, I didn't bother. I was just curious, as I've got a small load going this week, and I am trying like crazy to get things done at the office, so I can be at the sale!

Which auction place do you go to? I usually go to Marion - not a great place but its fun to watch, or stop by Carley in Marion to see what his prices are going for. I like going to Stratford, but rarely haul something that way - seems like they do fairly well there.

TnWI":1az0d00t said:
mitchwi":1az0d00t said:
TnWI":1az0d00t said:
mitchwi":1az0d00t said:

Which auction place do you go to? I usually go to Marion - not a great place but its fun to watch, or stop by Carley in Marion to see what his prices are going for. I like going to Stratford, but rarely haul something that way - seems like they do fairly well there.

We have gone to Equity in Altoona or Sparta, and I really like Zumbrota, but this load we are actually taking to Lanesboro. I've never been to this one, so it will be something new!

mitchwi":1mf4hggs said:

We used to go regularly, but our herd is so much smaller now that the folks have 'retired' (yeah, right! :lol: ), that we hardly ever go to watch ours sell. If time permits, Dad will go to the special calf sales during the fall run and, once in a while, he goes to other special sales, too.

We never go to watch at the local salebarn simply because time doesn't permit. We often go to other sales though (expos etc) We try to sell as many as possible private treaty.

mitchwi":p8advlgx said:

If I have cattle in the sale - I always stay or make sure I have someone stay for me. I trust the local barn but I don't want any surprises on that check!!!

I don't dare go! I'd come home with every skinny horse there! If I had money, that's what I'd do for recreation... :)

We sale at Navasota, on Saturdays. I try to stay everytime we sale, but sometimes there is just to much to be done to sit at the auction for 12-14 hrs. A lot of times I will go in late at night after dark when I'm too tired to do anything else. I'm shipping steers this weekend, the prices have started to slip and I can't hold them over to next year so I figure I'll go ahead and ship Saturday just in case the prices continue to slide. Does anyone forsee them coming back before the end of the year?

sidney411":5zbvbqry said:
We sale at Navasota, on Saturdays. I try to stay everytime we sale, but sometimes there is just to much to be done to sit at the auction for 12-14 hrs. A lot of times I will go in late at night after dark when I'm too tired to do anything else. I'm shipping steers this weekend, the prices have started to slip and I can't hold them over to next year so I figure I'll go ahead and ship Saturday just in case the prices continue to slide. Does anyone forsee them coming back before the end of the year?

I do indeed believe they will rebound. I think that the biggest problem right now is just numbers - so many feeders coming into the market, buyers can be very selective with the big numbers they are seeing. I sold in September this year to avoid this problem and not have to wait until Nov./Dec.

I went last night. Unfortunatley I forgot my check book. Prices were WAY off. One 400 pound red angus heifer in great shape went for 240 bucks. There was very few of anything young that went for over 1.00 per pound. The deal that I really missed was three BA 5 year old cows with 1 month old calves at their side. Two heifer calves and one bull calf. These were fancy cows and they sold for 950.00 per pair if bought all together. HAY shortages and dry weather has everyone selling off before winter sets in.

The last auction that I've been to that delt with having to sell cattle was over 10 years ago, and that's when we had a couple of steers we held back from going to the feedlot with the rest; one had footrot, the other had a deep wound in the thigh (accidental). Took them to Nilson Bros. in Clyde and sold them there to a butcher.

Now as for NON animal auctions, that was last summer (went to two auctions) when I went with Dad to buy a used auger. The first one that summer (before the one where the auger was bought) Dad and me were looking at getting a newer truck for grain and silage hauling, to replace our old tandem, but no luck, 'cause the price for it was too high.

We're happy with the auger though! :D

I work there ;-) .

But seriously, yes one of us always goes to the sale when our calves are selling. We like to watch them sell, and every now and then there is something that the buyers pick out of a bunch (or decide they don't really like) and if you are not there it will sell for whatever they can get. If you are there, then you can "no sale" it and bring it home. Did that last week, had 3 decent 576 lb black heifers that the buyers decided they didn't like for whatever reason. Wouldn't have made 550 on them if we had sold them. We will match them up with a couple others and sell them in the Select Open and Bred Heifer sale later on this fall.

Bullbuyer":32o3x6mo said:
I do indeed believe they will rebound. I think that the biggest problem right now is just numbers - so many feeders coming into the market, buyers can be very selective with the big numbers they are seeing. I sold in September this year to avoid this problem and not have to wait until Nov./Dec.
Buyers see the big numbers every starting about now and then Thanksgiving, Christmas Holidays and then New Years coming to let more snow in and hold prices down a few more weeks. If you are going to hold, plan to hold until spring.

When I sell, I watch mine go through. I have never P.O.'d one.

I have been to a few lately just kind of speculating and watching. I am probably going to pick up a few head soon. I figure next spring everything is going to be high. Everyone around here culled to the bone last year and some sold out completely this year. With everyone rebuilding, good heifers will be hard to come by, in this area.

Latest posts